Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 AM

62 posts, read 454,188 times

Advertisements

I'm just reading threads and information about Metrowest, and everyone is saying bad things about the Walmart. What is so bad about it? I come from a bad area in Massachusetts called Brockton and we have a Walmart and the city is full of crime. There are no problems at the Walmart though. Is it just the people you have a problem with by the way they look, or is there actually violence inside the Walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times
Whats so bad about it? Think about that Doug...its WAL-MART!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,649 times
I wasn't here before Metrowest was built, but I believe that Metrowest the community was there before the Walmart. Many people blame the construction of the Walmart for the increase of crime in that area (or at least the crime that was a big issue there 3-4 years ago). They say that the Walmart attracted people to that area that did not live there. These people traveled to Walmart from Pine Hills (the area north of Colonial Drive between Kirkman and Mercy Drive), and some people went as far as to call Metrowest "Pine Hills South."

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM

calling Metrowest "Pine Hills South" is extreme in my opinion, even with the crime they had 3-4 yrs ago

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Whats so bad about it? Think about that Doug...its WAL-MART!
Load us all with information... whats your point?

Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
My mom and I used to shop there before the new Wal-Mart on Turkey Lake was built.. I don't recall seeing anything crime-wise but there were sometimes shady people in the parking lot. Not even shopping it seemed, just hanging out.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Load us all with information... whats your point?
Wal-Mart is trashy and low class IMO. They are the robber barrons of America, pricing smaller mom-and-pop or local chain stores out of business. They have even put suppliers out of business because of their relentless push to get prices as low as possible while remaining profitable

They are also slave drivers with their employees and no matter HOW BUSY Wal-Mart may get, they never have more then 5 registers open, the lines are always a mile long

The Wal-Mart on John Young and Sand Lake is closest to my house, and I never stop there unless it is a desperate situation, or NOBODY ELSE is open. Otherwise I just cross over drive right past it, cross over Sand Lake, and continue north on John Young

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
Great another thread to start the usual blah blah blah trashing of Walmart. So boring. And I guess now that I am trashy and low class. I did not know that. I'll call my friends that I had lunch with yesterday at Season's 52 and let them know of this new development.

OP..you'll find some people on this board like to lump entire areas in one neat little package. And it's usually in a negative light.

The area AROUND Walmart is not the best to say the least. When it was built it brought in the elements from Raliegh St and other portions of the not so nice Orlo Vista area...but you really can't say ALL of Metro West is bad. If you stick to the Hiawassi side it's quite nice.

For those who want to continue to bash WalMart please feel free to go to the shopping threads...that's where such rants belong.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Great another thread to start the usual blah blah blah trashing of Walmart. So boring. And I guess now that I am trashy and low class. I did not know that. I'll call my friends that I had lunch with yesterday at Season's 52 and let them know of this new development.

OP..you'll find some people on this board like to lump entire areas in one neat little package. And it's usually in a negative light.

The area AROUND Walmart is not the best to say the least. When it was built it brought in the elements from Raliegh St and other portions of the not so nice Orlo Vista area...but you really can't say ALL of Metro West is bad. If you stick to the Hiawassi side it's quite nice.

For those who want to continue to bash WalMart please feel free to go to the shopping threads...that's where such rants belong.
I apologize Granny Sue, I did not mean to call Wal-Mart's customers trashy, I was saying the store itself and the some of the people who work there. The stores actually have gotten a lot better IMO. The one on Turkey Lake Road by Dr Phillips seems pretty nice, and several stores are being remodeled inside to give them a less sterile, more upscale look.

I wont bash Wal-Mart here on the Orlando thread anymore

Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,089 times
The WalMart in Metrowest really did change the area for the worse. It attracted a demographic that wasn't present before it opened. The apartments directly across on Kirkman suffered the most, but the entire area was affected. Walmarts in other states, namely small towns, are very nice and worthwhile. The Walmarts within city limits usually attract a shady customer base and Metrowest is a shining example of that. I don't care who says what, I witnessed the area first hand go down the toilet when that Walmart opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: