Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! I gleaned Today's Tip from an e-newsletter I received from my health insurance company. Scroll on down and check it out!

7 STEPS TO PREVENT ID THEFT

1 - Remove your Social Security card from your wallet and store it in a secure place.
2 - Change weak passwords to online accounts. Include upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and special characters.
3 - Don't click on links in unsolicited emails. Never give out personal info over the phone if you did not initiate the call.
4 - Keep an eye on your debit and credit cards when you use them to pay for a purchase. Always be cautious and watchful.
5 - Shred all papers containing personal info before you throw them away.
6 - Review bank statements and bills carefully, looking for unusual transactions.
7 - Obtain and review your credit report regularly.

Always keep your health insurance info private, and never share your member ID, username or password with anyone.

Source: https://pages.unitedhealthcare-hmhb....62d3123a5e9ea5

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
2 - Change weak passwords to online accounts. Include upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and special characters.
I always use this site when I need a password - Security Guide for Windows - Random Password Generator

Strongest generator I've ever used. Beats using the same password for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Can't tell you how many times someone wants to know that social security number or driver ID for something simply and unrelated altogether. It's crazy; and now it's getting worse when you have to show multiple ID when attempting to vote. There is very little if any voter fraud (less than .001% ), however their is "election fraud" which is something else.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,078 times
I had to show my social security card at the town hall just to get my water turned on when I moved in. I think we're just an untrusting society, thanks to dishonest people.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Great info Pam. This having to give out your Social Security Number has gotten out of control. A great ID theft problem. I was at Sears last week and for a $16.00 credit card purchase they wanted to see my Social Security Number. I told them @#$%&# where to go and left the store.

Here's an interesting and informative article on the use of your Social Security Number:
When are Social Security numbers required? - Business - Consumer news - ConsumerMan - NBCNews.com

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,222,335 times
Excellent tips, Pam.

My bank used to provide identity theft protection as part of my checking account. Just received a letter from them notifying me of several services being discontinued--including identity theft protection.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,848 times
Very important tips, Pam. I recently set up the online banking side of my savings account and they had just implemented new security measures. Took quite a while to do it (course it was in Spanish), but I feel good about security end of things.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,256,218 times
All very good tips! I take a look at my checking account every day because a few months ago someone tried to hack it. Bank of America caught it and locked the account. But what if the bank doesn't catch it next time? Of course I asked for detail on what the hacker was attempting and was told they tried a very small amount to see if it worked before going for larger amounts. That is something BofA (and hopefully other banks) are watching for. It apparently got blocked with the first try but the hacker tried nine times before giving up. I'm changing the passcodes often making them long and full of lower case, upper case, numbers and symbols. I also keep changing the user name and security Q&A. If your online accounts give you the option of leaving out the security answer Q&A while logging in, don't do it.

My viruses discovered in June included one in google (google is on the top 10 list of internet accounts that have been hacked) and someone was online with me wreaking havoc with my gmail account including deleting contents of folders and emptying trash. How's that for a freak and scary hacker? One of the folders I had created contained my login info for all my internet accounts. So never again will I keep anything like that anyplace online.

Keeping the Social Security number safe is crucially important!

I'm not clicking on anyone's links anymore including links provided on CD. If I'm interested I put part of the name in my McAfee security search and go from there.

Take a look at your checking and savings every day and also at credit cards that are active. Don't wait a month to look at a statement.

Always keep your health insurance info private, and never share your member ID, username or password with anyone. **** This should include all family members!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,339,028 times
Practical and beneficial tips and I shall put them to use. Thanks Pam

Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM

72,430 posts, read 18,213,051 times
Exceilent tips pammy! just do things to fool the scammers and the baddies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics