Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,125,699 times

Advertisements

Happy Tuesday, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

CONCEAL SCRATCHES AND DINGS ON WOOD FURNITURE

I've written about furniture surface repairs before, but here's another little tidbit on the subject.

If you have scratches and dings in your wood furniture, chances are good you can easily touch them up using permanent-ink felt-tip markers. You can actually buy furniture touch-up markers at many hardware stores, but you can use regular felt-tip markers as well.

Start with a felt-tip marker which is close in color to the wood you need to repair. Keep in mind that colors tend to darken a little when they penetrate the wood fibers. First, dab the ink into the scratch or ding. Let it dry. Then stroke the pen lightly over the scratch again to even out the color. Chances are good that no one but you will ever notice the repaired spot.

A word of caution - If your furniture piece is an antique, DO NOT touch up marred areas! Refinishing or touching up an antique will greatly devalue it. Leave antique restoration to the professionals.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,964,304 times
Great tips and quite true Pammy! I do a little wood work on occasion. I'm still looking for a rub on wax for finishing wood. Saw my FIL use it on an old pie cabinet about 35 years ago.. Even crayolas can be used in some cases Pam! You may have said so in other tips !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,932,891 times
Quote:
A word of caution - If your furniture piece is an antique, DO NOT touch up marred areas! Refinishing or touching up an antique will greatly devalue it. Leave antique restoration to the professionals.
Pam does this mean that Mrs Aks should not waste time in the morning with putting on her makeup?

LOL

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM

72,454 posts, read 18,221,165 times
Too funny Aks I guess they do that in furniture stores!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,149,114 times
Great tip Pam. I use sharpie markers for a lot of fix ups. I got bleach on a favorite black shirt once and sharpied it up & it was good as new!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,781,466 times
Great tips Pamster. We use the markers and touch up sticks as needed. They work great.

BTW Pam, that last marker in your post, you left the cap off and it's leaking all over my puter screen.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 AM

36,463 posts, read 16,069,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Great tips Pamster. We use the markers and touch up sticks as needed. They work great.

BTW Pam, that last marker in your post, you left the cap off and it's leaking all over my puter screen.
Markers still leak? I think that belongs in the "I'm so old, I remember" thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,168 times
Having lived in the dorms for my last 3 years of college I learned many tricks for covering up damage in order to check out of the room every spring. All nail holes were filled in using toothpaste. The guy in the room next to me accidently put a hole on the inside of his closet door. We repaired that by super gluing a cheap mirror over the hole. We always made sure to replace all but 1 working lightbulb with burnt out bulbs so that it would be as dark as possible while they were checking the room for damage. And if we thought we really needed luck on our side we would take the RA that was going to be checking the room and get him drunk the night before. With a bad enough hangover he would overlook just about anything.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,504 times
GREAT TIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Pam does this mean that Mrs Aks should not waste time in the morning with putting on her makeup?

LOL
LOL. Now you have me wondering if I should bother

Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,443,215 times
Thanks Pam. I've done that before. Our furniture came with touch up pens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

LOL
LOL..but I wouldn't say that to Mrs. Aks of I was you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Great tip Pam. I use sharpie markers for a lot of fix ups. I got bleach on a favorite black shirt once and sharpied it up & it was good as new!
Me too. I am a danger when bleach is around. I have done it with jeans but used the ink from a ballpoint pen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics