Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Advertisements

Kids, I'm posting Today's Tip for Monday early so that the greatest number of people can benefit from it. The Tip comes from Tek_Freek, so please help me thank Tek for this helpful information.

Driving in Hazardous Winter Conditions

All of you living down south please be careful in the coming storm. It looks like you are going to get a nasty mix in some areas. Drive carefully, don't tail gate. If you need to slow down or stop, and you have ABS, remember to "stomp, stay, and steer." Keep that brake pedal to the metal and let the system do its job. Your job is steering (and staying calm). If you don't have ABS, pump the brakes quickly and repeatedly to let the tires grip as you stop. Leaving your foot on the brake without ABS locks the wheels and you are then in an uncontrollable slide. No steering possible.

If you wear glasses and are about to hit something take off your glasses if you have time. Air bags and glasses are a nasty mix. Stuff in a shirt pocket and seat belts aren't too friendly in an accident either. I often take everything out of my shirt pocket when I drive in the winter.

Tek, thanks again for this information which may help some of our C-D family to stay safe in their cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Ouch! Good advice Pam and Tek! People up in the north where it snows all the time surely don't invest much in automobiles. I mean it must be impossible to get anywhere without dinging all your fenders or worse! Yeah down here the pinheads start crashing after a lite drizzle! Snow while rare does happen here and it's a real experience for the knuckleheads! Air bags will burn you too!! Ones in the dash will break the windshield when they go off!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Actually Satx, inclement weather doesn't bother us in the north as far as driving. We've grown up with it and are used to it and its idiosycracies. While I appreciate the advice given by Tek, I would never 'stomp' on my break when attempting to stop in the snow with front wheel drive. I would gradually, but firmly apply the break, waiting for it to grab, while at the same time, steering WITH the direction the car is heading, waiting for the tires to GRAB the surface before applying firmer pressure to stop completely and turning the wheel. But that's just me after 54 years in New England.

With rear wheel drive, I would quickly tap and relax the breaks as he stated.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Good tips, Pam and Tek.

I learned to drive in Kansas. I can usually handle icy roads. It snowed today in north Texas. It was beautiful. I miss the snow. It's the other drivers that worry me.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
This is a great tip, Pam. Many drivers up in the GWN are now using snowtires. I think more people are driving carefully, but there are also more people driving big trucks and SUV's now, that drive like they are in a road derby or something. Best thing in bad weather is when the Queen's Cowboys close the highways, or pull these idiots over. A large fine a time or two and some demerits, gives them the idea that this is not cool.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Unhappy Eek

This video link was provided by Tek earlier and others might not have seen it. Thus I thought it best to bring it back to this thread for review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exA...layer_embedded

I don’t discount the wording of the “tip” and how to drive on slippery streets and roads, however “look” closer at all these vehicles when they start sliding down the street. No one takes their foot off the brake to allows the front wheels to turn and steer away from the cars parked at the curb lane. ABS brakes are suppose to prevent skids like this ,,,, but they all seem to end up in the same location at the curb lane and hitting other vehicles. My point simply is ~ if ABS fails to allow you to steer away from the direction of the skid, then YOU need to pump the brakes and allow the front wheels to turn and take you into a different direction. You can steer away from a skid if the front wheels are turning. (in some cases)

Driving on ice or snow is NOT something that inexperienced drivers should be doing, stay home and don’t go to work if there’s ice or snow on the streets. It’s better to miss a days work then to get injured or smash up the car for a days pay.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Pam Thanks for the glasses tip. I wear them all the time and I also have wondered about the air bags. It's been in the back of my mind.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 AM

821 posts, read 861,660 times
Good tips be safe driving everyone

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I do not like ABS brakes ! I prefer to use my own expertise in these situations. I've avoided accidents many times by having to let up on the brakes to regain traction. ABS is for novices.. My older Suburban has a split system so I must be on my toes in an emergency!
If you're actually driving on ice there is no control regardless of experience. Experience might help you avoid a situation though.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Fortunately I don't have to worry about that here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics