Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,172 posts, read 30,479,337 times

Advertisements

Some places have been getting lots of storms lately with more on the way. That suggests:

Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning?

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of?

What about at work or school?

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant?

Without naming names, how about the worst?

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try?

Just for fun:
Lots of kids are heading back to school this time of year. The smiley above got me thinking:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school?

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of?

Did anyone get caught?

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. )
1617 1st one-way streets opened in London. Ancient Romans had one way streets hundreds of years prior.
1784 Eastern Tennessee settlers declared their area an independent state and named it Franklin; a year later the Continental Congress rejected it
1869 1st transcontinental railroad car of freight (boots and shoes) arrived in San Francisco from Boston
1924 Mars' closest approach to Earth since the 10th century
1939 John Cobb of Great Britain drove 365.85 MPH/593.48 KPH at Bonneville Flats in Utah
1977 1st man-powered flight of a mile by Bryan Allen in Gossamer Condor at Minter Field in Shafter, California
2004 The French Parliament banned junk food and soft drink vending machines in French schools
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck near Mineral, Virginia - the most powerful in the area since 1897. The quake left cracks near the top of the Washington Monument.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun
1. since 1520s, "short bit of sarcastic writing, witty scoff," of unknown origin
2. a small firework that burns with a hissing noise terminated usually by a slight explosion
3. Australian: a coward

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:
I took this picture of a red panda last year. It was almost closing time at the zoo. The funny thing
about it was the panda seemed to know the day was over. He walked down the tree in his enclosure
and entered the door into a smaller enclosure like he was leaving work. He did everything but clock out with a timecard.

Wishing you all a good day!

Last edited by bjh; 08-22-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,964,304 times
Today's Question:
Can't think of any...

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of?
Probably! I imagine..... Fair to Midland..

Oh yeah...**** ******** ***** 8*** 8^$#@6@^^%$^@$^$^@@$##% etc.......

Foodie Question:
Decent!

Just for fun:
Lots of kids are heading back to school this time of year. The smiley above got me thinking:
Only with the "Force"..

Did anyone get caught?

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. ) I feel older ....j/k!
1617 1st one-way streets opened in London. Ancient Romans had one way streets hundreds of years prior.
1784 Eastern Tennessee settlers declared their area an independent state and named it Franklin; a year later the Continental Congress rejected it
1869 1st transcontinental railroad car of freight (boots and shoes) arrived in San Francisco from Boston
1939 John Cobb of Great Britain drove 365.85 MPH/593.48 KPH at Bonneville Flats in Utah
1977 1st man-powered flight of a mile by Bryan Allen in Gossamer Condor at Minter Field in Shafter, California
2004 The French Parliament banned junk food and soft drink vending machines in French schools
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck near Mineral, Virginia - the most powerful in the area since 1897. The quake left cracks near the top of the Washington Monument.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun
1. since 1520s, "short bit of sarcastic writing, witty scoff," of unknown origin
2. a small firework that burns with a hissing noise terminated usually by a slight explosion

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:
I took this picture of a red panda last year. It was almost closing time at the zoo. The funny thing
about it was the panda seemed to know the day was over. He walked down the tree in his enclosure
and entered the door into a smaller enclosure like he was leaving work. He did everything but clock out with a timecard.

Thanks BJH! Nice pic^^!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,053,744 times
Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? We rarely get lightning but there were some storms with lightning outside my window ... I nearly got caught in a rainstorm with lightning but called a cab ahead of time to avoid waiting as there was no shelter at this train station...

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of? None that I can think of ...

What about at work or school? Ha! We have TONS of terms that might be foreign to you guys such as ...
Matriculation - Refers to a set of services that a college provides to students to ensure their success
Articulation - Agreement between two institutions in which courses are deemed equivalent
IGETC - Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum
VOD - Verification of disability
There are others but my wittle brain is tired

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant? Just recently, I had a nice meal for my birthday at an Asian fusion restaurant in Toronto ... The server advised me that my dessert was on the house as it was my birthday ... Yeah ... I tipped him well

Without naming names, how about the worst? I was at Dennys with a girlfriend of mine when Miss PMS waitress had a nasty attitude ... She even slammed our drinks down on the table ...
Also, I was looking forward to visiting a restaurant owned by one of my favorite singers ... me and my girlfriend were totally ignored until we flagged someone down to take our order ... Will NEVER return there again ...

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? The Dennys restaurant? Yes as it would be unlikely I'll get the same server as the incident was over a decade ago ... The other restaurant, no because the experience just pissed me off so bad and the food wasn't all that great ... Just an overpriced restaurant in a touristy area ...

Just for fun:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? Never

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? Not that I'm aware of ...

Did anyone get caught? N/A

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,765,054 times
Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? About 25-30'

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of? Just a mossing around

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant? Abuelos

Without naming names, how about the worst? A five star joint in Orlando, FL

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? Never

Just for fun: http://s16.rimg.info/32be3da439ce2f7...2e17a6d318.gif
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? No, Didn't have to.

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? No Idea

Did anyone get caught? No

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. )Much older
1869 1st transcontinental railroad car of freight (boots and shoes) arrived in San Francisco from Boston Now they arrive faster from China.

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day
Spongecake Day

A Picture for Today:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...emphis-zoo.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,349,405 times
Hi, BJH - I haven't had time to stop by for a while, but figured I'd catch your questions before I head off to bed. Thanks for posting them early enough!

Today's Question:

I don't know of anyone who's had a memorably close encounter with lightning, which is probably a good thing, when you think about it.

Bonus Question:

If you're in Wisconsin and someone asks you where the bubbler is, they're looking for a drinking fountain.

I work at a state agency, and darn near everything is known by its initials. I compiled a glossary of all the different things designated by initials in one document, and the glossary was as long as the doc was.

Foodie Question:

This is kind of a loaded question, because it's based on how a person defines good service at a restaurant. My father, rest his soul, defined good service as what you'd get in one of those high-falutin' places where they have seventeen different people waiting on each table (one to pour water, one to pour coffee, one to put on the plates of food, one to take them off, one to grate the pepper for you, one to grate the cheese for you, one to bring you wine, a different one to open it, and on and on and on). I hate places like that; I'd rather go to a restaurant where they treat you like real people. And the best place for that is the Daisy Cafe & Cupcakery.

Way back when my spouse and I were still dating (i.e., during the Pleistocene), he and I went to a fawncy French restaurant that had just opened in the city where we lived at the time. The waiter evidently found my then-boyfriend quite attractive, because he spent the entire evening hitting on him - wouldn't even look at me, let alone refill my water glass.

We didn't. The food was no more than so-so, and I am not interested in paying to watch someone else flirt with my partner.

Just for fun:

No.

I doubt it, but couldn't say for certain.

Did anyone get caught?

No clue.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,168 times
Today's Question:
Back in my college days I once worked on a wheat harvest crew in Montana. A bolt of lightning hit a fence post that was 5 feet from the bunkhouse I was in. It was instant daylight inside the bunkhouse.

Bonus Question:
In Alaska, if we are going to travel to another state we will usually say one of the following:
-We are going stateside.
-We are going down south.
-We are going to the states.
-We are going to the lower 48

Just like any other industry, the aviation industry has many expressions and terms that make no sense to someone outside the industry.

Foodie Question:
That would have been at a Sizzler restaurant many years ago. They had a special of steak and all the snow crab you can eat. At first my sever brought out a plate with 5 or 6 crab legs. A little later he brought me a refill with 4 crab legs. At that point I decided my server and I needed to come to an understanding. I told him I intended to eat a lot, and I do mean a lot, of crab. I told him he could spend several hours bringing me 4 crab legs at a time, or he could save a lot of walking and time by bringing more crab at a time. He was a bright lad and figured it out. When he brought out my next refill there must have been 15 crab legs on a serving platter. As I was getting to the last crab leg on the platter my server showed up with another platter full. I could hear several other customers complaining to each other over how long they were having to wait before they got their refill with only 4 crab legs. Many of them thought I must have been a food critic or something as I was getting special treatment. I was very surprised that none of the other customers thought to come to an understanding with their server. I left my server a very nice tip that night.

That would have been at a steak and seafood joint in Florance, OR. My meal came with a salad. They only had ranch and 1000 island dressing. I tried to get oil and vinegar but they did not have any vinegar. So I told my server to skip the salad. She offered to bring soup instead but I declined the offer. She brought me soup anyway. I told her to take it back as I had already told her I did not want any. I could hear her talking about me to someone else in the kitchen. When I went to pay I asked for the manager. The manager was less than amused when I suggested that if they were going to talk about the customers, they should turn the radio up so the customer does not hear them.

Not going to happen

Just for fun:
I got very good grades in school (until I got to college. Then I only got good grades). I did not need to look at others.

There was a time or two or many that others would glance at my paper.

Did anyone get caught?
Only by me. Most of the time I did not care as it was their problem if they failed to learn anything. However there was one person who I really did not like that would try to sit next to me on test day. I cured him of copying me by marking all wrong answers on my test and then when I was sure he had copied my answers, I changed my answers to the correct ones. Even the teacher was surprised when he got a zero on the test.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 08-22-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,964,304 times
Talking about the Red Pandas nearing extinction on "Nightline" right now!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,172 posts, read 30,479,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Talking about the Red Pandas nearing extinction on "Nightline" right now!
I hope not. Zoos will help them survive. That's weird, though. Because of my time card comment I thought about saying something like, "Have a timely day," but that's such a bad pun. Turns out it would have been *really* timely.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times
Today's Question:
It hit a tree right outside my window as a kid. The next sound was the branches hitting the roof. No major damage though.

Bonus Question:
Not really. My part of the country has had too many movies made about it for everyone else not to be overexposed to the locals.

Same thing for my profession.

Foodie Question:
A few places on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Once they know it's your birthday, they bend over backwards to make the experience wonderful.

The worst is when they get your order wrong, then leave you sitting and sitting and sitting before they bring the check. After a while, I took to standing up and putting my coat on, then heading for the door. THEN they'll come running over with the check.

Only if it was a group outing and everyone else wanted to go there.

Just for fun:
No. Nuns have eyes in the back of their heads. That's why they wear habits: So you can't see their freakish extra-ocularism.

They tried.

Did anyone get caught?
Oh, yes. Foolish, foolish children, to attempt such a feat with Sister Mary Octo-Eyes roaming through the aisles.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,504 times
Today's Question:
What's the closest encounter you or someone you know has had with lightning? Hit somewhere near my car on a county road one night....not sure if it hit the car or just nearby, but it bounced the car

Bonus Question:
Any slang words or expressions from your area of the country others might not have heard of? Can't think of any that I would ever use or repeat.

What about at work or school? SME's Subject matter experts. Yeah, right!!!

Foodie Question:
What's the best service you've ever had at a restaurant? Had so many good services, it's hard to name one.

Without naming names, how about the worst? Oh, yeah!!! A few times when the person who was supposed to be taking care of us was on their phone. I hate to beg for service when I stop in somewhere...........

Did you or would you give a place that was bad another try? Depended on the time of day........

Just for fun:
Did you ever look on someone else's paper in school? Only once. I was as nervous as a .................... well, never mind. Never did it again..........couldn't read the paper anyway!!

Or did someone look at yours, that you know of? No

Did anyone get caught? A few times..........

Today in History:
79 Mount Vesuvius began rumbling, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire (Are you older or younger than this event? J/k. )

Today’s Word:
squib [skwib] noun

Today Is:
Buttered Corn Day
Gymnastics Day OUCH!!
Spongecake Day

Happy Thursday, everyone, and thank you, bjh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics