Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM

468 posts, read 1,547,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40-something male who knows nothing about colors that mix and/or clash.

My fiancee, and I, share a favorite color: Blue.

Her birthstone is the Amethyst: Purple

My birthstone is the Ruby: Red

She loves silk flowers for their beauty and simplicity. So, I'm wanting to get her a small bouquet that she can keep on her desk at work.

My question is: Can Blue, Purple, and Red go together in some form or fashion?

I was thinking about a mix of Blue and Purple silk flowers with one Red silk flower in the middle. (Okay, Ladies, stop laughing at me)

Or, maybe mostly Blue flowers with one Purple, and one Red, flower together in the middle? Kind of like a unity plant type of thing?

Only these three colors will be in the plant. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,933,173 times
you should talk to a good florist about this.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
you should talk to a good florist about this.

In time, Vic.

Anybody else have any useful suggestions?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM

19,801 posts, read 20,393,242 times
What about an array of purple & red flowers in a blue vase

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
What about an array of purple & red flowers in a blue vase

That might work.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,263,968 times
Very nice that you would think of something like that for your fiancee. Whatever the silk flowers are in will be a biggy and also how big. Do you know how much space is available on her desk?

For colors, you may prefer a certain shade of blue but I think turquoise and purple would look great together. They are both good energy colors and good for the spirit. Why just one red? Along with the turquoise and purple, you could use a lot smaller red flower (the deep ruby red) and dot it all around. You could use a wicker basket for container or how about purple and red flowers in a turquoise vase?

Best wishes to you and your Aquarian!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,563,366 times
I think purple and a paler/softer shade of blue look good together and some red will just make the whole thing pop! It will be a great combination.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Very nice that you would think of something like that for your fiancee. Whatever the silk flowers are in will be a biggy and also how big. Do you know how much space is available on her desk?

For colors, you may prefer a certain shade of blue but I think turquoise and purple would look great together. They are both good energy colors and good for the spirit. Why just one red? Along with the turquoise and purple, you could use a lot smaller red flower (the deep ruby red) and dot it all around. You could use a wicker basket for container or how about purple and red flowers in a turquoise vase?

Best wishes to you and your Aquarian!

Thanks for the response.

The end product will not be big at all. Just the size to sit on her desk without getting in the way. In visual terms I'd say maybe no more than 12 inches tall including the vase, and maybe 8 to 10 (possibly 12) inches in the flower diameter.

We both like dark blue. I just didn't know if that would work well with our two birthstone colors. Sounds like it would though.

Why just one red? I don't really know. I figured it would be nicer to have a good mixture of our favorite color and her birthstone color. I didn't know if red would overpower those other two colors, so I figured one red flower would be enough.

But, I've been wrong before.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I think purple and a paler/softer shade of blue look good together and some red will just make the whole thing pop! It will be a great combination.

Thanks for the response.

If I went with the darker blue, instead of a pale blue, do you think it would still look nice?

This is going to be a surprise for her, so I want to make it look really nice.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,263,968 times
Look at the arrangment used on this site as an example. It has purple, red and blue. It's more of a medium blue but dark blue will probably work just fine. If you haven't already been, go to a craft store and play around with the silk flowers. Michael's is one of those stores, Texas has Hobby Lobby and that is the very best store for things like that so maybe they are also in OK. Another store is JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts. While looking around, don't forget to look at feathers. I love feathers in arrangements, all kinds including peacock.

Floral Arrangement Tips: Easy Guide to Spectacular Color Combinations

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 08-08-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics