Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
The 8C and 4C are both very attractive cars. Regardless of price point it would be nice to see a few on the roads.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
I want the 8C Competizione instead but the price needs to be 1/3.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
In the Eighties, one of my cousins was being ignored by all the sororities at her school. Her parents rushed out and bought her a little red Alpha Romeo. She was immediately rushed by one of the top sororities. Suddenly, she was a 'suzie'.

The brakes on the Alpha Romeo failed - just basically disappeared - and she was nearly killed. Shortly thereafter, she de-pledged (that's OK, she'd already met her future Husband, who went on to found a fairly large IT company). As a result of her near-death, that corner of the family refuses to buy "foreign cars", and when we met them, they immediately started warning us about the dangers of our driving VOLVOS! We had to explain the difference between the Italian Mind and the Swedish Mind. (We're Native Americans, and it has been a matter of survival, among our people, to distinguish between the different varieties of White People). The brakes on pre-Ford Volvos were totally reliable. I still don't think that they get it, and to this day all drive American death traps. When we suggest an S-Class, they immediately get bug-eyed, and start telling, again, about the brakes on that little red Alpha Romeo. Like a Mercedes is anywhere near... Alpha Romeo has made them terrified of all European cars!

Oh, and by the way, that is a gorgeous car!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
i've actually seen that 8c Competizione here on the Westside of LA racing up & down Mandeville Cyn where one of my colleagues lives. It's freakin gorgeous, but understated. From the front it looks very Maserati-like and I wouldn't have looked twice unless i noticed the triangle grill.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
THe problam with Alfa in the US, much like Peugeot and Renault and Fiat, was that they considered the US to be a secondary market and never set up parts distribution networks that actually worked. All cars break, but if you can't get parts for them, even at the dealer, then a broken car becomes a dead car that is scrapped. And a bad taste is left in the consumer's mouth. The example that Gloria gave, above, could have happened to any car (and has happened to examples from every brand). The difference is what happens when you have to fix them.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

74 posts, read 147,950 times
specs of 4c

Category: two seater coupé;
Chassis: carbon fibre structure, front and rear aluminium crash boxes, hybrid rear structure (steel and aluminium);!!!!!!!!
Weight: less than 850 kg;1873lbs!!!!!!!!!!!
Dimensions: length approximately 4 metres, wheelbase less than 2.4 metres;
Drive: rear;
Engine: 4 cylinder, 1750cc Turbopetrol;
Gearbox: TCT (Twin Clutch Transmission), automatic transmission with twin dry clutch;!!!!!
Suspension: high double wishbone at the front; McPherson at the rear;
Power: over 200 HP;
Top speed: over 250 km/h;155mp/h
0 to 100 km/h(60mph)h: in 4.5 seconds;!!
Weight to power ratio: less than 4 kg/HP;
Weight distribution: 40% on front axle, 60% on rear axle.
(i made the conversion from metric myslef so there can be some mistakes)
its is impossible to cost 20-30k!!!! most of these you find them only in racing cars

Alfas in Europe weren't reliable either. Especialy the 90s 2000s models were a nightmare. But they have some unique characteristics and people were buying. Firstly they look nice and secondly the steering-brakes-handling. Especialy the steering, it can't be described in words how amazing it feels.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
THe problam with Alfa in the US, much like Peugeot and Renault and Fiat, was that they considered the US to be a secondary market and never set up parts distribution networks that actually worked. All cars break, but if you can't get parts for them, even at the dealer, then a broken car becomes a dead car that is scrapped. And a bad taste is left in the consumer's mouth. The example that Gloria gave, above, could have happened to any car (and has happened to examples from every brand). The difference is what happens when you have to fix them.
Came in post this.
Repped!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surudos View Post
specs of 4c

Category: two seater coupé;
Chassis: carbon fibre structure, front and rear aluminium crash boxes, hybrid rear structure (steel and aluminium);!!!!!!!!
Weight: less than 850 kg;1873lbs!!!!!!!!!!!
Dimensions: length approximately 4 metres, wheelbase less than 2.4 metres;
Drive: rear;
Engine: 4 cylinder, 1750cc Turbopetrol;
Gearbox: TCT (Twin Clutch Transmission), automatic transmission with twin dry clutch;!!!!!
Suspension: high double wishbone at the front; McPherson at the rear;
Power: over 200 HP;
Top speed: over 250 km/h;155mp/h
0 to 100 km/h(60mph)h: in 4.5 seconds;!!
Weight to power ratio: less than 4 kg/HP;
Weight distribution: 40% on front axle, 60% on rear axle.
(i made the conversion from metric myslef so there can be some mistakes)
its is impossible to cost 20-30k!!!! most of these you find them only in racing cars

Alfas in Europe weren't reliable either. Especialy the 90s 2000s models were a nightmare. But they have some unique characteristics and people were buying. Firstly they look nice and secondly the steering-brakes-handling. Especialy the steering, it can't be described in words how amazing it feels.
You had me till you said "automatic transmission." Leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 AM

326 posts, read 673,086 times
It's not really an automatic transmission. No torque converter so no "slush-box". It's like Porsche's PDK or VWs DKG. Very fast shift times and paddle control (but also an automatic mode I guess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands