Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

There's something about Texas, in the cows, the country, the ranches, the horses, the dry sun and the trucks.

I am not a big fan of road trips. I hate to travel, even when Miss Antlers is seated by the side.

But I found this video of Texas countryside, taken from a car, and I remembered instantly how awesome, sweet, religious and romantic the trips were.

On the first trip thru the countryside to San Antonio, I even fell asleep. This song is featured in the movie Elizabethtown, a movie I love and I relate to a lot.

There is a ton of parallels between my own life and the movie. I was a recovering father missing fatherless "dork" when I met her And she was the muse who forced me to leave Colorado and chase high paying, hi-intensity jobs around the country.

Share thine road trip tales, folks.

YouTube - Long Ride Home - Patty Griffin (Texas Countryside)

Yikes, this song is pretty terrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,431 times
I have yet to have an awesome road trip or even a good one.

HOU, TX to ATL, GA - I drove all the way in one shot, and it was tiring.
HOU, TX to Some Podunk town in OK or was it KS - Stuck in a van that was over filled and OK is the suck!
HOU, TX to Tour of Mexico - wrecked my Land Rover, rest of tour was in Mexican buses (which are kind of nice) but not what I call "road trip"

I would like to have a good road trip!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I have yet to have an awesome road trip or even a good one.

HOU, TX to ATL, GA - I drove all the way in one shot, and it was tiring.
HOU, TX to Some Podunk town in OK or was it KS - Stuck in a van that was over filled and OK is the suck!
HOU, TX to Tour of Mexico - wrecked my Land Rover, rest of tour was in Mexican buses (which are kind of nice) but not what I call "road trip"

I would like to have a good road trip!!!!
I myself hate road trips alone. I was talking more of a road trip as an experience to relish in a love affair

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, to Birmingham, Alabama. One very long day.

However, we had The Poisonwood Bible on CD. Everybody listened to it, even my 11 year old. The hours flew by.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I myself hate road trips alone. I was talking more of a road trip as an experience to relish in a love affair
Sorry Antlered. I had some fun road trips in college, but those details are blurry.
I took a road trip to the west coast with my ex when he was just barely a bf but he managed to suck the fun out of it. The experience is overshadowed by his paranoia, hives and lack of adventure and spontaneity.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sorry Antlered. I had some fun road trips in college, but those details are blurry.
I took a road trip to the west coast with my ex when he was just barely a bf but he managed to suck the fun out of it. The experience is overshadowed by his paranoia, hives and lack of adventure and spontaneity.
gosh i know how that is....to travel with a totally boring person

Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
gosh i know how that is....to travel with a totally boring person
I guess things are still not going well with your SO?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,422 times
Roadtrips on my Harley....ooooo lah lah...Funtimes, great memories, lots of barns w/Hay, and cornfields....my longest on my bkle was from Minot, North Dakota to T-Town, Alabama... 28 hours, that includes 5 hours of sleep/downtime..

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,161 times
I've done many road trips with my wife! Her family is in Iowa, mines in Texas so there's about 1,200 miles between us...which takes about 2 days, around 19 hours. We've done probably maybe 4/5 separate driving trips up and down there. I guess the most interesting experience was when my mother came (who is a ghost freak), she found a supposedly haunted old mansion that was converted to a small inn and we spent the night in the haunted room. Didn't experience anything, but later that day we visited The Sallie House (which was featured on "Sightings" - where a young couple experienced scratches on their body, even during filming).

We were lucky to arrive when the owner was mowing the lawn, we approached him and he agreed to let us go inside - so we got to privately tour the house! It was interesting, but it didn't convince me to believe in ghosts or any of the story.

However, I think my favorite part was finding a bar/restaurant right on the Missouri river, pretty river scenery + alcohol + me not having to drive!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I have taken many road trips alone.

I love it !

Very independant and no nagging, whining person next to you.

Of the few trips w/ friends. I would say my BFF and I had the best fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics