Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,353,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how about>>>Eyjafjallajokull.. people will difinitely remember that name.. don't know if they could spell it though..

how about heather, or maybe even tinkerbell.??
Coming from Norway, I always found it amusing how hard it was for furriners to say that name.

There were actually news stories solely about US news reporters problems pronouncing it. It made us giggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
Don't change your name. No one will feel disrespected. It will actually be fun for them to learn to pronounce your own unique name and will be a great way to make new friend.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,610,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Don't change your name. No one will feel disrespected. It will actually be fun for them to learn to pronounce your own unique name and will be a great way to make new friend.
I agree! The friends you meet here might come up with a nickname you like after they get to know you, too.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,411,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
How about Hannah? It's easy to pronounce and that's the one that popped into my mind when I saw "Honglin".

If I were changing my name, I would choose one that is easy to understand and to spell so I wouldn't have to spell it for people every time I told them my name.

Good one.. AND, spelling it forward and backward is ALWAYS the same!!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,411,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshp90 View Post
Generally, I want my English name to be somewhat unique. And as many names have different form of spelling, they might be confusing some times. So I want to avoid that too. After doing some research on the Internet, these following names came to my notice.
Birgit
Aleonore
Ceinwen
Atalie
Bedelia
Austine
I’ve never been to the US before; so your opinion is deeply appreciated. Do you think they suit a 21 years old brunette hair female? I want a name sounds urban, smart, cool, caring and maybe attractive. And I welcome any other suggestions or comments.

Besides, my original name can be romanized to Honglin. Is it hard to pronounce? How will you spell a name pronounced like /hɔŋ’ lin/ or /hɔn’ lin/?
~~ I can't even pronounce some of them.. Those sound like "older" women names. Not for a young person.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,353,120 times
Quote:
I'm sure no one will feel disrespected, but if the OP keeps an "exotic" name, be prepared to spell it OFTEN and then check for typos.

My last name isn't even horribly exotic (it's Scandinavian), but I've yet to have anyone manage to spell it on the first go, even after I spell it out for them (which I do automatically now). Even the Border Patrol officer (who entered my name into the USCIS database) managed to get it wrong, when he had my passport to go by.

I'm therefor currently listed with two last names in the SSN database.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,910,831 times
I like Anna Han.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,686,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshp90 View Post
Dear all. I am about to stay in the US for a couple of years as an international graduate student, so I’d like to pick an English name as it won't be difficult to pronounce as my original name. And I am doing this also to show my respect and consideration for others.

I used to like the name Katelyn. I have used it for few years. But recently after seeing some comments, for example, “it’s too dull or too popular and reminds them of someone else they met before”, I think maybe I should give it up before everybody know me as Katelyn.

Generally, I want my English name to be somewhat unique. And as many names have different form of spelling, they might be confusing some times. So I want to avoid that too. After doing some research on the Internet, these following names came to my notice.
Birgit
Aleonore
Ceinwen
Atalie
Bedelia
Austine
I’ve never been to the US before; so your opinion is deeply appreciated. Do you think they suit a 21 years old brunette hair female? I want a name sounds urban, smart, cool, caring and maybe attractive. And I welcome any other suggestions or comments.

Besides, my original name can be romanized to Honglin. Is it hard to pronounce? How will you spell a name pronounced like /hɔŋ’ lin/ or /hɔn’ lin/?
Never seen those names before.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This is news to me - what names are you thinking of? And why do you assume the father's have no say in naming their daughters? This is a strange statement.
McKenzie is one that immediately comes to mind ...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
I was waiting for someone to say this and I agree wholeheartedly ...

Edited: as Maggi07 mentioned, why not adopt a nickname that folks can call you instead of changing your given name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics