Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM

19,600 posts, read 9,596,184 times

Advertisements

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? A couple grocery stores and one of the Costco's has them but whether they changed back to all cashier's, I'm not sure 'cuz I can't recall now which Costco it may have been. We have 3 within an hour's drive that we can go to on any given Saturday/Sunday.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way? x - Depends what I have bought that will determine whether I choose to go through a self-checkout lane or not.

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them?
Depends on what I'm buying at that moment. I may seek them out if I'm in the store that has them.

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year?
105 degrees

Is that:
Higher than usual? x
About normal?
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat?
Yes
If so, how?

Always try to remember to put ice in my water container and bring with me. I don't walk as often when it's that warm. I don't go outside as often - like to eat lunch.

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got?
Drum set?

What was it that made you want that much-desired object?
Channel the hyper energy and need to thump anything in sight w/ my eating utensils -well, as a kid anyways. Always did like the sounds the drums make. I don't think my parents wanted to put up w/ that "noise". Now I'm just a repressed beat-a-holic.

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,290,915 times
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another busy week! We got a lot done at the BookWorm household this weekend – I feel like I need to go back to work just to rest. I hope your weekend featured some R&R along with productivity!

And in order to start the week productively, let’s dive on into:

Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes?

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way? Don't care.

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them? I normally avoid them. I was a cashier in high school; it brings back bad memories!

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? 90s

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? Normal.
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat? I spend most of my time indoors during the summer months anyway, so not really.

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? Money. Stable home life.

What was it that made you want that much-desired object? We never had the "cool" clothes or gadgets that everyone else had.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? Butterscotch syrup.

Today in History:

1632 – Three hundred colonists bound for New France (which is now much of North America) depart from Dieppe, France
1829 – William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter
1840 – The Province of Canada is established by the Act of Union
1903 – The Ford Motor Company sells its first car
1926 – Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film
1942 – The Treblinka extermination camp is opened
1962 – Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite
1965 – The Beatles release Help in the United Kingdom
1967 – The 12th Street Riot begins in Detroit, Michigan; by its conclusion five days later, 43 were dead, 342 injured, and over 2,000 buildings destroyed
1968 – A violent shootout in Cleveland, Ohio sparks a five-day riot that kills seven
1983 – An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet and is glided to a safe landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport in Manitoba

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun
The act of urging; persuasion

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
National Vanilla Ice Cream Day

Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,803,750 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? Only Home Depot. The 2 supermarkets I go to in my area abandoned them. Even Home Depot has a person who'll help you run your items through, or even do it for you.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em? Can't say I hate them, but I find them annoying
Don’t care either way?

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them? see above

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year?

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? I'd say slightly above normal. Usually just keeping the windows open cools the house for much of the day, but this summer I had more days when I kept windows shut to keep out the heat than usual.
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat?

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? I don't recall wanting much. I didn't have lots of toys, but also didn't feel the desire for a lot of toys either.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? I like to scoop vanilla ice cream with pretzel sticks. I've read that it's a Philadelphian or Pennsylvanian food tradition, but though I grew up in Philadelphia I never saw anyone do it. I just sort of discovered it on my own.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM

38,995 posts, read 22,997,708 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? 2 or 3

Do you:
Love ‘em? <--This. I usually buy only a few things at a time.
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

If one is available, I'll head straight for it, especially if there's no line.

Bonus Question:

Just last week it got up to 91F.

Is that:
Higher than usual? <--We're usually in the low to mid 80s F.
About normal?
Lower than usual?

N/A

Extra Credit Question:

A Tonka earth mover.

I liked the way it looked plus I wanted to see how it held up playing with it in the dirt.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream?
Hot fudge and whipped cream.

Happy start of a new week!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM

18,255 posts, read 25,927,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another busy week! We got a lot done at the BookWorm household this weekend – I feel like I need to go back to work just to rest. I hope your weekend featured some R&R along with productivity!

Today’s Question(s): Good morning MBW!

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? Walmart and City Market (part of the Kroger chain)

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way? I don't mind one or two but not the whole store.

I'll admit, if I'm not in the best of moods I will avoid them. One of my jobs got replaced by a computer a couple decades ago.

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? We had a stretch in early June where the temperature was 102 to 105 for a week.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?This one here. We are always warmer than Colorado's front range.
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat?Not really, I stay inside when the temps hit 90. I'm on different meds and it says on the bottle "stay out of the intense sun and heat."

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? Just one thing-extra weight. We grew up poor but my parents done a great job raising us.

Because by the time I got to 7th grade I was already 6 ft. tall!

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream?Lots of nuts!

Today in History:

1632 – Three hundred colonists bound for New France (which is now much of North America) depart from Dieppe, France
1829 – William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter
1903 – The Ford Motor Company sells its first carSo was my first car-a '56 Ford!
1926 – Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film
1962 – Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite
1965 – The Beatles release Help in the United KingdomBought that album at Woolworths the week it came out.
1967 – The 12th Street Riot begins in Detroit, Michigan; by its conclusion five days later, 43 were dead, 342 injured, and over 2,000 buildings destroyedVery sad.
1968 – A violent shootout in Cleveland, Ohio sparks a five-day riot that kills sevenditto-I remember both incidents.
1983 – An Air Canada Boeing 767 runs out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet and is glided to a safe landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport in Manitoba

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
National Vanilla Ice Cream Day
Have a great day everyone! Thanks for the ?'s MBW!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM

280 posts, read 573,349 times
Today’s Question(s):

3 of them, WalMart, Smith's & Albertson's. I never use them, why pay wages to a checker & bagger to stand around, plus if something does go wrong they can fix it quickly.

Do you:
Don’t care either way

I avoid using them, they're never any quicker, almost always fail, or your stuck behind someone paying with a roll of quarters or a trailer full of coupons that are expired

Bonus Question:

Well my pro backyard weather station says the hottest this year so far was 115.3*F @ 5:39pm PDT 7/10/2012. The official NWS recording station for records at McCarran Airport measured 114* which tied the record for July 10th's. Keep in mind Las Vegas' all time record high is only 117*, so we got close.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? Fairly normal to have 110s + a few times each summer. "but its a dry heat"
Lower than usual?

Everyone alters their behavior during the summers in the Mojave Desert.

If so, how?
You do most stuff at night or early morning...most grocery / department stores are open 24 hours. I was at Smith's buying groceries yesterday at 4am and the place was packed.

Extra Credit Question:

Surfboard & Skateboard

All my friends had them and knew how to surf & skate. I think I was the only kid growing up in Huntington Beach, CA in the 70s/80s that didn't know how to surf or skate.

Just For Fun:

Occasionally chocolate sauce.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM

24,541 posts, read 26,096,990 times
Today’s Question(s):

Only 1 that I have noticed lately.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?
Lets just say I don't like them, hate is too strong a word.

Sure do, the garden dept. always has short lines.

Bonus Question:

We did see 105F one day.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal?
That would be normal, my perception is that overall the weather is a tad lower this year, but still hot.
Lower than usual?

Nah, just turn on the AC.

Extra Credit Question:

A Red Ryder BB gun.

It would look cool with my Lone Ranger cap pistols.

Just For Fun:

Some kind of berry jam.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,671,408 times
[quote=MidwesternBookWorm;25294073]Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another busy week! We got a lot done at the BookWorm household this weekend – I feel like I need to go back to work just to rest. I hope your weekend featured some R&R along with productivity!

Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? Two.

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way? I seldom use them.

Bonus Question:

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? AZ monsoon season.
Lower than usual?

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? A slide and swing set.

They were fun!

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream? My mouth.

Have a great week!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,828,677 times
[quote=MidwesternBookWorm;25294073]Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another busy week! We got a lot done at the BookWorm household this weekend – I feel like I need to go back to work just to rest. I hope your weekend featured some R&R along with productivity!

Today’s Question(s):

Do you:
Love ‘em? Great if I'm in a hurry with a couple of items.
Hate ‘em? Won't use it for a weeks worth of groceries.
Don’t care either way?

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year?....We are heading for 100 degrees again today. I actually had a water park day in May and it was 97 that day.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? .......Way above normal.
Lower than usual?

If so, how?
.....The good news is that we've had a lot of beach days. We usually only get 2 the whole summer. The bad news is that we are way behind on the out side projects. I see a movie day today

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got?....A farm

....I was horse crazy and had to ride my bike about 6 miles to go riding at a friends house. I rode the horses home a couple of times and had them in my yard. I got to ride them in the local parades. I also wanted a cat which was forbidden by my evil mother. I have a picture of me sleeping with a cat that used to visit me but we didn't know who it belonged to. I did bring home 7 kittens that had been abandoned but only 2 made it. I was allowed to keep them but I was much older by then. I hid an injured pigeon in my room and nursed it back to health. It was walking down the hall looking for me when my father saw it. He wasn't too happy but I told him it would be gone soon. I should have been raised on a farm with different parents as well.

Just For Fun:

What is your favorite thing to put on top of vanilla ice cream?......Toasted coconut, some strawberries, hot fudge, hot caramel, whip cream, nuts, a couple of cherries, and a little cherry juice. It's DH's special treat on his birthday

Today in History:

1903 – The Ford Motor Company sells its first car
1965 – The Beatles release Help in the United Kingdom
1967 – The 12th Street Riot begins in Detroit, Michigan; by its conclusion five days later, 43 were dead, 342 injured, and over 2,000 buildings destroyed
1968 – A violent shootout in Cleveland, Ohio sparks a five-day riot that kills seven

Today’s Word:

Suasion \swā zhən\ noun

Today is:

Parent’s Day
Mosquito Day
National Hotdog Day Do you know what they're made from?
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
National Vanilla Ice Cream DayOnce on the lips forever on the hips

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,047,582 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many stores where you regularly shop have self-checkout lanes? Two

Do you:
Love ‘em?
Hate ‘em?
Don’t care either way?

Do you go out of your way either to use them or to avoid them? I avoid them, I prefer to have store employees bag up my groceries. Where I shop they know how to do it much better and faster than I can...lol.

Bonus Question:

Many of us in the United States have been roasting under extremely hot conditions this summer. How high has the temperature in your community gotten this year? About 105 degrees.

Is that:
Higher than usual?
About normal? 100 + degree temps are the norm for this time of year in this part of Texas.
Lower than usual?

If your area is in the heat wave of 2012, have you altered your behavior at all in response to the heat? No, I'm used to it...lol.

If so, how?

Extra Credit Question:

What is one thing you always wanted as a kid but never got? There was this particular skateboard that I wanted once that was really expensive but my parents wouldn't buy it for me. I was just being a brat, the one I already had was just fine...lol.

What was it that made you want that much-desired object? It was a popular skateboard at the time.

Just For Fun:

Hot fudge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics