Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,335,974 times

Advertisements

Classic Lemon of the Week: Suzuki X-90 (1996-1998)

By David Menzies
With the arrival of summer and in honour of that beloved bittersweet beverage, lemonade, from now until fall, we shall present a look back at some of the most memorable lemons of yesteryear on a weekly basis. We’re talking design disasters, marketing misfits, engineering errors and aesthetic abominations.
This week’s candidate: the ill-conceived and poorly-executed Suzuki X-90.
Talk about a segment buster: when the X-90 debuted in 1996, not even Suzuki knew how to classify this oddball automotive runt. Indeed, upon sober second thought, automobile aficionados the world over still wonder: just what the heck was the X-90?

Suzuki billed the vehicle as “the world’s first two-seater sports car off-roader.” At least they got the two-seater part right…
This goofy-looking vehicle certainly wasn’t sporty enough to be labeled a sports car. And it didn’t help matters that it was saddled with an underwhelming 1.6-litre motor derived from the Suzuki Vitara (Sidekick).
As for off-roading, only a fool would take this vehicle to the Jeep Jamboree given that it was anything but a rough and tumble 4X4.
Styling-wise, the front and rear ends of the X-90 were so inexplicably similar that a running joke at the time was that the X-90 didn’t know whether it was coming or going.
And as a “cute ute”, the X-90 offered precious little utility. Indeed, when its T-roof panels were removed and stored in the trunk, there wasn’t much room for anything else in there.
In fact, the X-90 was such a mysterious mishmash of half-baked concepts and styles, the vehicle really should’ve been featured on one of the hottest shows of the ’90s, The X-Files. Then again, it’s doubtful that even Scully and Mulder would’ve been able to determine why this made-in-Japan fiasco was given the green light for mass-production in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
I remember that little crapbox. A friend tried one out once and pulled it up to a jobsite I was on. Parked next to the Ford F-350 crew cab dually I had, and when I pointed out the fact that the entire car fit inside the wheelbase of the truck and asked how would he like to get in a wreck with it, he just nodded. Took it out for a spin and what a poor riding POS that thing was. Bet it got decent mileage though. butt-ugly and poor riding, coupled with being slow, no room, and utterly lacking power; it's a wonder they lasted a couple of years in production.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,026,566 times
All the platform and engine of a Geo Tracker, but none of the room to actually carry stuff. I remember them, but never was sure why someone would buy it.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,504,632 times
This was sweet. Keep 'em coming.

As undecided as I am about what I want to pluck off to keep miles off my F150, I am even more clueless about what this rig was actually intended to do!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM

30 posts, read 102,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I remember that little crapbox. A friend tried one out once and pulled it up to a jobsite I was on. Parked next to the Ford F-350 crew cab dually I had, and when I pointed out the fact that the entire car fit inside the wheelbase of the truck and asked how would he like to get in a wreck with it, he just nodded. Took it out for a spin and what a poor riding POS that thing was. Bet it got decent mileage though. butt-ugly and poor riding, coupled with being slow, no room, and utterly lacking power; it's a wonder they lasted a couple of years in production.
I love mine. Doubt I'll ever sell it. It's slow and has no power, no question there. For a little two seater it has lots of room, I love the ride, it's one of the more comfortable two seaters I've had (and I've had a lot of 2 seaters, Miata, Del Sol, Reatta, even an SLK). The 4X4 comes in handy and I like having the capability if needed. I love the T-tops. I like them better than a convertible top, easy to pop in and out and great in the winter it's like having a hardtop with a view.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM

664 posts, read 2,095,572 times
A year later the Isuzu Vehicross debuted. A far better 4x4 "cute ute".

Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 42,136 times
I have yet to put mine on the road as I'm doing some preventative bodywork rust and waterproofing ready for the winter, but I love it, it's small yet drives like a big jeep (Maybe partly due to fat tyres) + its higher than most cars so theres good visibility (except within a 4 foot radius of the X-90 lol!) Targa top is brilliant, quick and easy to remove, despite what they say there is a fair bit of storage space behind seats and in the boot, enough for two people to go away for the weekend or longer I imagine..
There was nearly a new rival on the block, called the Kia Soulster which looks quite cool, but they decided to not take it past the "Concept" stage like Suzuki, which reminds me, I have seen a pic of a 2007 X90 it looks cool but I cannot find any other info on it, has anyone heard of it being produced again?? To see my little bucking bronco see "CrustyBiker" profile on You Tube and also check my X90 walkaround, it has Twin spot headlamps and body kit and AC Cobra style side exit exhaust pipes...
Cheers

Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,114,572 times
Those X-90s are very popular in my local poor latino neighborhood. Dozens of 'em.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 AM

4 posts, read 42,136 times
Default a concept rival that got scrapped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
A year later the Isuzu Vehicross debuted. A far better 4x4 "cute ute".
This was almost another rival...the Kia Soulster

Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 AM

88 posts, read 247,290 times
Default x-90

I had an x-90 for several years and loved it,it was great in the snow and the best thing about it is I never had to put money in it for repairs,just your regular maintance.I drove it from NY to NM then to Ohio. The only reason I sold it is because I inherited my son's dog and then a 2nd dog and with the two of them traveling by plane was no longer an option so.....had to get a bigger vehicle.i do miss my little x-90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands