Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times

Advertisements

Joy asked me to fill in for her today.. I may not be as pretty as she is, but... I'll do.. for the time being..

Didja Know that... It is estimated that millions of trees in the world are accidentally planted by gray and red squirrels that bury nuts and other seeds they collect in many places as food to last them through the winter months, and then forget where they burried them!

Those nutty little critters can be big helpers sometimes.

How squirrels store food - Science Updates - Science NetLinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
We have a lot of albino squirrels where I live. I wonder if they plant the birch trees?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
All I have to say is: thank god for forgetfulness! The squirrel probably curses his forgetfulness, not realizing that his forgetfulness is an important factor in planting the forests of this world, which is an important factor in other things such as cleanliness of the air, which is a factor in the very survival of every living organism on the planet.

Something to remember the next time I have a senior moment.

Let's hear it for forgetfulness, Woohoo! it's part of the grand scheme of the survival of our world.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Nice DJK Mike.

The squirrels here are going mad for the bird seed in the garden at the moment.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Mr. VA filled up a box with walnuts so the lawn mower would not be throwing them around and forgot and left them under a tree. Anybody want a walnut tree. We have bunches of them.

It must have been the squirrels that planted all the pecans around our fence. Wonder when the chestnut trees will be ready to plant. I can tell you we have all three kinds of nut trees; but don't ask me which one is which.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Squirrels need to have GPS units that will tell them where the nuts got buried.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Squirrels need to have GPS units that will tell them where the nuts got buried.
LOL... I won't say anything about squirrels burrying their nuts... and out of respect for those who have passed away, I'll refrain from saying anything...

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Joy asked me to fill in for her today.. I may not be as pretty as she is, but... I'll do.. for the time being..

Didja Know that... It is estimated that millions of trees in the world are accidentally planted by gray and red squirrels that bury nuts and other seeds they collect in many places as food to last them through the winter months, and then forget where they burried them!

Those nutty little critters can be big helpers sometimes.

How squirrels store food - Science Updates - Science NetLinks
Oh, I know that all too well, Mike! I have two black walnut trees and LOTS of squirrels living in and near my yard. They bury nuts every fall and forget where they put them, and every spring I have to pull up sprouted walnut trees from all over the yard. The critters even bury them in potted plants!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's the understatement for the year...

Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
That's the understatement for the year...
LOL.. Why thank you Nitram, the last thing I need to hear right now.. Is you telling me that I am as pretty as Joy... The understatement of the year? Well.. then again, the year is only 43 days old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics