Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out?
Well I haven't had very good experiences with roommates over the years, the last time I lived with someone else was with my cousin and her kids.....and I did it twice. She can't hold down a job and I ended up each time paying the bills until I could get out of there. You think I would have learned my lesson the first time.

Extra Credit Question:

Flossie the Furnishing Fairy will deliver a houseful of furniture to your place. What style would you prefer?
Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style....<<I prefer this, but would probably go with something more modern
Art Deco
An eclectic mix of styles
Other:

Bonus Question:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title?
No I don't, I don't own any books, they're just dust collectors

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a Creamsicle?
I have no idea, it's been years

Today Is:

National Navajo Code Talkers Day..............
V-J Day.................................................. ..wonder what happened to all those VJ's from early MTV days
National Creamsicle Day...........................eh, can take or leave 'em
National Financial Awareness Day..............oh I'm aware alright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
[quote=Kobber;25626797]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, August 14th. I finally have a fully furnished and decorated computer/living room in my converted garage! My friend has moved in and now her furniture sits in my old living room and we’ve been busily unpacking her things and rearranging the other rooms in the house to suit both of us! It’s nice to have company but at the same time to have our own space.

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out?....Back in the early 80's when I was getting divorced and moved myself back from California to Illinois. I moved into my mothers house and got a job within two weeks. I was planning my escape because living with two dysfunctional alcoholics (my brother and mother) was not my thing. I had enough money to get an apartment until a nice rain storm came. The roof was leaking so bad I had to put a new one on. That delayed my departure by several months. I only lived there about 7 months. I let a family of four move into my tiny one bedroom apartment once with my doberman who hated kids. That only lasted a couple of months. We are still friends to this day.

Extra Credit Question:

Flossie the Furnishing Fairy will deliver a houseful of furniture to your place. What style would you prefer?
Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other:

Bonus Question:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title?....I still have a couple of antique books that have been in the family. I tried reading a couple of them, best sleeping pill ever. I just found one by Kipling called Phantom Rickshaw. The copyright says 1899 and it's a very small hard cover book with bamboo, vines and berries on it. The last line says "Charlie had tasted the love of woman that kills remembrance, and the finest story in the world would never be written." There is one chapter called "My Own True Ghost Story." I may have to read that.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a Creamsicle?....Quite a few years ago. I was painting our mid century rental the colors of the dreamsicle and thought I should have one when the project was complete. (It's the very house described above and the tenants love it and want to renew the lease for the third year.)

Today in History:

1248 Construction of Cologne Cathedral (Germany) begun
1457 Oldest known exactly dated printed book (c 3 years after Gutenberg)
1820 First U.S. eye hospital, the New York Eye Infirmary, opens in New York City
1880 Construction of Cologne Cathedral completed (exactly 632 years after construction started!)
1893 France issues first driving licenses, included required test
1925 Mount Rushmore first proposed
1965 Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" hits #1
2010 A study suggests the 2010 Haiti Earthquake was caused by a newly discovered fault line

Today’s Word:

Aseptic \ uh-SEP-tik \ , adjective;
1. Free from the living germs of disease, fermentation, or putrefaction.
noun:
1. A product, as milk or fruit juice, that is marketed in an aseptic package or container.
2. Aseptics, (used with a singular verb) a system of packaging sterilized products in airtight containers so that freshness is preserved for several months.

Today Is:

National Navajo Code Talkers Day
V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day ...It reminds me of money
National Financial Awareness Day...Workaholic

Last edited by animalcrazy; 08-14-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out?

I have never lived with anyone who wasn't a relative or SO.

Extra Credit Question:

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other:
Something that would look really cool in a log cabin, which I do not live in...yet!

Bonus Question:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title?
I still have a lot of those books! I re-read Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing? a couple of years ago. It's about a girl with epilepsy who has a seizure and falls into a past-time dream sequence about an ancestor who also had epilepsy. One of my favorite books! It is out of print.

Just for Fun:

It's been a very long time.

Today in History:

1820 First U.S. eye hospital, the New York Eye Infirmary, opens in New York City
1880 Construction of Cologne Cathedral completed (exactly 632 years after construction started!)
2010 A study suggests the 2010 Haiti Earthquake was caused by a newly discovered fault line

Today’s Word:

noun:
1. A product, as milk or fruit juice, that is marketed in an aseptic package or container.
2. Aseptics, (used with a singular verb) a system of packaging sterilized products in airtight containers so that freshness is preserved for several months.

Today Is:

V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day
National Financial Awareness Day Sounds too much like math. I'll let hubby take care of that.

Thanx for the Qs Kobber.
Have a great day everyone!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
Today’s Question:

Back when I was in the Air Force. Bob and Carl were good friends.

Extra Credit Question:

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other: I wouldn't know the difference, just bring the new stuff.

Bonus Question:

NO

Just for Fun:

Haven't had a Creamsicle in years but I make a creamsicle pie that everyone seems to like

Maybe I should bake today.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

noun:

Today Is:

V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day
National Financial Awareness Day[/quote]

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Today’s Question:

Never have done that.

Extra Credit Question:

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other:
South wester motif.

Bonus Question:

Yep, the only one I can remember right now is my old Cub Scout Manual.

Just for Fun:

Don't recall, could have been when I was a pre-teen.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,036 times
Sunny and 108 in the NV desert today.

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out? The year before I was married. Lived with another young female teacher in a house on the grounds of the residential school for the blind at which I taught. Worked out just fine.

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
An eclectic mix of styles, leaning toward "transitional".
Other:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title? Yes, "Winnie the Pooh", A.A. Milne. Read it when I was looking for a poem from my childhood for a workshop I was leading -- "Halfway Down the Stairs".

When was the last time you had a Creamsicle? I don't know what this is, so it's likely I've never had one.

Good luck with your roomie Kobber. Thanks for the questions and happy day everyone!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out? - Oh.. It's been years..

Extra Credit Question:

Flossie the Furnishing Fairy will deliver a houseful of furniture to your place. What style would you prefer? - Something that doesn't have "Made In China" on it..
Art Deco - Hmm.. I knew a guy named Art Deco, and I used to work with him..

Bonus Question:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title? - Hmmm... I might still have a couple of books... or.. <ahem> certain magazines.. still sitting around somewhere... - I'm only kidding, I don't have any books from my childhood years..

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a Creamsicle? - Never heard of it, and I've never had it.. I have no idea what it is, but I suspect it's like a popsicle..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you lived in a ‘share’ situation with someone who wasn’t a ‘significant other’ or a relative? How did (or does) it work out? In the dorm in college. I loved it. I was lucky to have a great roommate each of the 4 years I lived in the dorm.

Extra Credit Question:

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other:

Bonus Question:

Do you still own any of the books you had in your childhood? When was the last time you read one of them, and what is its title? Yes, I still have several of them. My favorite from childhood is Little Women.

Just for Fun:

Oh gosh, it is has been years. I love them and also Drumsticks. I'm off the the ice cream place. Blue Bell has great Drumstick Icecream. Yummers.

Today in History:

1965 Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" hits #1 Cool. Neato. LOL

Today’s Word:

noun:

Today Is:

National Navajo Code Talkers Day Yah ta hay. They saved our bacon.
V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day
National Financial Awareness Day

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Good afternoon everybody from a sunny England.

Now then. The last time I shared a living space with someone other than a 'significant other' was when I was in the army. When I was in training, I shared a big, long hut with about 20 others. No privacy at all of course. When I was posted to my Squadron in Chatham, I shared with three other various people over a 4 year period. If we had girlfriends 'visit', we had to make sure the other three knew the score!!

A houseful of new furniture in any style would be 'art-deco'. I just love it. I did have a few pieces from that period, but my first wife took them with her...I sure miss those art-deco pieces.

This day in 1965 Sonny & Cher hit No1 with 'I Got You Babe' huh? I remember it well. I was a 12 year old boy. I went to see Cher in a Las Vegas show a couple of years ago. Here I am, white haired, a mere shell of the man I used to be. Cher looks just the same - from a distance!!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Today’s Question:

My first year out of college, back in the '80s. Haven't had a roommate since. I like my own space, and even when I'm in lurve, I don't like dealing with other people's messes, so I'm definitely not going to do well with a friend's mess.

Extra Credit Question:

Sleek and modern
Antique
Colonial style
Georgian style
Victorian style
Art Deco
Other: Color, wood, and comfort. I like fluffy fabric couches in dark colors (navy, forest, burgundy, even eggplant), medium wood, painted-brass beds, airiness in some rooms and coziness in others, no florals or leather, and no prints unless it's an accent pillow. Lots of green plants, preferably with big leaves. Not sure what that means. I guess it's called "I Know It When I See It." I would also like a Tiki bar.

Bonus Question:

I don't have the originals that my parents gave me, but I do have a few Dr. Seuss books. I read them last year.

Just for Fun:

Never ate a whole one, only tasted them and didn't like them. It's a texture thing. I like my ice pops to be ice pops and my ice cream to be ice cream. I don't like mixing them. However, if you are taking about a mixed drink called a Creamsicle, then count me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics