Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
What have you seen or experienced that struck you as a real surprise?

The Robert Burns museum in Ayr, Scotland surprised me. It was in his cottage and was very small.
A wee cottage.

Bonus Question:
Since today is International Day of the World's Indigenous People, please tell us:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population? Nope.

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native? Europe

Foodie Question:
It's Rice Pudding Day, so why the dancing cake I can't say, but anyway:
What are your favorite flavors of pudding?
Vanilla is my favorite although I had an anise flavored pudding in an Italian restaurant and it comes in a close second.

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? No. I'm usually too busy slurping to dip.

Just for fun:
Look at today's picture and take a guess if this is a toy or an animal. If so, what? **Spoiler alert, the answer is below the picture**
A baby polar bear? Added later. I didn't cheat and look ahead. It does look like a polar bear to me.
Do you think it's real? Yes.

If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is?

Today in History:
1593 Isaak Walton born in England, author of‘The Compleat Angler,' a discourse on the pleasures of fishing and one of the most frequently published books in English literature.
1638 Jonas Bronck of Holland became the 1st European settler in Bronx, New York
1778 Captain James Cook reached the Bering straits
1803 1st horses arrived in Hawaii - How they swam all that way, we'll never know.
1842 U.S.- Canada border defined by Webster-Ashburton Treaty
1965 Singapore gained independence from Malaysia
1974 Vice President Gerald Ford sworn in as the 38th president
1979 English seaside resort of Brighton became the site of the 1st British nude beach
1992 25th Olympic Summer games closed in Barcelona, Spain
2010 South Korea stated that North Korea fired over 100 rounds of artillery into the Sea of Japan

Today’s Word:
dol·drums [dohl-druhmz] noun
state of inactivity or stagnation, in nautical terms: calm and light winds that make it difficult to sail a ship

Today Is:
Rice Pudding Day
International Day of the World's Indigenous People
Veep Day - Vice President (Veep) Gerald Ford took office

A Picture for Today:
This picture is from a photo-sharing site.

Hint: may grow up to enjoy a certain brand of soft drink, but is it the real thing?

Did you get it or give up? Surprisingly, I got it right.

It's said to be a newborn polar bear cub.

Here's some photos of a new cub born at the Toronto Zoo last year:
http://www.torontozoo.com/polarbearcub/?pg=MeetOurCub

Have a cool day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today's Question:
What have you seen or experienced that struck you as a real surprise? The economy the past 5 years.

Bonus Question:
Since today is International Day of the World's Indigenous People, please tell us:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population? No.

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native? Europe. Germany to be exact.

Foodie Question:
What are your favorite flavors of pudding? Tapioca, chocolate, bread, and rice w/raisons.

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? Spoon.

Just for fun:
Look at today's picture and take a guess if this is a toy or an animal. If so, what? **Spoiler alert, the answer is below the picture** Baby Polar Bear.

Do you think it's real? Yes.

If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is? Fool's me.

Thursday, have a good one, enjoy...

Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 AM

36,428 posts, read 16,038,061 times
Today's Question:

Every time I go to Walmart...last night especially

Bonus Question:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population?

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native? Europe

Foodie Question:
Not crazy about pudding, banana pudding is a staple where I live.
Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding?

Just for fun:
Look at today's picture and take a guess if this is a toy or an animal. If so, what? **Spoiler alert, the answer is below the picture**

Do you think it's real?
Yep, it's an animal, I didn't peek either

Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today's Question:
Given my age I probably shouldn't be, but people still surprise me. I still expect the best from everyone.

Bonus Question:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population? No, my family has been here for generations and were some of the first settlers, but are not indigenous.

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native?
Europe

Foodie Question:
Chocolate and vanilla....... Instant, please.
I use pudding in trifles..... Chocolate pudding, chocolate cake and whipped cream or...
Vanilla pudding, pound cake, whipped cream and fruit.

Just for fun:

Do you think it's real? How cute! Sure, it's a bear cub, must be a polar bear.

If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is? I think it's what they say.

I'll be spending the day with my three yr. old granddaughter so her mama can rest. No calls during the night, so hopefully that means her contractions stopped. Have a great day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 08-09-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 AM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Originally Posted by bjh
Hi, CDers! We're in the summer doldrums in so many places. Hot, hot and more hot! I hope you're staying comfortable and ready for:

Today's Question:
What have you seen or experienced that struck you as a real surprise? I'd have to say some shops and homes that appear small on the outside but once you go inside, you wonder where it ends.

Bonus Question:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population?
I don't believe so.

Foodie Question:
What are your favorite flavors of pudding? Chocolate (of course), pistachio, butterscotch, tapioca,....banana coconut,....I'm sure there's others. Instant or stovetop - doesn't matter to me but I like to chill it after it's made and then put some whip creme on top.

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? Usually that's it.

Just for fun:
Look at today's picture and take a guess if this is a toy or an animal. If so, what? **Spoiler alert, the answer is below the picture** It's a polar bear cub!

Do you think it's real?
I figured a polar bear cub and said real but still had to look to affirm. Such a cutie.

If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is? ~

Today’s Word:
state of inactivity or stagnation, in nautical terms: calm and light winds that make it difficult to sail a ship

Today Is:
Rice Pudding Day

A Picture for Today:

Hint: may grow up to enjoy a certain brand of soft drink, but is it the real thing? As real as it gets.

Did you get it or give up? I got it.

It's said to be a newborn polar bear cub.

Have a cool day!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hi, CDers! We're in the summer doldrums in so many places. Hot, hot and more hot! I hope you're staying comfortable and ready for:

Today's Question:
Getting laid off without notice after working on the same job for 10.5 years.

Bonus Question:

Quote:

No and Europe.

Foodie Question:

Quote:

There is this Indian restaurant that has a terrific buffet in my area. It's the only time I ever eat buffet style and I go there about once a month. They have delicious rice pudding. I never have it otherwise and I eat it plain.

Just for fun:

Quote:

Do you think it's real?

Real and IDK.

Best wishes for a terrific day!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Today's Question:
What have you seen or experienced that struck you as a real surprise? Many things some good and some bad.

Bonus Question:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population? Not that I know of.

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native? Not sure.....I'm not into family history.

Foodie Question:
What are your favorite flavors of pudding? Actually it's rice pudding and lemon is next in line.

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? No

Just for fun:

Do you think it's real? Looks real to me.

If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is? Polar bear cub.

Today in History:
1593 Isaak Walton born in England, author of‘The Compleat Angler,' a discourse on the pleasures of fishing and one of the most frequently published books in English literature.
1803 1st horses arrived in Hawaii - How they swam all that way, we'll never know.
1979 English seaside resort of Brighton became the site of the 1st British nude beach
2010 South Korea stated that North Korea fired over 100 rounds of artillery into the Sea of Japan

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Rice Pudding Day

A Picture for Today:

Hint: may grow up to enjoy a certain brand of soft drink, but is it the real thing?

Did you get it or give up? I got it.

It's said to be a newborn polar bear cub. Wow......can't imagine them being this small.

Here's some photos of a new cub born at the Toronto Zoo last year:
http://www.torontozoo.com/polarbearcub/?pg=MeetOurCub

Have a cool day!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
Today's Question:

Nothing surprises me...

Bonus Question:

Nope...

Foodie Question:

Not a pudding eater...

Nope.

Just for fun:

Do you think it's real?

Real......

Polar Bear..

Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Today's Question:
Many, many things!!

Bonus Question:
No
Probably Europe, although my ancestors came to America several generations ago....

Foodie Question:
What are your favorite flavors of pudding? Vanilla, but from scratch! Not out of a box

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? Once in a while some bananas

Just for fun:
Look at today's picture and take a guess if this is a toy or an animal. If so, what? **Spoiler alert, the answer is below the picture** Animal

Do you think it's real? Absolutely!!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Rice Pudding Day

Have a cool day! Back atcha!!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,544,451 times
Good morning all! I have a partial day of work today! I'm off to Alabama to close on our property! I'm very excited!

Today's Question:
What have you seen or experienced that struck you as a real surprise? He turns 30 this year! I'm kidding! (kinda)

Bonus Question:
Do you live in a place where any of your ancestors are considered part of the original population? Nope...I'm a true American!

On what continent(s) would your family be considered indigenous or native? My ancestors are....German, , Scot, Dutch, Irish and English.....we'd tee'd a LOT of people off! Or we get around...just sayin

Foodie Question:
I like just about all!

Anything you like to dip into or eat with pudding? Animal crackers in chocolate pudding....dang...now you know all my secrets!!

Just for fun:

Do you think it's real? Yes!
If it's not what they say it is, what do you think it is? I don't know but I want one!

My brother's name on the CD is "Polar Bear"...I'm partial to them!

Have a great day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics