Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,951,959 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow will be 12 years since the horrible events that took place in New York City, Washington, DC and rural Pennsylvania. This is not an anniversary we celebrate, but commemorate, the loss of close to 3,000 innocent people in the attacks, and the wars against terrorism that have taken the lives of about 6,000 people in our military. I don't think those wars are going to end anytime soon, as long as we have individuals who follow man-made extreme/radical religious beliefs.

What do you remember about that morning when the attacks took place and what were you doing?

Did you know anyone who was one, or related to one of the 3,000 innocent people?

Let's hope the United State and the entire civilized world will never have to deal with such an atrocity, ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,419,818 times
I was at work when the manager called me into her office. She had the TV on. There was a replay of the first plane and we were speechless. Then the 2nd one hit and I remember saying "This is not accident. We are under attack."

OMG! What a tragic day. What a horrible day. I will never forget it.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM

37,840 posts, read 41,197,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

What do you remember about that morning when the attacks took place and what were you doing?

I'm originally from NY. I have been to the Pentagon twice and to the World Trade Center once.

I was at work in the Washington DC area. A friend from another office was in our building. One of the secretaries called me over to look at her computer to see a plane hitting the North Tower. Someone had their radio on and we listened as the second plane hit the South Tower. Then we heard that a plane had hit the Pentagon. One of the executives called us all over and dismissed us. He said the entire federal workforce in the Washington, DC area was being sent home. My friend could not get back to her office plus she carpooled with an FBI agent and the FBI agents were not dismissed so I drove her home. She called her husband from my car (he worked outside in the Baltimore area for a telephone company that shall remain nameless) and he didn't even know anything had happened. Some communication company, eh? We listened to the radio in the car. A different friend's brother who also worked for my government agency in NY worked at the World Trade Center but that week he was on business travel to Boston. In fact, everyone in his office except for 2 people were on business travel that day. I watched TV the rest of the day. I didn't know about Shanksville until I got home.

When the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993, I knew someone who was in the building and who had to walk down all of those stairs with the smoke. But, she didn't work in the building and she wasn't there in 2001.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,947,959 times
I walked by a student information monitor right after the first plane hit and then stood and watched the second plane crash into tower #2. When the new came that a plane had hit the Pentagon I got real sick inside as I knew my son was in and out of the building often while he was stationed at Andrews AFB. I just left work and went home. A short time later we got a call from him. He had left the building about 10 hours earlier. Even if he had been in his work area he would have not been harmed as he was on the opposite side of the building. What upsets me the most now is the idiots claiming it was a military plane that hit the Pentagon. I have a family eye witness to the damage as he reported to the Pentagon for the next 6 months for 12 hour shifts.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM

44,733 posts, read 61,990,079 times
What do you remember about that morning when the attacks took place and what were you doing? We were just starting out on a cruise ship heading to the Panama Canal. We spent the day in the cabin watching the all the turmoil and praying for the victims. The rest of the cruise/trip was a very solemn one.
Did you know anyone who was one, or related to one of the 3,000 innocent people? No.

Let's hope the United State and the entire civilized world will never have to deal with such an atrocity, ever again. Let's hope not, but realistically and sadly to say it will probably happen again with the way the world is today.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,994,007 times

I had just started 5th grade and getting ready for school and I remember my mom telling me that a plane had hit a tower in NYC. As a 10 year old I couldn't completely wrap my head around what was going on but by the end of the day and watching live coverage of the events at school the entire day I knew America was under attack.

Did you know anyone who was one, or related to one of the 3,000 innocent people? No but may be the good Lord continue to comfort them and strengthen their hearts. Losing a love one especially to something as tragic as the 9/11 events can't be an easy pill to swallow for anyone.

Let's hope the United State and the entire civilized world will never have to deal with such an atrocity, ever again.

As much as I don't EVER want to see something as tragic as 9/11 happen again we have to keep in mind that everything that is happening (has happened) in this world is leading closer and closer to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Matthew 24 is a very interesting text where Jesus himself is talking about the last days and how this world is going to be. Nations shall rise against nations and we will hear of wars and rumors of wars (that's no secret I mean look at the mess we're about to get into in Syria), and the list goes on and on. People better wake up and see what time it is....

-->Apostolic Pentecostal believer in one God who's name is JESUS

Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,124,366 times
If i recall I'd been ill and was awaken with the news of the first strike. Turned the t.v. on in time to see the second and knowing full well what that meant. Truly a sad day for mankind.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,212,671 times
I was painting the doors to a veranda on the home of Lord Black of Crossharbour and his wife, the Baroness, Barbara Amiel.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,660,036 times
I was in a class at our district office and our instructor had a news service on his home page. When he told us the first one had hit, we all though it was some wild accident. When he told us about the second, class was suspended and we all watched the TV.
My wife was working at Ft. Campbell Army base (Ky.) as a civilian employee. She called me and said the base was on lock down and she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to go home. By quitting time for her she could leave but for a long time after that, it was harder to get on. Checked IDs, ran the mirrors under the cars, and a random search of the car.
She has a distant cousin from Arizona whose husband was killed in the Pentagon. Wife hadn't talked to, or seen her for years but kept in touch with her mother often.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 AM

21,693 posts, read 8,832,858 times
I was up late the night before watching the 1957 movie An Affair to Remember. In that film, there's a scene where Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr are standing on the deck of a cruise ship steaming into New York Harbor. They make an agreement to meet in six months at the top of the Empire Building, which was then the tallest building in New York. I remember thinking to myself, "It still would be if it weren't for the World Trade Center," and that made me feel sad.

The next day my husband woke me up. The news on the clock radio at our bedside was saying that there had been four plane crashes, and that both buildings of the World Trade Center were down. Numb with shock, I leaped out of bed, turned on the TV and saw video replays of the awful events. I remember feeling guilty, as if my wishing that the Empire State Building were still the tallest building in New York had somehow made it happen.

When it became clear that Islamic terrorists were behind the attacks, I suddenly understood how my parents' generation must have felt after Pearl Harbor. I was overcome with patriotic fervor and wished that there was something I could do to avenge these attacks. For the first time in my life, I knew, really knew on a deep, visceral level, why people are willing to die for their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics