Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! Today's Tip is part two of a mega-tip about how to get a better night's sleep. I've deleted parts of the paragraphs below, but will put a link to the web site at the end for those of you who expressed interest in reading even more on this. As soon as I'm done posting, I'm going to bed to get some Zzzzzzzzzzs!

How to sleep better tip 3: Create a relaxing bedtime routine -
If you make a consistent effort to relax and unwind before bed, you will sleep easier and more deeply.

Turn off your television -
Many people use the television to fall asleep or relax at the end of the day. Television actually stimulates the mind, rather than relaxing it.

Relaxing bedtime rituals to try
Read a light, entertaining book or magazine
Take a warm bath
Listen to soft music
Enjoy a light snack
Do some easy stretches
Wind down with a favorite hobby
Listen to books on tape
Make simple preparations for the next day

How to sleep better tip 4: Get stress and anxiety in check
  • If you can’t stop yourself from worrying, especially about things outside your control, you need to learn how to manage your thoughts. For example, you can learn to evaluate your worries to see if they’re truly realistic and learn to replace irrational fears with more productive thoughts.
  • If the stress of managing work, family, or school is keeping you awake, you need help with stress management. By learning how to manage your time effectively, handle stress in a productive way, and maintain a calm, positive outlook, you’ll be able to sleep better at night.
Relaxation techniques for better sleep -

Relaxation is beneficial for everyone, but especially for those struggling with sleep. Practicing relaxation techniques before bed is a great way to wind down, calm the mind, and prepare for sleep. Some simple relaxation techniques include:
  • Deep breathing. Close your eyes—and try taking deep, slow breaths—making each breath even deeper than the last.
  • Progressive muscle relaxation. Starting at your toes, tense all the muscles as tightly as you can, then completely relax. Work your way up from your feet to the top of your head.
  • Visualizing a peaceful, restful place. Close your eyes and imagine a place or activity that is calming and peaceful for you. Concentrate on how relaxed this place or activity makes you feel.
How to sleep better tip 5: Eat right and get regular exercise
Your daytime eating and exercise habits play a role in how well you sleep. It’s particularly important to watch what you put in your body in the hours leading up to your bedtime.
  • Stay away from big meals at night.
  • Avoid alcohol before bed. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol reduces your sleep quality, waking you up later in the night. To avoid this effect, so stay away from alcohol in the hours before bed.
  • Cut down on caffeine. You might be surprised to know that caffeine can cause sleep problems up to ten to twelve hours after drinking it! Consider eliminating caffeine after lunch or cutting back your overall intake.
  • Avoid drinking too many liquids in the evening.
  • Quit smoking.
You’ll also sleep more deeply if you exercise regularly. You don’t have to be a star athlete to reap the benefits—as little as twenty to thirty minutes of daily activity helps. And you don’t need to do all thirty minutes in one session. You can break it up into five minutes here, ten minutes there, and still get the benefits. Try a brisk walk, a bicycle ride, or even gardening or housework.

http://helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
I got sleepy just thinking about all of those tips, lol I can sleep just about anywhere at anytime.

There's some good information in the original post!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,393 times
Reading makes me sleep every time!!! Thanks for the long a$$ post Pam!!! ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,140,374 times
The body is tired~it's shutting the brain down that's hard...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,415,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Yep, me too

Thanks for the tips Pam/PJ

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
I do this too, mine even turn into irrational fear/thoughts and I really have to concentrate to think about other things like Disneyland or something.

Last edited by tasmtairy; 10-27-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,691,251 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Reading makes me sleep every time!!! Thanks for the long a$$ post Pam!!! ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ahahahahaha! Good one, Sweetie Pie! Tomorrow's Tip and the ones to follow will be brief - promise!

A few people DM'd me, though, very interested in the rest of the sleep tips from the web site. That's why the two lengthy Tips. Back to normal tomorrow.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,180,148 times
Awe shucks I just get frustrated and angry, get up walk around a bit lay back down and fall asleep... Great tips Pam thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,642 times
Quote:
Yep, me too. My mind just races about all the stuff left undone. Being overtired really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics