Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times

Advertisements

Dont you hate the cheap quality plastic they are using anymore, for literally everything? Even some tools, these days, are turning up made of plastic. A new level, wow, now they come in plastic, but the metal omes are way more costly. Toolboxes, I've seen those plastic crossbed toolboxes in the back of trucks, how the weather warps them, or the weight of the tools make them sag in the middle. (Thank gawd mine is steel, with everything in it!).
I just bought a stupid plastic toolbox, a big one, with the wheels and handles, stacked double boxes because I have so many tools. About a month ago. I was hesitant to buy it but needed something where I wouldnt have to make 3 trips back and forth to my truck everytime because 3 big toolbags were just too heavy to carry. Got this for a whopping 39.00. Good deal eh? Well I was desperate at the time and had spent an hour at Lowes looking at something that that can carry everything, or separate the boxes, whatever, and there were only 2 styles to choose from. The plastic one and a much more expensive yet smaller, metal one. I opted for the bigger one.
Go figure, yesterday, we were loading it back into the truck and the stupid plastic handle broke. Probably the weight of all those tools. One of the plastic wheels fell of last week but one of the guys out it back on for me. So....today, in need to carry this monstrosity, lol, I 'rednecked' a handle for it. Yep, simply took some scrap romex, ran it through the holes where the handle used to be, and viola, there my new handle, lol!!! Okay, so its scrap wire but it works!! Looks funny, but theres a catalog at work where Im gonna find a good, sturdy, STEEL box for my stuff here real soon. Im DONE with cheap plastic...like they say, you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Dont you hate the cheap quality plastic they are using anymore, for literally everything? Even some tools, these days, are turning up made of plastic. A new level, wow, now they come in plastic, but the metal omes are way more costly. Toolboxes, I've seen those plastic crossbed toolboxes in the back of trucks, how the weather warps them, or the weight of the tools make them sag in the middle. (Thank gawd mine is steel, with everything in it!).
I just bought a stupid plastic toolbox, a big one, with the wheels and handles, stacked double boxes because I have so many tools. About a month ago. I was hesitant to buy it but needed something where I wouldnt have to make 3 trips back and forth to my truck everytime because 3 big toolbags were just too heavy to carry. Got this for a whopping 39.00. Good deal eh? Well I was desperate at the time and had spent an hour at Lowes looking at something that that can carry everything, or separate the boxes, whatever, and there were only 2 styles to choose from. The plastic one and a much more expensive yet smaller, metal one. I opted for the bigger one.
Go figure, yesterday, we were loading it back into the truck and the stupid plastic handle broke. Probably the weight of all those tools. One of the plastic wheels fell of last week but one of the guys out it back on for me. So....today, in need to carry this monstrosity, lol, I 'rednecked' a handle for it. Yep, simply took some scrap romex, ran it through the holes where the handle used to be, and viola, there my new handle, lol!!! Okay, so its scrap wire but it works!! Looks funny, but theres a catalog at work where Im gonna find a good, sturdy, STEEL box for my stuff here real soon. Im DONE with cheap plastic...like they say, you get what you pay for.
You should probably take it back and get a refund on it.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 09-24-2007 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,232,179 times
Plastic doesn't last up in the interior. It shatters like glass in the cold. You don't have to drop it, just drop a screwdriver the wrong way and SMASH! Voila, instant trash.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Yeah well it'll be put to use for something, somehow. Maybe it'll be my 'misc parts' box, lol.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
OH! Speaking of levels, I remember this one my dad had, I used to be intrigued with it as a child, it was made from wood...dh has it.

Not happy about that. I dont think I will ever see another one like it... Dad must have had it forever before my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics