Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,679,200 times

Advertisements

No not mine or yours but those humorous events in dealing with the older generation. This is not a relationship thing. It just events in live that some times amaze us and make us wonder what will I be like when I reach that age.

Here is a sample dialog with my 92+ mom:

Mom: I don't like grill marks on my meat.
Me: Do you want me to do it in an iron skillet so it has just one big grill mark instead of stripes?
Mom: Blank stare, total silence.

You get even during the second childhood. Wait, I'm in mine already. Mom's a great great grandma. She is back in a great infancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
No not mine or yours but those humorous events in dealing with the older generation. This is not a relationship thing. It just events in live that some times amaze us and make us wonder what will I be like when I reach that age.

Here is a sample dialog with my 92+ mom:

Mom: I don't like grill marks on my meat.
Me: Do you want me to do it in an iron skillet so it has just one big grill mark instead of stripes?
Mom: Blank stare, total silence.

You get even during the second childhood. Wait, I'm in mine already. Mom's a great great grandma. She is back in a great infancy.
Your post made me laugh, Nomad. But I can't think of a story of my own. Maybe tomorrow.....

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM

I'm sure cashiers see a lot of second childhood moments while ringing up sales for the elderly on their day out. One of the best wife and I saw was two ladies in front of us checking out after a breakfast at a Shoney's long ago. They had their meal on one ticket. The change came to an odd penny. They stood and argued over how to split the penny holding up the line. Don't remember if the cashier finally donated a penny to get the line moving or not but we were next in line and got a little frustrated. Had I been thinking on my feet I'd of donated a penny to get back on the road.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 AM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,431,649 times
Many second childhood folks think they're operating at the level of a capable adult. They don't realize they've slid back to adolescence or even early childhood. It's like a young kid with keys to the car and all adult responsibilities, but fewer and fewer connections to reality. And it ain't gonna get any better.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,281,937 times
I know exactly what you're dealing with!! My 90 year MIL can't figure out how we know she does things that we don't want her doing. Example: we don't want her going up and down the garage steps because a fall on the concrete would be very bad. We come in the garage and see a trail of potatoes back into the house. We ask "have you be out in the garage" her answer "no". She fibs about things all the time and can't figure out how we know what she has been doing.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
My wife's always telling me to "stop acting like a child"...

Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 AM

21,562 posts, read 8,741,665 times
My mother-in-law was raised on a farm and left school at age 14. She was very old-fashioned and suspicious of new technology. She wouldn't even use an electric mixer, and had to special-order a wringer washer in the 1950s because she didn't know how to use the other kind.

One day when we were visiting her from out of town, we took her to see our hotel room. My husband demonstrated to her how the door opened with a key card instead of a metal key. She looked baffled and said, "I don't understand that government stuff."

She became confused after a number of mini-strokes and went into assisted living. Though she had trouble finding words, that didn't stop her from expressing what she wanted to say. She came up with some creative vocabulary.

Freeway: "Six roads this way and six roads that way"
French fries: "Those sticks we always get"
Vanna White: "That gal that walks back and forth, back and forth"
Chiropractor: "That doctor that rubs you all over"

Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
I can relate to all of the responses!! Occasionally I get taken aback by the answers I hear. Once I got up in the middle of the night and the fridge door was wide open. I asked Felix were you in the fridge just now. He said something in his little child voice blaming some little old man who comes to visit. The tone of his voice and the quickness of his response made me laugh.

He will often stare at something until I ask him what is going on in his head. He is greatly intrigued by things like my iPad, but when I tell him the price, he is aghast. I think he still thinks of prices like they were in the 1940s and 1950s.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,093,911 times
The other day, when I was driving, my 83 year old aunt said: "You are driving too slow. Set that cruise to 70 and don't worry about it. There aren't any cops around."

I was in a 45 mile an hour zone. Yikes.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM

A few years back my wife and I were going up the road to the supermarket for the weekly trek for vittles. Out of the clear blue comes the little old lady from Pasadena buy us like a bat out of Hades. Well that was my mom. She beat us to the market and had a cart half filled by the time we got there and we were not sight seeing getting there. But she never drives fast. Well now she doesn't drive at all because her keys got lost. And now there is a wiring problem with her car and brother told her it is just not worth fixing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics