Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,725 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, July 3rd. Re the box of unidentified photographs I talked about last week, I am doing as many of you suggested and putting them aside for friends and family to look over. My daughter is coming to stay this weekend and has no idea what she’s in for!

Today’s Question:

Karl Benz drove the first automobile on this day in 1886. What was your first automobile and when did you get it?

Extra Credit Question:

If you could change just one aspect of your personality (major or minor), what would you change and why?

Bonus Question:

Which of each of these food pairs do you prefer (pick one from each pair):

Rice or potatoes
Chicken or fish
Multigrain bread or plain white bread
Broccoli or cauliflower

Just for Fun:

What colour are your eyes?

Today in History:

1839 First state normal school in U.S. opens, Lexington, Massachusetts, with 3 students
1861 Pony Express arrives in San Francisco with overland letters from New York
1871 Jesse James robs bank in Corydon, Iowa ($45,000)
1886 In Germany, Karl Benz drives first automobile
1928 First colour TV broadcast in London (John Logic Baird)
1929 Dunlop Latex Development Laboratories made foam rubber
1954 Food rationing ends in Britain

Today’s Word:

Surfeit \ SUR-fit \ , noun;
1. Excess; an excessive amount: a surfeit of speechmaking.
2. Excess or overindulgence in eating or drinking.
3. An uncomfortably full or crapulous feeling due to excessive eating or drinking.
4. General disgust caused by excess or satiety.
verb:
1. To bring to a state of surfeit by excess of food or drink.
2. To supply with anything to excess or satiety; satiate.

Today Is:

Stay Out of the Sun Day
Compliment Your Mirror Day
Eat Beans Day
Perfect Pac-Man Game Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Today’s Question:

Karl Benz drove the first automobile on this day in 1886. What was your first automobile and when did you get it?
Hahaha it was a PINK 1962 Mercury Monterrey, it looked like a female version of the Batmobile. Very embarrassing to drive and a lot of my friends were embarrassed to be seen in it. But hey, it got me out of the house and around town until I ran out of gas or it overheated. I got it a few days after I turned 16.

Extra Credit Question:

If you could change just one aspect of your personality (major or minor), what would you change and why?
That's an easy one, I would change the fact that I am bipolar because my life would not have been so difficult.

Bonus Question:

Rice or potatoes
Chicken or fish
Broccoli or cauliflower

Just for Fun:

dark brown

Today Is:

Stay Out of the Sun Day...............I have to, can't take it
Compliment Your Mirror Day.........might as well cause no one else is going to
Eat Beans Day.............................ooooh no
Perfect Pac-Man Game Day.........I like Centipede better

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 07-03-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:27 AM

1,738 posts, read 767,801 times
Today’s Question:

Karl Benz drove the first automobile on this day in 1886. What was your first automobile and when did you get it? ~ Can't remember the name of the very first one but first that I remember was a Justy, in the late 80s.

Extra Credit Question:

If you could change just one aspect of your personality (major or minor), what would you change and why? ~ First thing I thought of was not being so shy at times.

Bonus Question:

Rice or potatoes ~ Potatoes
Chicken or fish ~ Chicken
Multigrain bread or plain white bread ~ White
Broccoli or cauliflower ~ I'll pass on those

Just for Fun:

What colour are your eyes? ~ Dark Brown

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 07-03-2012 at 04:50 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Today’s Question: Yayyyy! It's Kobber! The lady that never leaves the underline turned on!

~ 1972 Chevelle, a long time ago.

Extra Credit Question:

~ I'm too much of a perfectionist at my work. I treat my work like an artist.

Bonus Question:

Rice or potatoes ~ potatoes.....I love both.
Chicken or fish ~ chicken......I love both so much!
Multigrain bread or plain white bread ~ multigrain, but there are things that only white will do!
Broccoli or cauliflower ~ broccoli, with cheese sauce!

Just for Fun:

~ One red, one green.

Today Is:

Stay Out of the Sun Day ~ Oh, how I hate the sun!
Compliment Your Mirror Day ~ Hello, mirror......you suck! Only my mirror tells me I am old.
Eat Beans Day ~ No way in hell.
Perfect Pac-Man Game Day ~ How very odd....I had a dream last night and I was playing pac-man.

Honestly.....

CLICK "Play PacMan" : (use your keyboard arrows for controls!)

http://www.webpacman.com/

*** Thanks very much, Kobber! Great going today, as usual! Lol! I sent you reps and told you I wish you cool weather and immediately after sending them I realized it's winter where you live! ...........SO(!)....I guess those reps did the trick for ya then?

Everyone have a real nice day, I wish you all well and safe....keep cool and your pets, too!
Lots of shade and cool water....and food aplenty for all. Miracles, too. Amen. ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 07-03-2012 at 04:56 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
[quote=Kobber;25003147]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, July 3rd. Re the box of unidentified photographs I talked about last week, I am doing as many of you suggested and putting them aside for friends and family to look over. My daughter is coming to stay this weekend and has no idea what she’s in for!

Today’s Question

Karl Benz drove the first automobile on this day in 1886. What was your first automobile and when did you get it?I think it was a Catalina back in the early 70's that I bought myself........before that my first hubby and I had a volkswagon beetle.

Extra Credit Question

If you could change just one aspect of your personality (major or minor), what would you change and why? I'd like to be less pessimistic.

Bonus Question

Rice or potatoes - Potatoes
Chicken or fish - Chicken
Multigrain bread or plain white bread - Multigrain
Broccoli or cauliflower - Broccoli

Just for Fun

What colour are your eyes? Brown

Today in History

1839 First state normal school in U.S. opens, Lexington, Massachusetts, with 3 students

Today’s Word

3. An uncomfortably full or crapulous feeling due to excessive eating or drinking.
verb:

Today Is

Stay Out of the Sun Day - I will
Compliment Your Mirror Day -
Eat Beans Day -
Perfect Pac-Man Game Day

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by Lucky Lady123; 07-03-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, July 3rd. Re the box of unidentified photographs I talked about last week, I am doing as many of you suggested and putting them aside for friends and family to look over. My daughter is coming to stay this weekend and has no idea what she’s in for!
Today’s Question:
Extra Credit Question:
Bonus Question:
Rice or potatoes
Chicken or fish
Broccoli or cauliflower
Just for Fun:
Today in History:
Today’s Word:
verb:
Today Is:
Stay Out of the Sun Day
Compliment Your Mirror Day
Eat Beans Day
Perfect Pac-Man Game Day
Morning Kobber: Greetings from Sunny Connecticut, USA. My first visit to your question of the day site so you ready??
My First Automobile: 1968 Rambler Javelin. Didn't get it until I married my first husband..it was a sweet little car, white with black vinyl top and red leather seats, bucket seats. My ex loaned it to one of his sailor buddies on base at Newport Rhode Island and this "buddy" blew the transmission in it. Was never the same.
What aspect of my personality would I change? I am a bit OCD with personal hygiene and taking care of my clothing, i.e., if I spill something on my shirt or slacks, I have to run and change immediately. I hate my hair out of place, do full face makeup no matter what I am doing..overly fussy. I have tried to not be so fussy but am not comfortable. I am 64 years old and have done this my whole life. I don't wear clown makeup by any stretch but do wear makeup every day. Fussy to a T and it can be aggrevating for my husband as he is always waiting for me when we go out somewhere.
Foods I prefer: Rice, chicken, multigrain bread, broccoli
What color are my eyes: This is gonna be a tough one. Basically my eyes are Teal..however, they have a dark blue around the center with a splash of yellow around the black part..interesting and I find folks staring at me at times. My Dad had the same color eyes; maybe his were a tad more on the green side whereas mine are definitely Teal.

Thanks Kobber, this was fun. I also answer the question of the day page that Bookworm puts on here, that one is also fun to do. Have a sparkling day

Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Good morning everyone. I'm back from my trip which was extended due to the power outages in my area. Sadly I had to throw out a lot of food.

Quote:

Today’s Question:

A 1963 Ford Fairlane that my father didn't take care of. I got it in 1970 (age 15) when I outbid the car dealer by $20.00. I was ripped off. The car was a piece of junk. That will tell you what kind of childhood I had.

Extra Credit Question:

Quote:
I'm too hard on myself. That's a big one that I wish I could fix.

Bonus Question:

Quote:

Rice or potatoes
Chicken or fish
Broccoli or cauliflower
A) potatoes
B) tie but lean towards chicken
C) multigrain
D) broccoli - that is my favorite vegetable.

Just for Fun:

Quote:
Brown

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
One aspect of my personality, Id probably make myself to not be such a procrastinator! Always wait till the last minute to do a lot of things....except when it comes to being somewhere, then Im always early but Id rather be early than late.
I prefer rice over potatoes but cant pick just one of the pair of the other foods because I eat everything (almost)!
My eyes are dark greenish.
Good day everyone!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Good morning everybody. Now then, the first car my first wife and I bought was a horror. It was a British Leyland Allegro. It was known in the trade as an agro because it was so poor a car. It was 8 years old, It had beautiful yellow velour seats. This is why I bought it. The display of dials was very poorly designed, in tests the round steering wheel covered some. The builders found the answer - fit a square steering wheel. We didn't have it very long, it just fell apart. Change one aspect of my personality hmmm. Maybe not to be so modest. The colour of my eyes is blue. 1954 rationing ended in England huh? Almost 10 years after the end of the war. I think it was just a few things like candy that were rationed till that date. Bye for now.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,396 times
Today’s Question:

I briefly had a 67 Mustang in 1976. It was a real piece of junk. I then sorta semi became the owner of a 1967 Gran Prix. It looked real rough but ran very good. That was my summer car for when I was home from college 1976 - 1980. That was about the time many of the muscle cars downsized and started using wimpy 4 cyl engines. A lot of kids were rudely surprised when they would pull up alongside my ratty, beat up, rusty Gran Prix in their brand new ex-muscle car and start acting stupid.

Extra Credit Question:

I am fond of my personality just the way it is. If any aspect of my personality is annoying to others (I am sure I have many annoying aspects) that is their problem.

Bonus Question:

Rice or potatoes
I like both but will select potatoes

Chicken or fish
I will take a side of fish with my chicken

I really like plain old white bread.

Broccoli or cauliflower
You will never see me buy either one. About the only way I can handle either is to first pour a lot of vinegar and salt on it. That will block the odor long enough for me to scrape it off my plate and into the trash.

Just for Fun:

When they are not bloodshot they are blue.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 07-03-2012 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics