Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,727 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have a stash of red envelopes for special occassions - wedddings, birthdays, Chinese New Year, births. I'm glad that the banks that service the Chinese gives them away, too, b'c sometimes you just don't have one around!

For my wedding, my husband forced me to register. Everybody I invited gave us money - even my white friends - and everybody on his side gave us gifts. I know he wished that more people on my side came. Heehee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It does come back it DOES!!! You did an awfully nice thing for someone and I'm sure the guy good use out of it. Karma does exist, I promise!
I know I cant help myself do it again and have done similar things since - it has -

Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly63 View Post
Did you or your friend explain to the gift-giver about the clock being bad luck? Did your friend make the nasty comments to the gift-giver ? If they truly didn't know the significance of the clock, then they probably got their feelings hurt just as bad or more than your friend.

No kidding! Way to assume everyone knows all about every ones culture!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 PM

72,435 posts, read 18,214,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Long time ago I got a newer junky used car than the one I had - so someone convinced me to give my other car still in pretty good shape maybe worth a couple few hundred bucks to a friend Viet Vet on some hard times. So I did - He had to bring it home so I left my plates on it so he could get it back and I asked for the plates back so I could transfer it etc.

Well I never got the plates, had my registration revoked, my insurance canceled, and my license suspended. Needless to say I wasn't too happy about that - never heard from the guy again - o well have to try to be nice in this world - rarely comes back - but what are you going to do.
That was really nice of you.Someone will appreciate you very much

Old 07-28-2007, 12:00 AM

Never give knives fork sets either,it's like saying that the couple will have lots of arguments.Some say don't leave it out on the countertop,put it in the drawers,then eveything will be all right.
I personally would give them red envelopes.It's easier and eveyone loves money. Now I don't have many friends getting married,that was years ago. I counted money with my married friends,wish it happens eveyday,then we would be millionaires

Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,295,961 times
You learn something every day,I didn't know about the clock.I guess giving money you can't go wrong.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 AM

27,378 posts, read 27,423,838 times
Trying to stay on topic here I once had a guy (we lived together) give me a basket of candies, little stuffed animal, it had a card that had been removed (the little envelope was under the teddy bear, he must have forgot to get rid of it!) etc. Only thing is, Im guessing someone gave it to him because it smelled of the exact same perfume that he would sometimes come home from his weekend 'excursions' smelling like: Vanilla. I asked about that and he said he 'bought it in the candle section so it might have the scent of some of those candles' around it. Yea right. Another mark on his credibility report. I took it to work and put it in the dumpster there. It wasnt much longer after that I left him.
Does this answer count as 'things that broke a friendship'?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 AM

18,132 posts, read 11,774,358 times
I didn't know about the clock. Normally I make photo albums as gifts with personalized embrodiery and colors suited for the couple. You know they will have tons of pictures for their special day. Also, picture frames are another great gift. From what I've heard recently, it's about $150.00 per head to attend the wedding and is expected as gift. If you bring a guest then ... well ya know it cost $300.00 to sit down for dinner.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:44 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,336,232 times
Ive had people give me presents and then have the nerve to say "I knew you wouldnt like it but I just loved it so I bought it for you anyway ". Makes me feel like saying why dont YOU keep it then. Now if you got it especially for me then it doesnt matter what it is. To me the thought really does count.

I think you should buy for the giftee. For example I hate pink but I buy pink for peeps cause thats what they like. Some of them seem to think Im pink deprived and keep buyng me pink and other pastel flowery crap. OOPs I mean stuff..

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I didn't know about the clock. Normally I make photo albums as gifts with personalized embrodiery and colors suited for the couple. You know they will have tons of pictures for their special day. Also, picture frames are another great gift. From what I've heard recently, it's about $150.00 per head to attend the wedding and is expected as gift. If you bring a guest then ... well ya know it cost $300.00 to sit down for dinner.
It's great to be creative,you can save a lot of money,I wish I could
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics