Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times

Advertisements

[quote=JustJoy;25581069]Howdy do y’all
Let’s get this weekend rockin’ and a rollin’

Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun?.....Driving a special Ed. bus in my early 20's. I loved the Downs kids and I can still hear Shelly singing Jungle Balls. The BD kids were a challenge but I had a gift with them. I used to have parties at my house if they behaved. It's still like that with all the shorties I have in my life.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst?....Being a Respiratory Therapist. Forget about lunch breaks most days and you better be able to hold your pee for hours. The families are crazy, the work loads ridiculous thanks to the Medicare/Medicaid cuts, and management makes your life miserable. I feel harassed from the moment I enter the building until the time I leave. It's a very dangerous job because almost all of my patients are in isolation for something yet it's OK for family members to go in unprotected, touch everything, and leave the room without washing their hands. Management seems to think they're immune as long as they give a favorable response to their survey. I've been seriously ill from my job 4x with this last bug lasting nearly 7 years now. I've known people that have died from being in health care. I can't wait for my last day and I may have to retire earlier than expected to keep my sanity.

If you’re still working, do you enjoy what you’re doing now? Why or why not? I HATE IT.

Bonus Questions:
Once again a big thanks to the man behind the curtain

You've heard of "Three Strikes and You're Out", which applies when many of us give or have given second
chances to other people or businesses.

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them?....Only one. People usually don't change. I don't like to waste time so it's better to move on.

Have you ever given anyone more chances than you usually do or more than they deserved? If so, what
made that instance different?....I had a couple of friends that are out of my life now that I'm much happier without. One was an alcoholic and she died a couple of years after I walked away from watching her self destruct. Her son is a schizophrenic millionaire now and after his elderly Aunt passes I'm sure he'll spend every dime. The other is a selfish me first &%#$! that John never liked from day one. She called me last year after 6 years and told me that her boyfriend is terminally ill and she had breast cancer. I wished her well but I guess she's out of friends now. I don't have time to waste on people like that. I have precious little time with my real friends as it is.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why? ....No. There has honestly never been the need. I'm always very nice and extremely generous. I'm also very popular at work and treat my patients like I would a family member.

Just for Fun
In honor of Cheech & Chong Day and 1972

Did you ever hang out at a friend’s house and listen to Cheech & Chong (or other comedians) on vinyl
(or radio)? ...Mostly the movies.

How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)?...A Saturday night staple.

My son once told me he wished he would have been around in the 70’s, so for any of you who are younger
is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why?...I think I would have liked being in my 20's in the 50's. I think there was a better moral fiber and more respect that existed back then. There's too much it's all about me mentality now.

Today in History:

1874 - Harry S. Parmelee patents sprinkler head
1924 - 1st newsreel pictures of presidential candidates were taken
1965 - Watts riots begin in Southeast LA, lasts 6 days
1972 - "Cheech and Chong Day" in San Antonio Texas
2009 - A new species of a giant carnivorous plant, Nepethes attenboroughii, is discovered in the central
Philippines highlands

Quote of the Day:

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.

~~ Doug Larson

Today Is:

National Garage Sale Day....Don't really have enough stuff for one.
Play in the Sand Day .....I see one more beach day with Howie in our future.
Presidential Joke Day....Don't get me started.

Have fun this weekend and, of course . . .
I have to work and it's only day 3 of 6. This is my last 6 day stretch. I'm cutting my hours and looking for another job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun?

Bless to be a Mom; it what I dreamed of doing someday. Volunteering at our (my)
sons school; working with the teachers, children, other volunteers.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst?

If you’re still working, do you enjoy what you’re doing now? Why or why not?

Retired.

Bonus Questions:

You've heard of "Three Strikes and You're Out", which applies when many of us give or have given second chances to other people or businesses.

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them?

Not very good at sharing, confronting what I think, feel. Usually do not contact the other
person.

Have you ever given anyone more chances than you usually do or more than they deserved? If so, what made that instance different?

Family; how I treasure that relationship.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why?

Just for Fun

Did you ever hang out at a friend’s house and listen to Cheech & Chong (or other comedians) on vinyl (or radio)?

No. Enjoyed Burns and Allen, especially Gracie ! Recently, the way I carry on a conversation, someone compared me to Gracie !

Anyone remember Bill Cosby; my husband and I saw him perform with Ray Charles at
Harrah's, in Lake Tahoe, NV. Mr. Charles was playing, we wondered where Mr. Cosby was going to come on and---he was playing drums! Jumped down from the drum platform!

How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)?
No

My son once told me he wished he would have been around in the 70’s, so for any of you who are younger is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why?

All decades had challenges i.e. in the 1950's remember my Mom belonged to the Civil Defense, air sirens---the Russians were coming!; maybe the 1940's to hear the Big Bands, dance at the clubs. My Mom's friend, taught me to jitterbug in the late 1950's!

Today in History:

1965 - Watts riots begin in Southeast LA, lasts 6 days
2009 - A new species of a giant carnivorous plant, Nepethes attenboroughii, is discovered in the central Philippines highlands

Quote of the Day:

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.

~~ Doug Larson

Today Is:

National Garage Sale Day
Play in the Sand Day
Presidential Joke Day

[/quote]

Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,036 times
Sunny and low 100s in the NV desert today.

Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun? Organizing fund raising events. Loved it when I was younger. Lots of details and hard work in the months and weeks leading up to the event and then such a feeling of accomplishment when the event was over.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst? Organizing fund raising events when I was older . Very hard work and exhausting!

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them? A couple.

Did you ever hang out at a friend’s house and listen to Cheech & Chong (or other comedians) on vinyl (or radio)? Nope.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Today's Questions:
What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun? I've never had a job I would consider fun, but when I worked at the law firm I enjoyed the drama and intensity of jury trials. It made the 16-hour days at the office in trial prep worthwhile.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst? For about 3 years when I was in my 20s, I worked for an attorney who was one of the biggest crooks and shysters in the country. A very evil man.

If you’re still working, do you enjoy what you’re doing now? I am still a paralegal, but now I'm the legal dept of a commercial and industrial construction company. I work with contracts and T&Cs (terms and conditions) concerng our construction projects. Yes, I enjoy my job most of the time. Why or why not? I work for an excellent company, and my boss is a wonderful man. It's not just about business for him - it's about treating customers and employees right. I never thought contract law could be interesting, but I actually enjoy poring through the documents. The only problem with my job lately is that I'm not busy enough. Our business ebbs and flows, and sometimes I don't have enough work to do. I'd rather be busy all the time at the office.

Bonus Questions:
Once again a big thanks to the man behind the curtain Huh?
You've heard of "Three Strikes and You're Out", which applies when many of us give or have given second chances to other people or businesses.
How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them? Interesting question. I can't think of a time when I kept score like this. If people hurt me, I forgive them. If they hurt me again, I forgive them again. I guess that makes me a doormat sometimes, but it's just the way I've always been. If someone is purposely mean or rude, it would come out early on in the relationship or association, and I wouldn't be drawn to that person in the first place.

When it comes to a business, if I get lousy service once, I let it slide. Lousy service twice in a row, and I probably wouldn't go back.

Have you ever given anyone more chances than you usually do or more than they deserved? If so, what made that instance different? I give people lots of chances. "Seventy times seven" comes to mind.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why? Sure.

Just for Fun

Did you ever hang out at a friend’s house and listen to Cheech & Chong (or other comedians) on vinyl (or radio)? Sure did! What a hoot!
How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)? My gang of friends loved SNL back in the 70s and we often watched it together.
My son once told me he wished he would have been around in the 70’s, so for any of you who are younger is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why? N/A

Today Is:
National Garage Sale Day I'll probably pass one or two when I go out for my walk today.
Play in the Sand Day This is fun!
Presidential Joke Day

Happy Saturday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun? Bra sizer at the Victoria's Secret wearhouse, it was quite thee uplifting experience.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst? Butt crack checker for a clothing venue, it sure was a stinker.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM

38,911 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Today's Questions:

When I worked as an administrative assistant at a large workers comp insurance claims administrator. I supported a regional manager and account executive. Both of them were out of the office much of the time, so I was left alone to do my projects without any interference. Too bad it was so far from home.

My first full-time job after leaving college. The owner/president of the company was a real tyrant who was known to blow his top at the slightest perceived provocation.

Yes, most of my co-workers are young people which gives the atmosphere a lot of energy and vibrancy. The work is challenging enough so I don't get too bored. I've only been with the company a little over a month and I'm still learning something in an industry I've never worked in before.

Bonus Questions:

You've heard of "Three Strikes and You're Out", which applies when many of us give or have given second

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them?
Depends on the seriousness of the offense.

Have you ever given anyone more chances than you usually do or more than they deserved? If so, what
made that instance different?
If so, it's been so long I don't remember.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why?
I'm sure I have, and will leave it at that.

Just for Fun

Did you ever hang out at a friend’s house and listen to Cheech & Chong (or other comedians) on vinyl
(or radio)?
No, but I have occasionally listened to Cheech & Chong on the radio back in the day.

How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)?
Nothing like the original SNL. Sometimes up to 4 or 5 of us would get together.

My son once told me he wished he would have been around in the 70’s, so for any of you who are younger
is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why?
I wouldn't mind reliving the 70s again. It was a fun decade for me.

Have a nice weekend!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,059 times

I was a volunteer at a zoo when I was really young. Once I started *real* jobs, they were all not fun.

I worked at a heat treating plant and it was awful. I started as a tool-bit straightener and then I moved on to shot-blasting parts. After shot-blasting them, I would have to clean them off and then dip them in oil. My arms were black when I went home every day, no joke. One day right in middle of the shift, I tore out a map from the phone book, walked out and walked home without saying a word. I was 17 / 18 at the time I think. I liked my first supervisor, but then he went to another shift and I hated my new one but I became friends with him in my early 20's when he owned a bar (go figure).

My line of work is tough, you're moving all day and it wears you out quick. The job has an extremely high turn around rate, but those people who quit are usually pretty lazy and want a job that's simple without much effort. I enjoy it because it's physical and demanding - You're rarely ever sitting around and that makes the day go by fast. I weigh 155 lbs now, when I moved here from WI I weighed 175 / 180 haha.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 PM

18,222 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Howdy do y’all

Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun? Working in a record store!That's when my collecting bug went into high gear!

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had and what (or who) made it the worst? Well, I've had a few of those (was in construction for 30 plus years), but I'll pick being a dishwasher in all night restaurant-worked graveyard shift.

Bonus Questions:

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them? Depends on the circumstance. Usually I'm pretty lenient. I'm going to say 5.

made that instance different? No, usually I'm pretty firm on the amount.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why? No.

Just for Fun
In honor of Cheech & Chong Day and 1972 heh heh!

(or radio)? There were only a couple songs that could be played regarding their Los Cochinos album, at least during the day anyway. Probably the one that got more airplay during the day was "Sister Mary Elephant" (the substitute teacher skit). The local FM station at night would play a few at night-late night. But they were edited.

How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)?Several times. SNL in the 70's was SO good!

is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why?

Today in History:

1965 - Watts riots begin in Southeast LA, lasts 6 days I remember those days well-sadly!
2009 - A new species of a giant carnivorous plant, Nepethes attenboroughii, is discovered in the central
Philippines highlands

Quote of the Day:

~~ Doug Larson

Today Is:

National Garage Sale DayYeehaw!!! Went to several this morning-got skunked too!
Play in the Sand Day
Presidential Joke Day Ummmmm, naw better not comment on this one!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times

Working for a television station. I loved being part ofthe control room crew. The adrenaline of a live broadcast is scary but also addictive.
I worked briefly as a keypunch operator. That was boring, repetitive and the machine made a lot of noise.
I'm retired.

Bonus Questions:

Too many, probably.
made that instance different?
There was a man at work named Don who tormented me and made my life difficult when I was a newbie. He was not very good at his job but was a master at playing politics to make himself look better and other people look bad. When I finally got Saturdays off, he manipulated the boss and got my schedule changed. Years passed and eventually his incompetence caught up with him. He fell out of favor and was shown the door. Toward the end I even felt sorry for him because he was so pathetic. Ironically, management would only let him work weekends because he was such a screw-up, and I was the one who got weekends off. Around this time Don asked me if I would mind giving him a lift home since I went in the same direction. I said yes, though I should have told him to go fly a kite. I just don't see any point in kicking people when they're down.

Not that I can remember.

Just for Fun

(or radio)?
Yes, except that when I was a teenager we listened to the Smothers Brothersalbums.

I used to watch it a lot back then, and I worked for one of NBC's local affiliates, so I could sometimes see an aircheck of the shows I'd missed.
I would have liked to be around during the 1940s because I love the music, the movies, the clothes and the spirit of the times.

Thanks, Just Joy!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Hi Joy, and everyone, I know.. I'm a little late..

Howdy do y’all

Today's Questions:

What’s the most fun job you’ve ever had and why was it so fun? - I think all my jobs were fun.. any job can be fun when you know you're doing a good job and your employer is getting a great return for the salary they pay you.

If you’re still working, do you enjoy what you’re doing now? Why or why not? - Oh sure.... Now if they were to give me a job to test beers... never mind..

Bonus Questions:

- Sometimes 3 strikes in a row is good.. when you're bowling.. 3 strikes in a row is a Turkey.

How many strikes do you usually allow others before you stop associating with them? - Oh.. it depends, usually 2 or 3 strikes..

made that instance different? - Yes, I've done that plenty of times, and sometimes others just take advantage of you, but I know when to stop giving them more chances.

Have you ever been given any second chances you felt you didn't deserve and if so why? - Oh sure, and it only taught me to respect those others for giving me a second second chance.

Just for Fun
In honor of Cheech & Chong Day and 1972 - Wow.. that's groovy man...

(or radio)? - I've only seen a couple of their movies back in the day.

How many of you used to get together with friends and watch SNL (back when it was good)? - I don't ever recall having such a get-together.

is there a decade you wished you would have been around to experience? Which one and why? - Oh.. I would like to go back to the 1980s for a day or two so just to hear the good Rock 'N Roll music we had back then, instead of the garbage (Rap/Hip Hop) that's popular these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics