Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe smokers are ashamed of or dislike their addiction?
Yes 17 34.00%
No 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Perhaps ashamed wasn't the best choice of words, but I'll keep it in there, because I see that some people actually were. Interesting responses so far though. I believe smoking is down in numbers today compared to just about any time in the past, I wonder what's driving down the numbers today?

too too bad the numbers aren't going down for people who use alcohol-period. And for those who drink and drive and text and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Perhaps ashamed wasn't the best choice of words, but I'll keep it in there, because I see that some people actually were. Interesting responses so far though. I believe smoking is down in numbers today compared to just about any time in the past, I wonder what's driving down the numbers today?
Vaping! And everyone using an ecig is laughing all the way to the bank! Cities, States and Feds don't like this so some are looking at taxing VAPOR because of the lost revenue.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 AM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
Shamed, possibly. I have never met a happy smoker. Most of them wish they never started it and haven't been successful in quitting. But I'm sure this doesn't apply to all smokers. I'm sure there are some that truly believe it is a great stress reliever and they don't care of the health consequences, financial burden it is, etc. At least, not yet. I imagine it's the same for drinkers; they drink for similar reasons, it's a financial burden, they might try to hide it, and they can't quit.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
I find dipping to be a supplement for smoking in the more rural areas of the nation.
Most younger men I know that dip think its makes them more masculine (kinda like driving jacked up trucks). Maybe it's a Southern thing, I don't know, but it's pathetic.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Nicotine is a hard drug, on par with Heroin and other opiates. I've smoked for over 20 years now. Today i smoke about 30 per day. I never hide it from anyone. If a girlfriend doesn't like my habit she can take a hike. Probably i will smoke til the day i die. I'm not ashamed. But not proud either.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-23-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Nicotine is a hard drug, on par with Heroin and other opiates.
I don't see how nicotine and opiates could possibly put in the same category when you compare a smoker that hasn't had a cigarette for two days and going through withdraw versus a heroin addict that hasn't had a fix for two days going through withdraw. The smoker will be irritable and restless while the junkie is puking, having flu-like symptoms x100, while thinking he/she is losing their mind.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
The smoker will be irritable and restless while the junkie is puking, having flu-like symptoms x100, while thinking he/she is losing their mind.
I don't know very many heroin addicts, but I know several smokers that go through SERIOUS withdrawals when they don't have cigarettes. I don't know if the chemical effect is the same for them, internally, but the physical manifestations I've witnessed seem very much alike.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
I don't see how nicotine and opiates could possibly put in the same category when you compare a smoker that hasn't had a cigarette for two days and going through withdraw versus a heroin addict that hasn't had a fix for two days going through withdraw. The smoker will be irritable and restless while the junkie is puking, having flu-like symptoms x100, while thinking he/she is losing their mind.
Well, i was without nicotine for a couple of days. Never again. I'd rather die. That's how strong the withdrawal symptoms were.

Alcohol is also a hard drug on par with Heroin.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I don't know very many heroin addicts, but I know several smokers that go through SERIOUS withdrawals when they don't have cigarettes.
Of course they do, but I'm not going to compare it to opiate withdraw. I do know an opiate addict and his story is on no way similar to a nicotine user.

I never knew someone that smoked have it take over their life where it became the only thing they cared about, or neglected their kids because of their nicotine addiction, stole things for cigarette money, lose their home, savings, their marriage, completely transform who they are as a person, etc. All of that is true for junkies.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Of course they do, but I'm not going to compare it to opiate withdraw. I do know an opiate addict and his story is on no way similar to a nicotine user.

I never knew someone that smoked have it take over their life where it became the only thing they cared about, or neglected their kids because of their nicotine addiction, stole things for cigarette money, lose their home, savings, their marriage, completely transform who they are as a person, etc. All of that is true for junkies.
Well, I won't argue with you on it. I know MANY people that have done all that for alcohol. It's not quite the same level of addiction for nicotine but I know a handful of nicotine addicts that have harmed family members because they went into rages when having withdrawals. Maybe that's not "as bad" as a heroin or alcohol addiction, but it's certainly harmful to the recipients of those beatings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics