Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,177 times

Advertisements

Sunny and mid-50s in the NV desert today.

Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? Perhaps it's just old age, but I honestly can't remember. My parents were kind, hard-working, honest people and I think I learned to be the same by watching them live their lives.

Did any of your ancestors immigrate to the USA through Ellis Island?
(if not, where was their point of arrival?) No -- I was the first to move to the U.S. and came through LAX.

(If you live in a country other than the USA, did any of your ancestors immigrate from another country? If so, what country did they immigrate from?) My great-grandparents moved to New Zealand from the British Isles.

Happy Saturday everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM

24,493 posts, read 26,038,861 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>?
A neighbor that sold real estate told me to get a lot while I was young.

Did you take their advice?
Sure did.

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?>
Yep, but it was the wrong kind of a lot.

Bonus Questions:
In honor of the new Ellis Island Immigration station being completed on this date in 1900:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?)
Pretty sure it was Through Ellis.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland?
Grand parents.

What country did they immigrate from?
Maternal. England and Germany, Paternal, Ireland and ?

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?)
Not Me, but The Super Chief is a NavaKee.

(If you live in a country other than the USA, did any of your ancestors immigrate from another country? If so, what country did they immigrate from?)

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share?
Nothing note worthy.

Last edited by motormaker; 12-17-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
Today's Questions:

Hmmm.. I think the advice started out with something like "You have the right to remain silent.." and I didn't take that advice... - Just kidding, there were mamy good advices given to me by my parents and I followed some of their advices right away, and with some, I had to learn lessons in life to realize they were right.

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> - Never regretted following their advices.

Bonus Questions:
In honor of the new Ellis Island Immigration station being completed on this date in 1900:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?) - I think one of them rowed a boat across the Atlantic.. -

What country did they immigrate from? - Hmm.. I don't think they had countries back in the caveman days...

Although my parents have European ancestory, they were both born in Israel when it was under British control.

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share?
I can't think of any... Both of my grandmothers spanked me a few times for misbehaving..

Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,789,230 times
quick answers before we head north for the day/night. (don't tell her I'm here)

Today's Questions:

I was told..."You're a better man than me"... and I took that advice...

yes... indirectly

nope.... nope

Bonus Questions:

no

I think GG grandfather

England

Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,038,533 times
Today's Questions:

A friend of mine in college. He was an average looking guy at best but he always had dates with some of the hottest women on campus. I asked him what his secret was and he said that he would ask out maybe 20 to 30 women each week and there was always one that would go out with him. One out of 20 or 30!...lol. He took rejection well and he was persistent and confident. He said "There's one thing in life that I have learned. If you don't ask....you don't get".

Did you take their advice? Yes!

I don't regret it, I decided to live by that advice. My friend's attitude/persistence/determination/confidence and that quote above practically changed my life, and not just pertaining to asking out women.

Bonus Questions:

I know some of them immigrated into the U.S. on the east coast but I'm not sure exactly where.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland? My great, great grandfather on my mother's side of the family. Probably the same on my father's side.

What country did they immigrate from? Mother's side-Germany, father's side-Ireland.

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?)

(If you live in a country other than the USA, did any of your ancestors immigrate from another country? If so, what country did they immigrate from?)

Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,577,536 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you
"If you can't pay cash for something, you can't afford it!" (same answer as Sweetie Pie)
<and who gave it to you>? My swee'pea.

Did you take their advice? Yup!

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> Nope. We finally afforded my headlight (diamond ring) after 18 years of saving......and we don't argue over financial blunders.

Word of the Day:
Generosity [jen-uh-ros-i-tee] Noun
1. Readiness or liberality in giving.
2. Freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character.
3. Largeness or fullness; amplitude.

Be a person of "integrity" with love and compassion...and always practice what you preach.

This week is:

Tell Someone They're Doing a Good Job Week

EVERYONE!!! and have a stress-free weekend!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,548,115 times
Good evening all! Busy day but I'm done shopping! For the food involved too!!

Today's Questions:

Tie between two..my father advised that you have no right to laugh at another if you can't laugh at yourself...and a cousin advise to ride(the motorcycle) like you are invisible...ie...always assume they don't see you)

Did you take their advice? I took both with great success!

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> never!

Bonus Questions:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?) Sadly I don't know this...I believe my sister has this documented

What country did they immigrate from? The majority are from Germany

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?) no

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share? My grandfather was a circuit preacher up in NE. He would go from church to church on his horse drawn wagon.

This week is:

Tell Someone They're Doing a Good Job Week I like this idea!

Have a great day everyone! Two day until the grands get here! I'm so excited!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Today's Questions:

Save 10% of everything you earn. Pay that to yourself first, then live on what's left.

Partially.

Regret somewhat. If the economy hadn't tanked twice we'd be very comfortable. As it is, were still okay.

Bonus Questions:

Today in History:

1777 - France recognizes independence of English colonies in America
1900 - New Ellis Island Immigration station completed costing $1.5 million
1900 - 1st prize of 10,000 francs offered for communications with extraterrestrials. Martians excluded (considered too easy)
1944 - Japanese-Americans released from detention camps
1975 – Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme sentenced to life for attempt on President Ford's life
1983 - Disco in Madrid catches fire; 83 die
1986 – Mrs. Davina Thompson makes medical history by having the 1st heart, lung and liver transplant (Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England)

Word of the Day:
Generosity [jen-uh-ros-i-tee] Noun
1. Readiness or liberality in giving.
2. Freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character.
3. Largeness or fullness; amplitude.

This week is:

Tell Someone They're Doing a Good Job Week

Today is:
National Day of Appreciation
Turn Off the TV Day
Praise at least One Person Day

Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 PM

38,926 posts, read 22,931,581 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? Save 10% of your income, tithe 10% (to the church) and live off the rest (from my church's senior pastor). Treat everyone the way you want to be treated (from my parents).

Did you take their advice? Yes

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> Never regretted taking their advice, because it has worked!

Bonus Questions:

Did any of your ancestors immigrate to the USA through Ellis Island? No
(if not, where was their point of arrival?) Through Honolulu, Hawaii.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland? My parents

What country did they immigrate from? Philippines

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?) Nope!

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share? My parents were children during World War 2 when the Japanese occupied the Philippines. My mother recalls a school next door to their house that served as a barracks for some Japanese soldiers. She was only 2-3 years old at the time, and she remembers a few of the soldiers gave her candy.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 AM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
motormaker..
A neighbor that sold real estate told me to get a lot while I was young.

Sure did.

Yep, but it was the wrong kind of a lot.

Just curious if you mean get a lot of REAL ESTATE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics