Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,255 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a condo and move to the Orlando area this summer. I will be working at Disney on 3rd shift and taking classes at first at Valencia West, then at UCF. I am concerned about finding a decently safe area to live in; I'm a young woman, who won't have a roommate at first and will be leaving for work relatively late at night.

My real estate agent just sent me a bunch of listings in my price range and at a reasonable distance from Disney, and about 90% of them are in Metrowest. I've heard that Metrowest is a high crime area and is just down the street from an even higher crime area, but there are some pockets of relatively decent neighborhoods. The majority of these listings are east of Kirkman Rd. north and south of the Valencia West campus. Is that area just as bad as the reputation of Metrowest leads one to believe? Most of the listings also tout "walking distance to Valencia West Campus" - would this even be safe to do? Some other listings are immediately north of Universal, is this area any better?

I have a feeling I'll be axing almost this entire list based on safety concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
I used to live there years ago and it was very bad. (as a single woman) I would NOT live in the area you described. In case I wasn't clear, do not do it!!!! I would also not walk to campus.

I'm not sure of the area immediately north of Universal.

I think you can call the local police dept and they will tell you about activity at each complex.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
I used to live out there, about a year and a half ago. Never had a problem. There were cops EVERYWHERE though, and they'll stop to talk to you if you're walking at night because of the high crime. Though I used to walk all the time, and never had a problem with crime. Though I will say, avoid Studio Parc.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the responses! That was what I was expecting. I'd be nervous if there was a need for cops to be in the neighborhood all the time. I'll hopefully be looking in safer neighborhoods from now on.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM

My Realtor is still pushing Metrowest. She says that the gated communities are very safe. Is this true? Here in AZ gated communities are more costly and have an illusion of safety, but the truth is that anyone can just enter the emergency vehicle code to gain access. The gates are usually wide open during the day, too. Any different in FL?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Keep in mind not only the price of the condo but the HOA fees and taxes.
A condo that might look like a cash bargain may end up costing more in the long term.
Coming down for the first time, my advice would be to rent for at least a year.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks mongoslade223. That option has been looking more and more appealing of late.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,835 times
I am thinking of purchasing a condo as an investment, as i am from the UK not sure what is ans is not a good area can anyone give me guidance not from an agents point of view

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
My Realtor is still pushing Metrowest. She says that the gated communities are very safe. Is this true? Here in AZ gated communities are more costly and have an illusion of safety, but the truth is that anyone can just enter the emergency vehicle code to gain access. The gates are usually wide open during the day, too. Any different in FL?

My son lived in Metro West for a couple years right on Kirkman about 3 blocks North of the Walmart if I remember correctly. They nerver had any problems, but there were lots of police activity at neighboring apartments. We were glad he moved. It actually is kind of a distance for commuting-took about 1/2 hour each way at least and in I-4s heavy traffic for him. He was also a student at UCF at the time so some days he would drive to the dschool and others to work at Disney.

He is so much happier living out in the western part of Kissimmee off of 192(west of I-4) . He actually found a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with 2 car garage for less money than he was paying for the apartment. He is about 10-15 minutes from his job at Disney so it is easy commute. There is plenty of shopping on Rt 27 which is close by. Might want to check out the 27/192 area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando