Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

And now for something completely different........

I've had recent requests for a sticky thread in Other Topics for users to post their personal and/or fun photos. We're going to try it out and see how it goes. Here are a few ground rules:
  1. Be careful not to post any copyrighted photos. Post only photographs that you took yourself or to which you have ownership or use rights.
  2. This is not a substitute for the photography forum and is not the appropriate place to discuss or critique photo techniques. There's an entire forum devoted to that.
  3. Please post your photograph with a bit of commentary. Tell us the story behind your picture!
  4. Feel free to comment on others' photographs.
Enjoy!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Thank you for making this sticky (stickie ?), so we can make conversation about our images

This is my mother in 1968 on a horse in NZ (my parents lived there for a few years).
She grew up riding horses, though she doesn't look at ease here.
This was taken 5 years before I was born, so I don't know the story behind it-I just like the picture.
Fortunately, there's caption on back that she wrote, saying she looked grumpy because my father shaved his beard.
Guess she & I differed in that respect, because as a kid, I would always shriek & cry when my father had facial hair.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM

That's a nifty picture, cloven. Thanks for sharing your story!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM

My sister and me in our grandma's backyard, 1955. Grandma loved pink and loved flamingoes, so she always had these fake flamingoes stuck in the ground during the summer months. Our house and lot were back to back with my grandma and grandpa's, so we visited them every day. In the background of the photo, to the right, you can see our house.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-16-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
My sister and me in our grandma's backyard, 1955. Grandma loved pink and loved flamingoes, so she always had these fake flamingoes stuck in the ground during the summer months. Our house and lot were back to back with my grandma and grandpa's, so we visited them every day. .
Cute pic-I used to covet my neighbor's pink flamingo yard decor -lucky you

Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,308,704 times
Cloven, I love the pic of your Mama! I think she looks GREAT on that horse. She seats the saddle well and has a natural and comfy posture too. Awesone!!!

Pammy! Girl, you did it again and came up with a new favorite on my list of posts! I LOVE PICS!!! All kinds, and especially oldies. Love your pic too. Precious little girls in your Granny's back yard! Awesome! And those curls!!!! Oh how my Mama wanted me to have curls... and permed my hair every 4 months or so with me hog tied in my high chair. Yeah. I sat in that chair until I was 7 years old. Shamelessly claiming my rights as the "Baby" in the family! LOL

Okay, now for one of mine.

This was taken by one of those traveling photographers way back in the day. I don't know what year this was taken, but based on my Mama's age, and figuring backwards, I'm thinkin it was around 1870 give or take a few years. Next time I'll ask my sister Rose about the dates first! LOL
Oh, they lived in the Carolina Piedmont area, in a place referred to as 12 Forks. My G G Grandfather was a real character with a sharp sense of humor. My GG Granny was known for being a good "Wet Nurse", and I don't know much about my G G Uncle Joseph except that he made good shine.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
Cloven, I love the pic of your Mama! I think she looks GREAT on that horse. She seats the saddle well and has a natural and comfy posture too. Awesone!!!
Appreciate the comment, I wouldn't know that sort of thing.

I cannot see your photo (which you've described) anywhere (in your post here)-maybe try to post it again ?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Ruby's photo is there. This occurs now and then, some see them some don't. I've yet to hear it explained.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,308,704 times
I took this pic a couple months ago. I call it, "Charlie and the Bottle". LOL

Thankfully he is finally weaned! Whew! I've heard of kids who didn't want to give up their bottles, but Charlie Cow brought a whole new sense of clarity to me when it came to weaning!

If anyone knows how to make a pic show up that others can't see, I have no problem with anyone doing that. Feel free to wave your magic wand and make the pic viewable for others! I know that I too have times when I can't see a pic that others can, and it is very disappointing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics