Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,551 times

Advertisements

Lost or just on an impromptu adventure? Hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
I was driving in Cali once and wasn't paying attention, just listening to the radio - took the wrong exit and ended up at the gates of the military base in San Diego (think Miramar) I just smiled and waved at the armed guards then turned my car around

Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
One summer evening some years ago, I was taking a walk around the neighborhood when some person came up to me and asked for directions to Vanderbilt Avenue. I dutifully provided directions, but something about the episode bothered me and when I got home I looked up my street atlas...

What I hadn't known at the time was that Brooklyn has both a Vanderbilt Avenue and a Vanderbilt Street. And I'd given that person directions to the wrong thoroughfare. (All these years later, and I still feel bad about that!)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Getting lost isn't really a peeve for me. I always leave plenty of time to get where I'm going, and I'm not afraid to stop and ask for help if I am truly confused.

Sometimes I 'get lost' on purpose, just to do some sight seeing along the way, which is always enjoyable!!

Having lived in the same area my whole life, it is difficult to say if I ever truly get lost. If I travel, it is always with someone who knows the way, and if we get lost it is always interesting........

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,013,722 times
I consider myself a some what, kinda not to dumb person but give me directions of any sort and I'm just out of this world lost.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Lost is a common word in this household...

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Never lost-often confused.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Once a long time ago when I was in my 20's I went to the mall with a friend in the winter. It was a place we had been many times before. It was very cold and we couldn't find my car. We went back into the mall and wound up in the furniture section of one of the stores I had been watching for a sale on this particular sofa I wanted. The floor model was on sale and I got it for half price. That was the one and only time I can think of that getting lost was a good thing.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Ever gone to the wrong floor of a multi storey car park and started to panic when you couldn't find your car there?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,419 times
On foot, I generally have a good sense of direction, and can get to where I want to get to unless I run into one of those curving streets that insist on winding up in a curve ending up going the wrong way.

I did get scary lost once, back in the early 70's. I was taking my little brother to his Saturday school which was in North Philadelphia, surrounded by a bad neighborhood. I used to go to the school years ago, but this time I missed the right bus stop.
I had no idea how far we'd traveled or how much the bus had gone north or west, but I knew if we headed east we'd hit 19th street at some point.
We finally got to 19th street and headed south, walking for blocks, when I saw an old man sitting in a doorway and asked him if I was getting close to the street I was looking for. He told me I had just a couple blocks to go. I was so relieved. We had been getting funny looks from some of the guys hanging around on corners and in doorways.
The next time I had to take the bus there I was careful to watch the stops.

Cars? Anyone can get lost in a car. They go too fast.

You missed the turn!
What turn?
The one back there!
Why didn't you tell me?
I didn't see it! There was a big bush!
Where do I go now?

Even our old GPS failed us. In Florida the voice said to make a right turn now, only there were 2 possible right turns and the one I told DH to take was the wrong one.
It also used to tell us we were at our destination just as we were passing it. We always had to make a U-turn and go back.
I got DH a new GPS for Xmas last year. It's much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics