Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,930,810 times

Advertisements

Why is this family still revered as royalty? I know about the whole lineage with King George V. But why the whole hoopla??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,860,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnicolas84 View Post
Why is this family still revered as royalty? I know about the whole lineage with King George V. But why the whole hoopla??
Pagentry...romance...great hats!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,291,432 times
They still rule over the church, but the main reason is they bring in millions of tourist dollars. Kate and William's wedding alone brought in 1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion), largely through retail sales, hotel room bookings and the hospitality trade. Millions of Britans are planning street or private parties to celebrate, and that's welcome news for pubs, food and alcohol sellers.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 AM

10,223 posts, read 18,006,148 times
Quote:
Why is this family still revered as royalty?
Because they ARE royalty. They are not just "revered" as such. Revered means to have a respect or admiration for someone or something and so your question is worded as though the family are not actual royalty but merely revered or respected and admired as though they are.

If you're asking why the royal family haven't been deposed, there are a lot of reasons - the main one already having been mentioned (the amount of money they bring in on tourism).

Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 AM

16,771 posts, read 17,538,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Because they ARE royalty. They are not just "revered" as such. Revered means to have a respect or admiration for someone or something and so your question is worded as though the family are not actual royalty but merely revered or respected and admired as though they are.

If you're asking why the royal family haven't been deposed, there are a lot of reasons - the main one already having been mentioned (the amount of money they bring in on tourism).

Precisely.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:52 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,838,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
"Great hats"? lolololololol!!!!! My God...some of those hats at the wedding were a hoot! It was like..."what the hell is that sticking up off that chicks head"?!????!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,890,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
From what little I saw on the news last night this comment is debatable.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,019,746 times
Quote:
People are idiots, that's my theory why they care.

Think of how many people treat the celebrities in the USA. They are the royalty here, despite being mostly moral less, slime.

My gal was saying when she turned on the TV in the Philippines that wedding schtuss was the only thing on. Bragging about the cost of the dress, etc, rubbing it into the noses of the people how much they have, while so many people in the world suffer. They haven't a clue nor care. That attitude really makes me furious. They didn't use to have to pay taxes, but the rest were and still are taxed to death.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 PM

44,734 posts, read 61,999,629 times
Cuz some people like to sit on the throne and do nothing.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,365,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
People are idiots, that's my theory why they care.

Think of how many people treat the celebrities in the USA. They are the royalty here, despite being mostly moral less, slime.

My gal was saying when she turned on the TV in the Philippines that wedding schtuss was the only thing on. Bragging about the cost of the dress, etc, rubbing it into the noses of the people how much they have, while so many people in the world suffer. They haven't a clue nor care. That attitude really makes me furious. They didn't use to have to pay taxes, but the rest were and still are taxed to death.
I saw snipits. It was wayyyy over the top. So glad the hoopla is over. Ugh!!You are right, they don't get taxed on a darn thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics