Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

DO YOU HAVE ROOM IN YOUR HEART AND HOME . . . . . . .

. . . . . . to welcome a new pet? If so, please consider visiting your local animal shelter
or rescue group and adopting a dog or cat. Whether you are currently petless or already
have a pet or two, give some thought to taking in a new furry friend. Many thousands
of shelter animals are available and up to half of them will be euthanized if someone
does not give them a loving home.

While mutts can make excellent pets, if you have your heart set on a purebred, check
out this interesting fact. On average, purebreds account for 25-30% of a shelter's dog
population.

A good animal shelter will thoroughly evalute the animals' health and temperament.
The employees can help you choose the best cat or dog for your particular living situation.
Do you have small living quarters? Children? A big, fenced-in yard? Do you prefer a
laid-back pet or one with high energy? The shelter folks can find the right match for you.

Rescue groups are usually run by people who specialize in a particular breed. They are
very knowledgeable about the breed and provide foster homes for pets until they are
adopted.

So, think about opening your heart and home to a new pet. Save a life and gain the love
of a wonderful new furry friend.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
My heart and home runneth over with pets. We love the pets and your tips Pam! Rescue pets in dire need folks! Thanks Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 PM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
big back dogs are the last to be adopted, except for big black old dogs.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a white muzzle!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Do I need an extra room for the pets? With an attached bathroom and king size bed? lol

So much I would love to have pets, unfortunately I can't have any, otherwise I would abuse them with my long absences and they would have to take Prozac to stay happy...

Great tip, Pam!!! I am sure those who have time and room, should take some of the, so cute and loving pets from the shelters.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,700,004 times
I would love to rescue a dog but hubby says "No."

Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,594 times
A wonderful tip for every day of the year!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Nice tip. Unfortunately we can't have cats or dogs, but we do have 2 pet rocks, one named Stoner the other named Pebbles, and their offspring Gravelly and Sandy. Does that count.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,300 times
Most awesome tip Pammy!!! Rescued animals are so worth it! My Pit bull/black lab, Mr.Gator Bone is the most loving, goofy fur person ever! He is also a rescued dog. I paid a guy $50 to keep him out of a dog fighting circuit. He was only 7 weeks old and had a broken foot, so they were going to use him as "bait". Can you imagine that? Pure evil.
I had to grovel and beg for that pup, but he gave in for the money that he said he'd lose without that tiny pup!

When we moved to the country, Gator saved my life twice by putting himself between me and rattlesnakes, on two different occasions. His love is so unconditional and he proved it by protecting me with his life.
Rescued animals are a priceless gift, and I am so blessed to have mine!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,092,215 times
It is so sad to go to a pet shelter which is not a no-kill center. It makes my heart sad and I want to take them all. Our last collie was one which had been beaten and abused. But he found a happy home and loved us both but was scared of loud noises, the vacuum and the broom all of his life. We lost him two years ago due to illness and I still miss him.

Praise to those who take in rescue animals!

I personally feel dogs are people in disguise!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM

36,423 posts, read 16,036,192 times
Oh how I would love to!! I work full time so I don't think it's fair to leave him/her home so long without me. I do share custody of Maggie a border collie my Dad rescued from the North Carolina Border Collie Rescue Organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics