Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

BAKE BREADS AND CAKES IN FLOWER POTS!

Yep, you heard right. You don't need to spend a small fortune on fancy terra cotta bakeware. Bake breads and cakes in terra cotta flower pots instead! Use new, unglazed pots that have been scrubbed clean, and make sure they don't contain lead. Not only are they great for baking, you can do cool stuff with them for presentation of your baked goods.

Here are a few cool recipes:

Flowerpot Beer Bread
alexandra’s kitchen: Flowerpot Beer Bread

Flowerpot Bread
One Perfect Bite: Flower Pot Bread - Blue Monday

Flowerpot Cakes
Flowerpot Cakes - Martha Stewart Recipes

Experiment with your own cake recipes and mixes. Enjoy!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
That looks so pretty! That's almost as cool as baking a cake in the microwave inside a coffee mug!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

Hi, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

BAKE BREADS AND CAKES IN FLOWER POTS!

Yep, you heard right. You don't need to spend a small fortune on fancy terra cotta bakeware. Bake breads and cakes in terra cotta flower pots instead! Use new, unglazed pots that have been scrubbed clean, and make sure they don't contain lead. Not only are they great for baking, you can do cool stuff with them for presentation of your baked goods.

Here are a few cool recipes:

Flowerpot Beer Bread
alexandra’s kitchen: Flowerpot Beer Bread

Flowerpot Bread
One Perfect Bite: Flower Pot Bread - Blue Monday

Flowerpot Cakes
Flowerpot Cakes - Martha Stewart Recipes

Experiment with your own cake recipes and mixes. Enjoy!

Flowerpot bread ...

*Feels Pammy's forehead for fever*

Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Looks very pretty but cooking/baking food in terra cotta flower post is not recommended. Flower pots may contain lead. They are not made from a food safe material. To serve food, the pot can be lined with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
K-State Rapid Response Center - Food Science>Food Preparation>FAQs

At one time, cooking in flowerpots as you describe became so popular that you could actually find food-grade terra cotta flowerpots in kitchen sections of department stores. Thankfully, that fad has passed. Regular terra cotta flowerpots are perfectly safe for growing plants, but you should not cook in them due to food safety concerns. The clay could contain contaminants or heavy metals that could leach into the food. There are many attractive, clever and versatile food-grade terra cotta vessels at kitchen and cooking stores. They are safe and much more useful for cooking than a flowerpot.
Consumer Q's February 2010 - Ga Dept of Agriculture

I do not expect a sign" Food safe" on flower pots. AND most flower pots are Made in China

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 768,019 times
There used to be a restaurant that served their bread like that (in the flower pot). It was a while ago, forgot about that, then I remembered when I saw the picture. :O) I remember it was yummy and it is cute.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Looks yummy! didn't know you could do that!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
That's a great idea Pam! Mine are all full of plants.. I'd need to buy some more....

P.S. thanks for the added tips Elnina!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Ya'll enjoy. I'm trying to avoid as much wheat as possible. At least until I'm satisfied it makes arthritis worse or not.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Wow! You can bake bread in pots along with growing your potted plants and maybe get potted yourself...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Where do they sell the bread seed??? ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics