Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times

Advertisements

Today is give a gift day, there are gifts that you should never buy to a chinese for weddings,birthdays

A clock

Because the sound "chung" sounds like the word "death" or "the end" in chinese

After one of my friends' wedding,I helped her opening the gifts,one look at a really expensive clock,she imediately threw it out in the trash can!
That was a gift from a caucasian,he probably didn't know about it. She did get mad,said a few nasty words,but thought that it wasn't meant to be bad,but threw it out anyway.

Last edited by VillageLife; 07-27-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM

3,102 posts, read 1,113,324 times
Question Unaware

Did you or your friend explain to the gift-giver about the clock being bad luck? Did your friend make the nasty comments to the gift-giver ? If they truly didn't know the significance of the clock, then they probably got their feelings hurt just as bad or more than your friend.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Long time ago I got a newer junky used car than the one I had - so someone convinced me to give my other car still in pretty good shape maybe worth a couple few hundred bucks to a friend Viet Vet on some hard times. So I did - He had to bring it home so I left my plates on it so he could get it back and I asked for the plates back so I could transfer it etc.

Well I never got the plates, had my registration revoked, my insurance canceled, and my license suspended. Needless to say I wasn't too happy about that - never heard from the guy again - o well have to try to be nice in this world - rarely comes back - but what are you going to do.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly63 View Post
Did you or your friend explain to the gift-giver about the clock being bad luck? Did your friend make the nasty comments to the gift-giver ? If they truly didn't know the significance of the clock, then they probably got their feelings hurt just as bad or more than your friend.
No,she didn't want to embarras the gift giver,she knew it was of good intention. Most chinese are not rude to the gift giver,How would you feel,if someone gets nasty to you because the gift was bad?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
No,she didn't want to embarras the gift giver,she knew it was of good intention. Most chinese are not rude to the gift giver,How would you feel,if someone gets nasty to you because the gift was bad?
That was my point. It would make me feel very bad.
It wasn't my intention to insinuate that your friend was rude to the gift giver. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Izzy, you obviously know that I am Chinese so I understand the situation but here's the thing: if non-Chinese don't know the customs, you can't possibly blame them. On the other hand, if I'm going to a culturally different wedding, I almost always just give money so I don't "offend" the bride and groom in some way. You can't go wrong with money!

My Father actually taught me that if you were to receive a clock as a gift, just give a penny to the gift-giver so you technically "purchased" the clock and didn't receive ti as a gift. That way, the friend knows and it's a funny moment, IMO.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Needless to say I wasn't too happy about that - never heard from the guy again - o well have to try to be nice in this world - rarely comes back - but what are you going to do.
It does come back it DOES!!! You did an awfully nice thing for someone and I'm sure the guy good use out of it. Karma does exist, I promise!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It does come back it DOES!!! You did an awfully nice thing for someone and I'm sure the guy good use out of it. Karma does exist, I promise!
It exists for you AND for him. Think of it that way, too.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly63 View Post
It exists for you AND for him. Think of it that way, too.
touche!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Izzy, you obviously know that I am Chinese so I understand the situation but here's the thing: if non-Chinese don't know the customs, you can't possibly blame them. On the other hand, if I'm going to a culturally different wedding, I almost always just give money so I don't "offend" the bride and groom in some way. You can't go wrong with money!

My Father actually taught me that if you were to receive a clock as a gift, just give a penny to the gift-giver so you technically "purchased" the clock and didn't receive ti as a gift. That way, the friend knows and it's a funny moment, IMO.
Most Chinese wedding I know give red bag,in the red bag there is money.
This way the bride and groom can buy anything they want. It is customary to gve red bag.don't you think,foma? It is just a lot of foreingers don't know about giving the red bag as a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics