Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM

76 posts, read 89,732 times

Advertisements

I was 5 when my elder brother, who was 13 at the time, decided to tell me how babies showed up. He gave me a very detailed explanation and I was apalled.

I couldn't believe it and I remember I didn't want my mother to give me kisses for a week because I thought it was so disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
I think I read it in the book my mum got me that explained puberty and babies and all that. Either that or I learnt it in school first.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 AM

76 posts, read 89,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I think I read it in the book my mum got me that explained puberty and babies and all that. Either that or I learnt it in school first.
I had friend who found out by walking in on their parents having sex.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
An older girl named Geraldine who lived around the block from me, voluntarily furnished me with the information, and when she finished her brief sex education lesson, she asked me for a quarter. It was worth every penny.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,420 times
I was 4 years old. I told my mom I wanted her to tell me about "it". I remember using that word, "it", and saying it like "you know exactly what I mean". I was surrounded by sexual imagery and messages, so I knew there was something I needed explained to me. I had no idea that this 'sex' thing that was all around me had anything to do with how babies were made. I wasn't asking the question "where do babies come from" I was specifically asking about sex.

My mom handled it perfectly. She had a special conversation with me about the sperm and egg and how the sperm gets to the egg (what had to go where in order for that to happen). She got a book that was for teaching children about sex from a scientific perspective. I asked all kinds of outrageous questions and my mom handled every one of them so amazingly well. The one I remember the most is I asked her what if the penis went in a certain other hole and released the sperm in there, could it still make a baby. She was just like "nope, that wouldn't work because that isn't connected to where the eggs are." If she was shocked by any of my questions she certainly didn't let it show.

I do remember initially being a little bit disturbed at finding out exactly what intercourse was. It struck me as potentially dangerous or painful or disgusting. But at the same time I felt better after having the conversation with my mom, and it set a precedent that I could always go to her with questions.

I'm very thankful that throughout my upbringing my mom presented a healthy, realistic version of sex and sexuality. It was the only counter message I received to contradict the twisted and harmful messages from the culture.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
When I was a kid we got our milk from a nearby dairy farm. You learn all sorts of things when you're around cows.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When I was a kid we got our milk from a nearby dairy farm. You learn all sorts of things when you're around cows.
Same here. We had/bred all sorts of animals basically my entire life. I always knew where babies come from. Not that I understood all the details. I remember my mother telling me babies got food, and air while developing from belly buttons. At around 4 I thought that means the mother's belly button, like some sort of snorkel. Not exactly.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Same here. We had/bred all sorts of animals basically my entire life. I always knew where babies come from. Not that I understood all the details. I remember my mother telling me babies got food, and air while developing from belly buttons. [B] At around 4 I thought that means the mother's belly button, like some sort of snorkel. [/b] Not exactly.
That is funny!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
My son is 7 and he still don't know....I think. He asked me how my baby ended up in my stomach and I didn't know what to say. How do I explain it to him? Any advice

Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
I know this sounds pathetic, but...I didn't know all the "details" until 9th grade health class. It was just something my mother would NOT talk about to me. She wouldn't even telll me about menstruation - I had to learn about it in school and when it happened I was unprepared and scared to death. I knew about the egg, sperm, fallopian tubes, etc., but not what you had to actually DO to get that egg and sperm together. I was so grossed out about male anatomy, the description of foreplay, sex, etc, and what you had to go through to make a baby that at 14 I vowed I'd NEVER do it. (I held that promise until years later when I met DH, LOL).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-09-2013 at 03:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics