Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times

Advertisements

Good morning
Well, only 15 days left in 2011

Let’s not waste any time and get right to . . .

Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>?

Did you take their advice?

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?>

Bonus Questions:
In honor of the new Ellis Island Immigration station being completed on this date in 1900:

Did any of your ancestors immigrate to the USA through Ellis Island?
(if not, where was their point of arrival?)

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland?

What country did they immigrate from?

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?)

(If you live in a country other than the USA, did any of your ancestors immigrate from another country? If so, what country did they immigrate from?)

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share?

Today in History:

1777 - France recognizes independence of English colonies in America
1900 - New Ellis Island Immigration station completed costing $1.5 million
1900 - 1st prize of 10,000 francs offered for communications with extraterrestrials. Martians excluded (considered too easy)
1944 - Japanese-Americans released from detention camps
1975 – Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme sentenced to life for attempt on President Ford's life
1983 - Disco in Madrid catches fire; 83 die
1986 – Mrs. Davina Thompson makes medical history by having the 1st heart, lung and liver transplant (Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England)

Word of the Day:
Generosity [jen-uh-ros-i-tee] Noun
1. Readiness or liberality in giving.
2. Freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character.
3. Largeness or fullness; amplitude.

This week is:

Tell Someone They're Doing a Good Job Week

Today is:
National Day of Appreciation
Turn Off the TV Day
Praise at least One Person Day

Have a great weekend and,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
<b>Today's Questions:

Bonus Questions:
In honor of the new Ellis Island Immigration station being completed on this date in 1900:

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?)

(If you live in a country other than the USA, did any of your ancestors immigrate from another country? If so, what country did they immigrate from?)

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share?

Today in History:

1900 - 1st prize of 10,000 francs offered for communications with extraterrestrials. Martians excluded (considered too easy)
1975 – Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme sentenced to life for attempt on President Ford's life
1986 – Mrs. Davina Thompson makes medical history by having the 1st heart, lung and liver transplant (Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England)

Word of the Day:

This week is:

Today is:
Turn Off the TV Day

Have a great weekend and,

Good job JJ!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-16-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,592 times
Today's Questions:

Eat meat. A person who hated me and I hated her back because she hated me.

Yes. 2 healthy problems solved.

No.

Nope

This week is:

You are doing a good job

Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Today's Questions:

I've been given so much great advice from both family and close friends that it is hard to think of just one piece ...

When I felt in my heart that it is the best course of action.

There was a time when a family member cautioned me about attending a certain graduate degree program ... I just went ahead and nearly completed the program before I told her as I really could not stand the negativity ... Fortunately for me, I ignored her advice.

Bonus Questions:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?):
I dunno

I dunno ...

I dunno ...

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?):
My mom has part native American in her.

Nope

Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
*pass*

Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Good morning

Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? My Mom & Dad said: "If you can't pay cash for something, you can't afford it!"

Did you take their advice? Yep!

Hell no!!! Best advice, EVER!

Bonus Questions:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?)Yes, my "Nana".My Grandpa came in through New Orleans.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland? My Grandparents.

What country did they immigrate from? Palermo, Sicily.

This week is:

Today is:
Turn Off the TV Day

Have a great weekend!

Thanks Joyous!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? Clyde Barrow told me banks are where the money is.

Did you take their advice? No.

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> To young to go to jail.

Bonus Questions:

Did any of your ancestors immigrate to the USA through Ellis Island? Yes.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland? The ones that immigrated.

What country did they immigrate from? Germany.

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?) N/A

Is there a special bit of history or story that’s been passed down in your family that you’d like to share? Don't listen to Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, they're troublemakers.

Saturday, a good day to go shopping, enjoy...

Old 12-17-2011, 12:53 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Yahoo and howdy how do u do?

Today's Questions:
What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? *I don't know

Did you take their advice? *I doubt it

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? *I have serious regrets...

7 more days before Christmas, Love and Happiness and Peace Merry almost Christmas!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? What comes to mind first is my dad saying, "Never say can't."

Did you take their advice? Sometimes, not always.

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?> Again, sometimes......

Bonus Questions:

(if not, where was their point of arrival?) No. Family history, on my dad's side, is traced back to the Mayflower. I don't know much about my mother's side. Her dad was adopted with the birth records being sealed for 100 years.

Word of the Day:

This week is:

Tell Someone They're Doing a Good Job Week Thank you all who give of their time in posting the qotd! Good job!

This afternoon I'll be ushering for the Revels, celebrating Winter Solstice. I bought tickets for my daughter's family so 2 1/2 year old Anna will be seeing this for the first time. It has become a holiday tradition for me. I love singing with over 900 people and dancing to Lord of the Dance. I hope you all have something to look forward to today!

Last edited by kpinvt; 12-17-2011 at 04:45 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
[quote=JustJoy;22156798]Good morning
Well, only 15 days left in 2011

Let?s not waste any time and get right to . . .

Today's Questions:

What?s the best piece of advice someone has given you <and who gave it to you>? A few weeks before my dad passed on me,hubby and dad went out to lunch and he told us to take care of each other and a few other things.

Did you take their advice? We did and do,especially now that the kids have been gone for several years now.

Do you regret your decision to take (or ignore) the advice? <and why?>No

Bonus Questions:

Did any of your ancestors immigrate to the USA through Ellis Island? I remember hearing something about relatives coming through Ellis Island.

Which of your ancestors immigrated to the USA from their homeland? I think it was my great grandparents on my father's side and some uncles and aunts.

What country did they immigrate from? Italy

Are any of you American Indian/Native American? (if so which tribe/tribal nation?) No

Is there a special bit of history or story that?s been passed down in your family that you?d like to share? It's a secret.

Today in History:

1975 ? Lynette ?Squeaky? Fromme sentenced to life for attempt on President Ford's life
1986 ? Mrs. Davina Thompson makes medical history by having the 1st heart, lung and liver transplant (Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England)

Word of the Day:
Generosity?[jen-uh-ros-i-tee] Noun

This week is:

GOOD JOB,JUSTJOY.

Today is:
Turn Off the TV Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics