Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,362,568 times

Advertisements

Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another busy week! We got a lot done at the BookWorm household this weekend – I feel like I need to go back to work just to rest. I hope your weekend featured some R&R along with productivity!

And in order to start the week productively, let’s dive on into:

Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes?

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them?

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year?

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat?

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got?

What was it that made you want that much-desired object?

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream?

Today in History:

1632 – Three hundred colonists bound for New France (which is now much of North America) depart from Dieppe, France
1829 – William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter
1840 – The Province of Canada is established by the Act of Union
1903 – The Ford Motor Company sells its first car
1926 – Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film
1942 – The Treblinka extermination camp is opened
1962 – Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite
1965 – The Beatles release Help in the United Kingdom
1967 – The 12th Street Riot begins in Detroit, Michigan; by its conclusion five days later, 43 were dead, 342 injured, and over 2,000 buildings destroyed
1968 – A violent shootout in Cleveland, Ohio sparks a five-day riot that kills seven
1983 – An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet and is glided to a safe landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport in Manitoba

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun
The act of urging; persuasion

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
National Vanilla Ice Cream Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,414,270 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? 2

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

Yes, I avoid them.

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? 107°

Is that:
Higher than usual? It's a bit higher than usual. We are usually at about 100° this time of year.
About normal?
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat?

If so, how? I try to stay inside as much as possible.

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? Tap shoes.

What was it that made you want that much-desired object? I thought they sounded great.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? nuts

Today in History:

1632 – Three hundred colonists bound for New France (which is now much of North America) depart from Dieppe, France
1829 – William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter
1926 – Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film
1962 – Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite How cool is that? What a great person.
1967 – The 12th Street Riot begins in Detroit, Michigan; by its conclusion five days later, 43 were dead, 342 injured, and over 2,000 buildings destroyed
1968 – A violent shootout in Cleveland, Ohio sparks a five-day riot that kills seven
1983 – An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet and is glided to a safe landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport in Manitoba Good God!

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,104,834 times
Today’s Question(s):

A couple maybe more!
Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

Prefer not to use them!

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year?

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual?

Nah!
If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

A Coca- Cola dispenser.

? Thirst?

Just For Fun:

Cash!

Today in History:

1962 – Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite
1983 – An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet and is glided to a safe landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport in Manitoba

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
Thanks MBW!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,472,284 times
Good morning all from a dry, but cloudy England. Thank you Miz Bookworm for the questions

Now then, self check-out lanes. I don't like using them. Something always seems to go wrong, and a member of staff has to help me. I'll stick to using real people.

My favourite thing on top of vanilla ice cream is cadburys chocolate flake. Mmmmm mm!

The temperature here is improving after an awful summer so far. It has been almost constant rain until a few days ago. It has been very nice and warm (high 70s) the last few days. Lets hope this carries on into the Olympics. Although, we are very used to the rain - might help our athletes a bit. They need all the help they can get.......

This day in 1965 'Help' was released by the Beatles' huh? Great days. Every record was better than the one before. Their music advanced in quality at an unbelievable rate, peaking with 'Sgt Pepper' two years later. They were truly great.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,624,614 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? a few

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them?AlWAYS! When approached about using them I make it quite clear that I want to be waited on by a person. If I have to wait on myself I should be paid wages due me for my time.

Bonus Question:

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual?

If so, how? I let my lawn die out to conserve water(Which has my neighbor extremely upset. ).

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? A horse

What was it that made you want that much-desired object? Always loved horses. Finally got my first one at forty!

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? More ice cream !

Today is:

Gorgeous Grandma Day Yes I am!!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,502,581 times
Today’s Question(s):

Only one - my regular supermarket.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
This might be too strong a word - I prefer not to use them!
Don’t care either way?

I would go out of my way if I had a lot of groceries, but if I had only a couple of items and the manned checkout lines were busy, I'd be okay with self-checkout.

Bonus Question:

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual?

If so, how?

It's winter here and although I don't know the statistics, my perception is that it has been cooler, cloudier and wetter than usual.

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? Roller skates
What was it that made you want that much-desired object? I guess because all my friends had them so I couldn't join in the fun. Sometimes friends let me have a turn with theirs, but not often enough to become proficient with them.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? I'll just have the topping thanks - can't eat ice cream (hurts my teeth). Any chocolate topping will be more than acceptable!

Thanks Bookworm.

Here's to a great start to the week.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-23-2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,256,931 times
Today’s Question(s):

Just the grocery store.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
<------------- They take longer than a cashier, they're finicky about accepting wrinkled dollars, and I don't like it when they tell me to remove my cookies from the scale.
Don’t care either way?

I avoid them.

Bonus Question:

Heat index of 105 degrees.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
<------------This.
About normal?
Lower than usual?

Not really. I just stay indoors when it's gross out.

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

A turtle.

Well, apparently I did have two at one point. Or, more accurately, I had two of my sisters'. They walked in on me gnawing on one when I was two years old. Somehow I had gotten into the tank and taken them out. They never did find the other one.

Just For Fun:

Chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and a cherry. My favorite thing to put below vanilla ice cream is a warm brownie.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,551,825 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? Just one that I can think of.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way? I am not real comfortable yet using them.

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them? Yes, I avoid them.

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? It has been around 101 at the highest.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual? We have had more rain and lower temps. than normal.

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat? No.

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? A Shirley Temple doll and a pet monkey.

What was it that made you want that much-desired object? I saw the doll at the Wax Museum and love it, especially the golden locks of hair. As far as a money I loved animals and always wanted a monkey.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? Hot fudge and nuts and whipped cream with a cherry.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,625 times
Today’s Question(s):

The only one I can think of is Home Depot.
Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em? I really, really don't like them, something always goes wrong.
Don’t care either way?

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? Mid to upper 90s

Is that:
Higher than usual. We do always have some very warm days, but this year it just seems to be more than usual. That and we've had little rain. It's raining now..... a soft rain. I'm hoping it continues through the day.
About normal?
Lower than usual?

I've been inside more, which I hate. Then, not so much in response to the heat but the lack of rain, I haven't mowed as much. In the spring there were large parts of the fields I couldn't mow, because it was too wet. Now I haven't mowed for over a week because it's so dry.

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? Maybe I've idealized my childhood... I don't remember anything I wanted and never got. We didn't have much in the way of material things, but played in the fields and woods all day. We lived on a farm & had horses, so I spent a lot of time riding as well. In the winter our parents would build a fire beside the pond and we'd skate. Then there was a road not far from us called Mile Hill Road, for obvious reasons..... Our parents and neighborhood friends would station themselves at the top and bottom to stop any traffic...... usually only a car or two, and we'd slide the whole mile down the hill. Happy times!

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? Homemade chocolate sauce. My aunt made the most delicious chocolate sauce..... I'll have to look for her recipe.

Enjoy your day, all!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,032,427 times
All of the major supermarkets have them in Anchorage.

Do you:
Love ‘em?

I won't go so far as to say I love them, but I like using them.

Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

I usually will plan on using the self checkout. I find the wait to be much shorter than using a regular checkout. Plus, everytime I use a regular checkout I always seem to either get the one checker that is trying to break the world record for slowest checker or the one person ahead of me has $50 of groceries and only $25 cash on hand. Then I have to wait while that person plays the put this back game until getting down to $25.

Bonus Question:

Probably in the mid 70's.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
Lower than usual?

Our average temp for July has be lower than average.

As I am typing this I just heard my heater kick on. I think it is safe to say my area is not in the heat wave area.

If so, how?

If I was in the heat wave area I would be camping out next to the a/c. Where I went shopping would not be determined by what I need or where the best sales are. The store with the best air conditioning is where I would be shopping.

Extra Credit Question:

Tonka toy buldozer

Every year when the Sears Christmas cataloge came out with the huge toy section I would always turn to the page that showed the Tonka toys in a construction setting. I so wanted the buldozer so that I could build roads for the Tonka toys I had.

Just For Fun:

Chocolate syrup

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics