Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times

Advertisements

What is needed to transfer a shotgun through an FFL? I am purchasing a shotgun from an out of state private seller. It is being shipped into Texas to a local FFL holder.

The FFL holder is telling me that the seller must provide a copy of his drivers license to complete the transfer form, the seller is telling me that his FFL is saying that is not needed and that the Texas FFL is pulling some kind of scam.

Anyone know the true story? I know that if this was being shipped from another FFL that the receiving FFL requires the sellers FFL. How is a sale between private individuals handled since we are in differnt states and a receiving FFL must be involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
john, from what I am aware of, the rules/regs vary so durn much from state to state, makes it very difficult to give a complete/accurate answer, w/o knowing all the exact particulars. Is it possible to have a teleconf, where you, your FFL, the seller's FFL, and maybe the seller too can all get on the same page at same time? Your FFL and his FFL may indeed both be correct - just different rules in different states. I've not looked for the answer here, but maybe you can find particulars?
ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
ATF Online - Publication 5300.5: State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms
Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
John,
My Husband got a Browning Shot Gun from Texas and he said all he had to do was provide the seller a signed copy of the ffl and the seller shipped the gun to the dealer . When the gun arrives you fill out papers pay the dealer what he charges for allowing you to use his ffl licenses and it is recorded on the Dealers books and the gun is regestered in your name.The dealer you are getting the gun from then has to see your dl's and fills out a yellow paper. This is buying a gun from texas and receiving it in N.C.
Does this help or did I misunderstand the question?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
John,
My Husband got a Browning Shot Gun from Texas and he said all he had to do was provide the seller a signed copy of the ffl and the seller shipped the gun to the dealer . When the gun arrives you fill out papers pay the dealer what he charges for allowing you to use his ffl licenses and it is recorded on the Dealers books and the gun is regestered in your name.The dealer you are getting the gun from then has to see your dl's and fills out a yellow paper. This is buying a gun from texas and receiving it in N.C.
Does this help or did I misunderstand the question?
Thats the way I understand it also, I don't know why he would need the drivers license unless he feels he needs to verify the FFL's identity

there is a thread on guns in the Hobby fourm those guys could answer the question.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Update:

The private seller shipped the gun directly to the receiving FFL, but did not include any government issued id with the shipment. The receiving FFL is still demanding some proof of id to complete his record keeping before transferring it to me. He has had recent experience with the local BATF auditing his records and does not want to risk having inadequate records for any weapons transferred through his shop.

The ATF has responded to me that private sellers do not need to produce identification, but that the receiving FFL may demand it at their discretion. This issue was complicated because the seller used a gunsmithing address in his shipping, but claims he is not an FFL holder. My FFl is leery of this statement.

My situation now is that the seller is adamant about not providing his id to the ffl holder. The ffl holder who has received the shotgun is waiting for the local ATF to provide a written declaration that he does not need the id as previously instructed verbally by the local agents.

I have received statements from ATF reps that name and address is required, but no id must be presented. This has been sent to me in email and I have forwarded them to my ffl guy. As a result of these emails, he has requested a direct communication from ATF to him confirming this. He will waive his id request if he can get something in writing directly from ATF stating id is not required from private individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics