Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? About 30'. I saw a bolt of lightning hit the street in front of the retail store I worked at in 1976.

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of? We say "pop" instead of soda.

What about at work or school? As a paralegal, I use some terminology with which some people may not be familiar.

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant? Any server that has the right balance of attentiveness and knowing when to leave me and my dining partner alone to talk. Also, a server who knows the menu offerings well enough to make suggestions when asked. I like frequent water refills and an offer to refill the bread basket. The server must take away empty dishes promptly. My favorite restaurants have all of this down to a science, and it makes the dining experience very pleasant.

Without naming names, how about the worst? I had dinner with 3 girlfriends last February at an upscale restaurant in New Buffalo, MI. We paid a small fortune for our meals and 3 of us were bitterly disappointed. Not only was our food cold, but the server was not at all friendly and was MIA once she served us. She never returned with more water, never asked whether we wanted drink refills, never asked if we wanted dessert. Hard to believe she depends on tips.

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? Yes, I would give a second chance. If I had rotten service twice in a row, though, I wouldn't go back. There are too many other places to choose from. But I figure everybody has an off day now and then. I'd definitely give the server/business a second chance.

Just for fun:
Lots of kids are heading back to school this time of year. The smiley above got me thinking:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? Nope. I have an overactive conscience to begin with. I would've felt too guilty if I'd looked at someone's paper.

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? In elementary school, other kids tried to look at my paper all the time, because they knew I probably had all correct answers.

Did anyone get caught? I recall a few times when someone got caught looking at my paper.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun
1. since 1520s, "short bit of sarcastic writing, witty scoff," of unknown origin
2. a small firework that burns with a hissing noise terminated usually by a slight explosion
3. Australian: a coward
That's a nifty word! I've seen some squibs in my day - all 3 categories of them.

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day Yum! I had some 2 days ago.
Gymnastics Day I enjoy watching gymnastics in the Olympics.
Spongecake Day I don't like spongecake. I like a more dense, flavorful cake.

Love the photo of the red panda. Have a happy day, everybody.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Some places have been getting lots of storms lately with more on the way. That suggests:

Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning?
No one that I can recollect; remember though my DH enjoyed storms. A week, this
year in what would have been our 42nd wedding anniversary, we had a spectacular
storm this town hasn't had in years! For me, it was an anniversary gift from my husband
in Heaven. Thank you Bruce !

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of?
When ordering coffee, we ask for dark roast. When DH asked for coffee in MN, years ago, he
asked the waitress what kind of coffee they had. She looked at him like where is he from? Her
reply: "Regular or decaf !"

What about at work or school?

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant?
Being given a cell phone to use by the manager---no more pay telephones!

Without naming names, how about the worst?
Recently, mints tossed on the table, tab not given and having to wait, finally asked.
Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try?
No, went because a friend wanted to go. Did not hear from corporate either.

Just for fun:
Lots of kids are heading back to school this time of year. The smiley above got me thinking:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school?

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of?

Did anyone get caught?

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun
1. since 1520s, "short bit of sarcastic writing, witty scoff," of unknown origin
2. a small firework that burns with a hissing noise terminated usually by a slight explosion

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:
I took this picture of a red panda last year. It was almost closing time at the zoo. The funny thing
about it was the panda seemed to know the day was over. He walked down the tree in his enclosure
and entered the door into a smaller enclosure like he was leaving work. He did everything but clock out with a timecard.
Enjoyed; thank you for sharing!

Wishing you all a good day!
Trying again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,775,765 times
Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? No close encounters here!

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of?
Not that I can think of....

What about at work or school?Nope

Foodie Question:
Schulers fine dining restaurant, I also worked there.

Waited 25 minutes for a box that never came.

Yes of course, we are regulars there.

Just for fun:
Yes!

Not that I know of.

Did anyone get caught? I once was caught in science class with the answers wrote on my hand. A boy who sat behind me told on me.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Expressions: Dear friend from MO would say-"God willin' and the creek don't rise."

Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
[quote=bjh;25764907]Some places have been getting lots of storms lately with more on the way. That suggests:

Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? We have a Summer Monsoon season in AZ. Last night the lightening was bouncing off my block wall, I could also see it through the skylite.

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of? No.

What about at work or school? No.a

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant? I don't like the wait staff to be fawning all over me. As long as my food is served in a reasonable amount of time and it's hot and tasty, I'm happy.

Without naming names, how about the worst? Slow service and lousy food.

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? No and they usually end up going out of business.

Just for fun:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? I may have glanced once or twice to compare notes.

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? Don't know.

Did anyone get caught? I didn't.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
[quote=bjh;25764907]Some places have been getting lots of storms lately with more on the way. That suggests:

Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? ....A long time ago we were with friends on a boat in Lake Michigan waiting for the 4th fireworks when an incredible storm came up. We only had tarps and umbrellas for cover which was fine until the lightening came. I was terrified. Another time when I was in my 20's I would trail guide so I could ride horses all weekend and get paid for it. I was sent out with around 12 kids and you could see the lightening hitting the field in front of us. The kids were scared and the horses spooked. A bunch of kids fell off and I couldn't stop my horse. That was a disaster but no serious injuries. Another time around Halloween this little storm came up after work and I was about to jump in the shower. I hesitated because of the lightening and one bolt hit so close to the house that it turned on a Halloween prop I had upstairs. Another time after work at the big box hospital I was going to my car parked on the roof when my hair started to rise. Some other people were up there and I told them to get in their cars as that was a sign of a lightening strike. That hospital was the perfect place to watch storms on the 7th floor cat walk. We used to watch some nice sun rises with a priest we liked a lot. One morning I talked to him about sex or the lack of. I think I must be going to hell for that one.

Bonus Question:
We are such a melting pot here it's sometimes difficult to understand one another, but I think that has more to do with accents.

What about at work or school?....At work I wean people off of ventilators and various oxygen devices. A common saying throughout the shift among RT's is how many weaners do you have. One day after report much to my amazement and delight I declared in the break room that I was weanerless. Our ID doc walked in just as I said that and everybody was laughing and asked if he should leave the room. (That's still not as embarrassing as seeing the doc that did your colonoscopy on a regular basis)

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant?...On our 25th anniversary in the Bahamas at a restaurant outside of Atlantis. We were the only ones there as we purposely went early to be alone. Well it didn't turn out that way as even the cook came out to visit us and wish us a happy 25th.

Without naming names, how about the worst?....A Mexican restaurant that was virtually deserted.

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try?...We did but I got so sick after eating there. Never again.

Just for fun:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school?...Oh I'm sure I did.

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of?....I'm sure they did.

Did anyone get caught?....Probably

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. )
1617 1st one-way streets opened in London. Ancient Romans had one way streets hundreds of years prior.
1784 Eastern Tennessee settlers declared their area an independent state and named it Franklin; a year later the Continental Congress rejected it
1869 1st transcontinental railroad car of freight (boots and shoes) arrived in San Francisco from Boston
1924 Mars' closest approach to Earth since the 10th century
1939 John Cobb of Great Britain drove 365.85 MPH/593.48 KPH at Bonneville Flats in Utah
1977 1st man-powered flight of a mile by Bryan Allen in Gossamer Condor at Minter Field in Shafter, California
2004 The French Parliament banned junk food and soft drink vending machines in French schools
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck near Mineral, Virginia - the most powerful in the area since 1897. The quake left cracks near the top of the Washington Monument.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:
I took this picture of a red panda last year. It was almost closing time at the zoo. The funny thing
about it was the panda seemed to know the day was over. He walked down the tree in his enclosure
and entered the door into a smaller enclosure like he was leaving work. He did everything but clock out with a timecard.

Wishing you all a good day! And you as well. I'm off today and it was my last of 6 day stretches. I cut my hours on the next schedule

Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Today's Question:
One summer while the family was at the south rim of the Grand Canyon a storm was brewing over the north rim. A holy of lightning struck a tree which exploded in flames about 500 feet below us down in the canyon. It was strange seeing the lightning strike below where we were standing.

Bonus Question:
When you have worked in the aerospace industry for as long as I did, the are weekly if not daily new ones.

See above.

Foodie Question:
At Duanes at the Mission Inn in Riverside, CA.

Never had what I would call bad service.

I might if the situation warranted it.

Just for fun:
I'm sure I did.

I'm sure they did.

Did anyone get caught?
Some did, but not me.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
Today's Question:
Before last Friday I would have answered "no" but on Friday a friend's house was struck by lightning. She and her cat are fine but the lightning melted almost all of the wiring in the house.

Bonus Question:
This is not quite an answer to the question but it is about unusual expressions.
My mother's family comes from east Texas. My maternal grandmother, who was a nurse, used to say things like "Will you carry me to the store?" "I'd be proud to do that for you."

My father's family is from Brooklyn and Long Island, NY. When I was a kid and would write thank-you notes to them my father would read them before mailing because of my wording. He would help me change things like "I had a blast" to "I had a wonderful time." My grandparents would no doubt think I was in an explosion.

Just one more. When my nephew was a little guy he was really into the Ninja Turtles. One Christmas he got NT skates and said to my mother "These are the greatest. Thank you, Dudette." My BIL quickly told him not to call his grandmother "Dudette." AHAHAHA

I love these memories. Thank you, bjh.

What about at work or school? I don't recall any.

Foodie Question:
Actually, the best service we ever had was at the buffet at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Our flight was leaving at 2:00 pm and we hit the buffet for breakfast with a load of newspapers and did not leave until we had eaten lunch, too. The waitress was wonderful. She made sure we had fresh coffee and other drinks all through those hours. She'd even bring us frest bread, etc. So after about 5 hours there we tipped her $20.00.

Without naming names, how about the worst? It was at a cafe and the waitress was just horrible to all of us in the cafe. We finally complained to the manager.

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? No way.

Just for fun:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? No.

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? I don't think so.

Did anyone get caught?

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. ) I was there and it was as hot as a cat on a hot tin roof.
1617 1st one-way streets opened in London. Ancient Romans had one way streets hundreds of years prior.
1784 Eastern Tennessee settlers declared their area an independent state and named it Franklin; a year later the Continental Congress rejected it
1869 1st transcontinental railroad car of freight (boots and shoes) arrived in San Francisco from Boston
1939 John Cobb of Great Britain drove 365.85 MPH/593.48 KPH at Bonneville Flats in Utah
1977 1st man-powered flight of a mile by Bryan Allen in Gossamer Condor at Minter Field in Shafter, California
2004 The French Parliament banned junk food and soft drink vending machines in French schools
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck near Mineral, Virginia - the most powerful in the area since 1897. The quake left cracks near the top of the Washington Monument.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day Bring it. I have my bib on.
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM

19,725 posts, read 10,501,769 times

Chislic is a preparation of cubed red meat, usually deep-fried or grilled. It is virtually unknown outside the state of South Dakota in the USA.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question:
My grandma and I were looking out the window during a storm, way back when I was a kid. Lightning struck the metal water meter cover in the front yard. The thunder was simultaneous. My grandma and I screamed, but were unharmed.

Bonus Question:

In my particular part of Indiana, when we say we're going "downtown," we mean Chicago, where you can ride the "L," or "El," which is the elevated train in "the Loop," Chicago's governmental, business, shopping, and theater district.
Two of our local towns, Hobart and Valparaiso, have local pronunciations. We know you're not from around these parts if you pronounce it HO-bart, not HO-bert, or if you say Val-pa-RY-zo, instead of Val-pa-RAY-zo, or simply VAL-po.

My favorite job-related slang was when I was a "stripper." My job was to "strip" excess vinyl away from die-cut adhesive decals for semi trucks. I have also been a "stripper and mounter!" My job then was sort of similar. I was to "strip" the protective backing off of two-sided tape on microfilm, which I would then "mount" onto sheets of acetate, making microfiche. Yes, that was the actual job title.

What did you think I was doing?!?!

Foodie Question:
I have had some very good service over the years.

The worst was when a waitress brought me water and a menu and didn't come back. After waiting about 10 minutes, I heard her telling her manager she didn't want to wait on me because she was frightened by the symbol on my necklace. Too bad. Her replacement had an easy customer, and got a very nice tip for her time.

I did several times, and even got the same waitress a few times. As was her way, she passed me off to another waitress. As a former watress myself, I know how these things work, so I always made it a point to be the easiest customer a waitress could possibly have, and give the waitress a hefty tip. I never mentioned to any of the staff that I knew why the original waitress didn't want to wait on me.

Just for fun:
No

Only once, in math class. It felt so icky I never did it again.

Most likely. Fool.

Did anyone get caught?
I didn't get caught, and no one who may have looked on my paper got caught.

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire
(Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. ) I sure feel older sometimes!

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day No thanx, I'll just watch someone else do it.
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:
I took this picture of a red panda last year.

Thanx for the Qs bjh, and the photo of the beautiful Red Panda.
Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics