Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:23 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who feels tired about the hate-mongering, homophobia, racism, xenophobia, intolerance and general pettiness on show by some posters?
I am actually quite shocked at some comments by people who seem to only have one purpose: to spread discord, hatred and general fear and hysteria over just about anything. How many people like me here who think that the world is sufficiently full of all of the above without adding to the general misery by showing hateful ignorance and intolerance towards others simply because of their race, colour,creed or sexual orientation???
The most shocking things to me is that some of these people even profess to be Christians. Here I was thinking Christianity was about Love, tolerance and following a modicum of civility and understanding. If this is what God really does to people then may the gods help us ( I don't believe in any but you know what I mean) . The savagery of some of the attacks on others is relentless as well utterly depressing to behold.
I guess I will have now unleashed a torrent of abuse for being some "pinko/freaky liberal/socalist/bleeding heart etc... , please try to abstain, I don't think I can take much more. It is just so sad and gloom inducing.

There are so many lovely people on this forum and so many intelligent articulate ones too and yet all their loveliness is overshadowed and negated by the horrid and virulent spoutings of utter ignorant rubbish of the few. Somehow they manage to grab the limelight. Their negativity is just really unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
I am 'beyond tired'--it's all over the internet because society is saturated, permeated with age old problems. I try not to be overwhelmed or anxious but we have seen time and time again how one or a few really antisocial individuals can do serious injury to all.

All the issues/problems have been analyzed over and over again--we have a sick society.

Try hard to avoid contact with what you find offensive. Cast your vote accordingly--that is what most of us do.

sls

Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
I completly agree that there is a lot of rascism and intolerance and hate on some of these forums. This is most prevelant in the immigration, Southern california and Miami forums. A number of posters there are filled with hate of anyone of different races there and extreme intolerance of others on those forums is truly sad. I would consider those who spew this hate on those forums to be of the same level as the extremists in the Middle east and perhaps they should seek help for their personal issues. That being said, the MAJORITY of the members on this site seem to be good people sharing ideas, don't lose faith!

Old 06-25-2007, 04:06 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I completly agree that there is a lot of rascism and intolerance and hate on some of these forums. This is most prevelant in the immigration, Southern california and Miami forums. A number of posters there are filled with hate of anyone of different races there and extreme intolerance of others on those forums is truly sad. I would consider those who spew this hate on those forums to be of the same level as the extremists in the Middle east and perhaps they should seek help for their personal issues. That being said, the MAJORITY of the members on this site seem to be good people sharing ideas, don't lose faith!
Thank you for the positive note, I really need that at the moment, I feel completely drained and having some heated exchanges with some people is really starting to make me feel ill. I think it's just impotent rage !
Also I quite agree that some of the hatred spewed up by some is just as dangerous and alarming as the Muslim fundamentalists we are so terrified of . Though of course hatred is acceptable if directed the other way ...

Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I dislike seeing ignorant posts; sometimes I will try to "enlighten" the person and sometimes I will just ignore them. I don't see them too often though.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Welcome to the internet moose hehe. The world is full of hatefull people, and give them access to the internet they tend to congregate to pat each other on the back.

Best you can do is just not visit the forums you spoke of.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
If you don't like what you read in a specific fourm then don't go there, don't read topics that offend you, it's simple.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If you don't like what you read in a specific fourm then don't go there, don't read topics that offend you, it's simple.
True, sadly--there will be headline news relevant to the issues that provoke such intense hostility and I don't know how anyone can remain entirely objective.

I don't go to these forums--having heard far too many such discussions elsewhere and I don't really want to visit the Southwest because of what I have heard. Including California in that. most of the state.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Quote:
I dislike seeing ignorant posts; sometimes I will try to "enlighten" the person
That reminds me of a quote by Robert Heinlein:
Quote:
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
I think you are trying to teach the pig to sing. Liz

Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,395 times
Solution: poke fun at them, get them angry until they get tired of their own anger and learn to laugh at themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics