Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM

859 posts, read 3,619,806 times

Advertisements

so just wondering what you folks think of this...
seems like a standard practice for the local graphic design folks at news outlets to use 'shock' words with bold shiny letters covering the entire story image. ones or twice fine...but they use it on every topic using the same design. It's like they're just throwing the shock value in your face

you know, big bold shadowboxed words like "MURDER" "SEX" "ACCIDENT" "GRADES" "NEWS" "MONDAY"
I guess news4jax is the best example of this.
I just personally find it annoying to look at during news hours.

sorry if this topic offends anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,738,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
so just wondering what you folks think of this...
seems like a standard practice for the local graphic design folks at news outlets to use 'shock' words with bold shiny letters covering the entire story image. ones or twice fine...but they use it on every topic using the same design. It's like they're just throwing the shock value in your face

you know, big bold shadowboxed words like "MURDER" "SEX" "ACCIDENT" "GRADES" "NEWS" "MONDAY"
I guess news4jax is the best example of this.
I just personally find it annoying to look at during news hours.

sorry if this topic offends anyone.
Not just TV news but print media as well. "Shock" sells just like "negative" sells. I guess we are all masochists, we keep watching the news hour and buying newspapers. Seems like there is nothing positive going on here or anywhere else in the world. Or if there is a positive story anywhere they don't bother to cover it. Things can't be that bad! Can it?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
In 1998, we had a very bad wildfire season. It was called "Firestorm '98". You can imagine the graphics then .

They still use it freely today - whenever there's the slightest wildfire - it's worthy of a FIRESTORM graphic !

Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Not just TV news but print media as well. "Shock" sells just like "negative" sells. I guess we are all masochists, we keep watching the news hour and buying newspapers. Seems like there is nothing positive going on here or anywhere else in the world. Or if there is a positive story anywhere they don't bother to cover it. Things can't be that bad! Can it?
Let's hope after the election, a new regime will quash the current heavy-handed use of fear tactics. I really believe it starts at the top.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,590 times
I worked at a local news station for 3 years (not here in Jax) & they are just disgusting places to work. They ALL do that & its got nothing to do with local government. Everything is ratings & advertising driven at these places & real unbiased news usually takes a backseat. Its just the way it is & the big networks are no different. They all have agendas.

They have to create news, even when there is none. And they usually love to ham it up. I mean, could you imagine Dan Rather on one of the 24 hours news channels these days?? No way. He wouldn't last a minute with the opinionated clowns thats on there now.

The "news" is a big joke nowadays. I usually get it from other sources.

Last edited by KerryB; 11-08-2007 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,738,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I usually get my news from other sources.
I watch BBC News for international stuff as well as major happenings here in the US. They are less sensational and their news people don't color the news with their own personal opinions. Everybody knows that Fox has a blatant political agenda, no secret there. And CNN is so repetitive that they are nauseating. The problem with the networks is that they are driven by ratings. Like you said, the real news takes a backseat. To hell with the viewer!

We were watching the awful News4Jax tonight. Every story was crime-related. Every story was exaggerated. Even the weather people are melo-dramatic about the weather. I was hoping to hear something pleasant like about the art walk in Jax on Wednesday - not a word. There are so many positive things going on today in Jax.

I might as well join the rant!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Let's hope after the election, a new regime will quash the current heavy-handed use of fear tactics. I really believe it starts at the top.
So, what you're saying is- after the new election, you're hoping that whoever is elected starts dictating to the news media what they can and cannot do?

Seriously?
Or was that like fifth level sarcasm that I just didn't pick up on?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
So, what you're saying is- after the new election, you're hoping that whoever is elected starts dictating to the news media what they can and cannot do?

Seriously?
Or was that like fifth level sarcasm that I just didn't pick up on?
No, not dictating, but setting a better example.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,572 times
Meh.
Fear mongering is the dope peddled by all politicians- the media is simply the street-level pusher.
No matter who's in office, (D) or (R), they're going to do it. That relationship isn't going to end any time soon.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Meh.
Fear mongering is the dope peddled by all politicians- the media is simply the street-level pusher.
No matter who's in office, (D) or (R), they're going to do it. That relationship isn't going to end any time soon.
A girl can dream..........!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics