Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

If Today's Questions have any funky symptoms they're consulting a doctor!

Today's Questions:

All those lists of side effects!

All the over-cheerful, phoney videos of people walking around parks, beaches or mountain trails!

Are you as sick of pharmaceutical company commercials as I am?

What (other) types of commercials annoy you?

Bonus Question:
When you travel do you usually unpack or do you live out of your luggage?

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

Good or bad, if you've had any memorable foods while on vacation or traveling on business, what were they?

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try? What foods and where?

In an episode of "I Love Lucy" the Ricardos and Mertzes go to a French restaurant and ask for four orders of "Closed on Sunday."

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language? Which language(s) and where?

Just for fun:
If you have ever witnessed any notable table manners, please describe them.

Today in History:
1633 Galileo Galilei on trial in Rome for stating the earth revolves around the sun, instead of vice versa
1668 Spain recognized Portugal as an independent nation
1689 William and Mary proclaimed co-rulers of England
1867 Work began burying Brussels's primary river, Senne, creating current modern boulevards
1914 American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers established in NYC to protect musical copyrights
1933 House of Commons defeated a bill that would have prohibited the sale of alcohol in the U.K.
1967 A previously unknown book by Leonardo da Vinci discovered in the National Library of Spain
2000 Last original 'Peanuts' comic strip published

Today's Quote:
"Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate."
~ William Arthur Ward, author and educator

Today’s Word:
braw [braw, brah] adjective
Scotland and northern England
fine or fine-looking; excellent

Today Is:
Lupercalia, 1st day of early Roman holiday to prepare for spring
Tortellini Day
World Radio Day

This Week Is:
Backyard Bird Count Week, 14-21
International Friendship Week, 10-14
Random Acts of Kindness Week, 9-15

Today's Picture:
Farm family listening to radio, taken 1926.

(US government, Dept. of Agriculture photo in the public domain.)

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Last edited by bjh; 02-12-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Today's Questions:

All the over-cheerful, phoney videos of people walking around parks, beaches or mountain trails!

Not really. I just don't watch/listen to them

ALL of them!!
Most "As seeing on TV" products are of very low quality, or the price is a rip-off, or both...

Bonus Question:
Depends on many factors, and on the length of my stay, but stuff that needs to be on a hangers go there to un-wrinkle Other, except for shoes stay in a luggage. Cosmetics go to bathroom, but I keep them in my travel bag.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.
I always travel with a set(s) of silverware, salt/pepper/sugar and bagged tea. I have collapsible cup/plate set and a water heater too, because I like to shop for, and eat breakfast in my room.

Good or bad, if you've had any memorable foods while on vacation or traveling on business, what were they?
While traveling here in the US, I had some awesome food in San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas and NY. But there was also some memorable dishes in smaller towns and mom&pops places.
When I travel overseas I have few places that I always visit - in fact I am looking forward with great anticipation

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try?
Not sure I would travel just to eat, but I will make a day trip to eat AND engage in sightseeing. So, 100-150 miles o/w isn't a problem, and I have done that many times.

What foods and where?
Like I said, not just for the food, but I will try to combine the most interesting place to eat with the things I could see in that place/town. Or I will just drive out to take some pix and eat in a local famous place.

In an episode of "I Love Lucy" the Ricardos and Mertzes go to a French restaurant and ask for four orders of "Closed on Sunday."

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language?
Yes, many times. In a case I don't understand a word on the menu, I would use dictionary/translator, ask for someone who speaks a language I know, or just point on food other people are eating. No, I would not starve...
Normally one can pretty much guess stuff on the menu, and I am not afraid to order food I never ate before. That's the adventurous part of visiting other countries, or small ethnic restaurants where no one speaks English ( plenty of those here, in San Antonio and Houston too)

Which language(s) and where?
I had Arabic food in Middle East, I ate in restaurants in Turkey, Norway, Island, Greece, France, Italy etc., and I don't speak those languages.

Just for fun:
Have you ever witnessed any notable table manners?
Yes. Here in the USA, but I will not comment on that

Today in History:
1633 Galileo Galilei on trial in Rome for stating the earth revolves around the sun, instead of vice versa
1867 Work began burying Brussels's primary river, Senne, creating current modern boulevards
1914 American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers established in NYC to protect musical copyrights
1933 House of Commons defeated a bill that would have prohibited the sale of alcohol in the U.K.
1967 A previously unknown book by Leonardo da Vinci discovered in the National Library of Spain

Today's Quote:
"Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate." I am afraid those people are dead already...

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Tortellini Day
World Radio Day

This Week Is:
Backyard Bird Count Week, 14-21 That would occupy me 24/7

Today's Picture:
I remember those days and the family quality time spent together!

Happy Thursday and thank you for the questions, bjh!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-12-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Default Today's Questions: Thursday, 13 February 2014

Today's Questions:

The newest gimmick. Throw out a never ending list of every conceivable side effect for a drug. Blind the consumer and guinea pig patient with this baloney to hide in plain sight it's problems.

All of them!

Bonus Question:

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try?
Maybe a few miles.
What foods and where?

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language?
That's rare here but much of the help no habla...

Just for fun:
Have you ever witnessed any notable table manners?

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
"Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate."

Heavy!
Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Tortellini Day
World Radio Day

This Week Is:

Today's Picture:
Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-12-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Today's Questions:

Are you as sick of pharmaceutical company commercials as I am? YES!!!! They make it sound like trying to be healthy will kill you!

What (other) types of commercials annoy you? Those stupid Geigo commercials. Wish somebody would run over that gecko!

Bonus Question:
When you travel do you usually unpack or do you live out of your luggage? Out of the luggage. Easier that way

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try? There's a restaurant 65 miles from here that is famous for throwing the rolls to you and some GREAT food! http://www.throwedrolls.com/

What foods and where? Oops! See above. lol

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language? Nope

Just for fun:
Have you ever witnessed any notable table manners? More lack OF manners. lol

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Today's Questions:

Are you as sick of pharmaceutical company commercials as I am? You bet!

What (other) types of commercials annoy you? Just about all of them are annoying. Those Progressive Insurance commercials with Flo are getting more and more lame all the time.

Bonus Question:
When you travel do you usually unpack or do you live out of your luggage? Live out of my luggage. It's easier that way. Traveling light always helps.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

Good or bad, if you've had any memorable foods while on vacation or traveling on business, what were they? In the early 90s, I took an extended weekend trip to Northern California. We stopped and ate dinner at a Thai restaurant in Monterey and they had the best Thai BBQ chicken I ever had. Haven't had any that came even close since then.

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try? What foods and where? No more than a 30-minute drive for any kind of food.

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language? Yes.

Which language(s) and where? There are a few Asian restaurants nearby that have menus printed in Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese but they always have the English translation underneath or on the following pages.

Just for fun:
If you have ever witnessed any notable table manners, please describe them. Just some bad table manners. Enough said!

Have an enjoyable Thursday the 13th!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Today's Questions:

We don't have them here - must be a law against it. We get a few generic ads for over-the-counter type medications, where they basically say they are better than, or work faster than, the competition. And they don't have that 'side effects' spiel at the end of them. I think they have (in very small fine print at the bottom of the screen) something about seeing your doctor if symptoms persist. They are actually among the least annoying ads we have!
I very rarely simply sit and watch TV - usually doing something else as well, like reading, cooking, folding laundry or on the computer. So I just turn my attention away from the TV and on to whatever else I'm doing. I hear TV more than see it! If I sit and watch TV without doing something else at the same time I just fall asleep!
Bonus Question:
I'll unpack if I'll be there three or more days. Less than that (which it often is), I'll live out of the suitcase. I travel very light, so it's not hard.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

Too many to name here - eating new/different food is one of the best aspects of travelling!

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try? What foods and where?
It depends where I am and if I have access to a car. There's not much I can think of that I want to try (that I haven't already tried), but for something I love I'd travel an hour or so by car if I was in a country I didn't expect to be in again for a long time. I'd especially travel for some Maine lobster!!

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language? Which language(s) and where?
Many times, many languages - all over Europe and Asia. Russia, China and Japan were the hardest since their alphabet is different so you can't use logic or common-sense to work out what the food is. The wait staff will help if they speak English, otherwise you just take a stab in the dark and hope for the best. It's part of the fun!

Just for fun:
Americans actually have the most "different" table manners of the western countries I have been to. It's the stabbing of the food with a fork, then the cutting up of lots of mouthfuls that makes it different. And the fact that relatively few Americans seem to use chopsticks when eating Asian food.

Thanks bjh.

Happy Thursday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 02-12-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Questions:

All those lists of side effects! Lawyer liability lingo to protect the mfg. the madness.

All the over-cheerful, phoney videos of people walking around parks, beaches or mountain trails! Blah!

Are you as sick of pharmaceutical company commercials as I am? I don't pay any attention to them.

What (other) types of commercials annoy you? Most are annoying, but Progressive and Geico are at the top of the list with Cox Cable right behind...

Bonus Question:
When you travel do you usually unpack or do you live out of your luggage? Depends, if it's more than a one day stay unpack, less than one day out of the luggage.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

Good or bad, if you've had any memorable foods while on vacation or traveling on business, what were they? Great food in Australia and New Zealand. Steaks are out of this world.

What's the farthest you would travel or have traveled for foods you love or want to try? 25/50 miles.

What foods and where? Steaks, chops, ribs, Mexican food, Chinese. All around our area.

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a menu in a foreign language? Yes.
Which language(s) and where? Languages, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mexican. Where, when we visited all those countries.

Just for fun:
If you have ever witnessed any notable table manners, please describe them. Belching, passing gas, pickin' noses, pickin' at food with fingers, swearing, to name a few.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Today's Questions:

Yes!
Erectile dysfunction commercials that try to show how rugged and macho it is to have ED (guys in pickup trucks baling hay, guys riding motorcycles, etc.). Also, the one that shows the man and the woman in separate bathtubs. Huh?

The Geico gecko with the fake Australian accent needs to go away right now. Get over yourself, ya little green twerp, you're annoying! And take the whee-whee piggy with you.

The soup commercial where the model-thin young women show off their figures at a party while they gush to each other about their "diets": "I'm on the Chicken Pot Pie Diet!" "Me, too!" Puh-leeze!

The soup commercial where the woman uses a tin can with a string to "call" the Progresso chef in the kitchen. Takes stupidity to a higher level.

The Hurry Cane commercial. As if a cane that stands up by itself is the most exciting thing that ever happened to you.

The Charmin commercials. We need to ask bears for advice on what toilet paper to buy? Riiiiight!

Bonus Question:
For an overnight trip, I won't bother to unpack except for toiletries and cosmetic items. Longer than one night, I'll unpack.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

My first husband and Ihad a country style fried chicken dinner with all the trimmings at a restaurant in Grants Pass, Oregon that was just exceptional. When we went back on a subsequent trip, the restaurant had disappeared.
I occasionally drive to Berkeley to have lunch at Bette's Oceanview Diner. I love their corned beef hash with eggs and the retro 1950s decor.

I've ordered from menus in Dutch (Amsterdam) and French (France; Switzerland).

Just for fun:
I've been to Middle Eastern restaurants where you sit on the floor and eat with your hands (right hand only as the left hand is considered unclean. This was a challenge for me as a lefty! I had to sit on my left hand to keep from using it.)

Thanks, bjh!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-13-2014 at 01:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:

They're enough to kill ya, I tell ya!

At least better than the lists of side effects!

Some are informative... but none would make me want to run to the doctor for a prescription.

The little girl that pours Cheerios on her dad's heart... please!
Bonus Question:
When you travel do you usually unpack or do you live out of your luggage? Depends on the length of my stay... a few days, no... a week or more, yes.

Foodie Questions:
Have fork. Will travel.

I'm sure the Oregon coast must have some really good food, somewhere, we just never found any.

never just for food

Near Mexico City when working there, most all menus were in Spanish, I do not know Spanish... so it was either find a restaurant that had an English menu (two did that were close to the hotel), or point at pictures or items (actually did this a number of times) or go w/someone that could read it, interpret it to me then order for me!

Just for fun:
If you have ever witnessed any notable table manners, please describe them. The usual, elbows off the table, using the right silverware for the course served, little pinkie extended when drinking from a glass, napkin laid beside the plate when finished instead of on the plate, chewing w/mouth closed, not blowing nose or farting at the table

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today’s Word: Hmm, seems like that could get confusing!

Today Is:
Tortellini Day
World Radio Day

This Week Is:

Today's Picture:

Thanks, bjh, Happy Thursday to All!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Pharmaceutical ads are banned in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics