Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe smokers are ashamed of or dislike their addiction?
Yes 17 34.00%
No 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Straight forward question, do you think that smokers are ashamed of or dislike that they are addicted to such an unhealthy habit? I know plenty of military guys who are smokers, but do so in secret to hide it from their wives. Some women will hide their smoking habit if they are going out on a date with a guy. Smoking in today's age doesn't seem like a particularly classy or cool thing to do anymore. Instead, it seems to disproportionately afflict the poor or working class people, or the chronically bored. I find dipping to be a supplement for smoking in the more rural areas of the nation. Anyway, open to discussion, share your opinion and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
When I was a smoker, I was ashamed. It was a sign of weakness that I couldn't kick the habit.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
Maybe some peer-pressure, bullying, intolerance - but not ashamed.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Maybe now with all the pressure of not being allowed to smoke in public places it may have shamed some.. but I see people outside offices shivering in the cold and rain huddled together like homeless down and outs to grab a smoke. that I would find shameful.. but dont think they can...Ive always hated the habit and thankfully never started, I watched my own mother chain smoke for years... it made me sick to think of her heallth, others around her suffering and the money she was going through when she was scraping a living as an early morning cleaner to keep her habit going... I dont even think she realized this at the time.. To me though it would be shameful to see my kids go hungry for my habit.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 AM

256 posts, read 342,947 times
Shame? Well, i've had people attempt to "shame me" but I have never been shamed. The habit isn't for everyone, but there isn't anything keeping me from mine. Theres a difference between smokers who are truly addicted and those who just like to smoke... and yes, there is a difference (more a personality difference). But lots of people have lots of addictions they are shamed of, and loads of people have addictions that they flaunt with pride. To each their own, but I'm guessing its more the western world shaming smokers than anywhere else.

And now I want a cigarette!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I have never been ashamed of smoking, have never hidden the fact that I smoke and never will hide the fact that I smoke.
Unlike those who do illegal drugs have to hide their addiction or gamblers who are addicted. My smoking has not caused me to lose my home, family, friends or go into deep debt to keep up and my smoking is legal. When and if I decide to quit for good I will do so because I choose to do so not because so do gooder yutz is shoving their own better than me agenda in my face.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Straight forward question, do you think that smokers are ashamed of or dislike that they are addicted to such an unhealthy habit? I know plenty of military guys who are smokers, but do so in secret to hide it from their wives. Some women will hide their smoking habit if they are going out on a date with a guy. Smoking in today's age doesn't seem like a particularly classy or cool thing to do anymore. Instead, it seems to disproportionately afflict the poor or working class people, or the chronically bored. I find dipping to be a supplement for smoking in the more rural areas of the nation. Anyway, open to discussion, share your opinion and vote.
When I smoked it was around 1985, and in those days there was a different mentality about it. A lot more people smoked in those days. I knew it was bad health-wise, and I smoked heavy for 5 years (5 pks. a day) When I quit I did it cold turkey. I did not like the smell at all, it permeated everything. It was in my cloths, my car, my apartment, pretty disgusting really. I am so glad I finally quit.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Yes, I sense shame.

When I was delivering freight to warehouses I would often see a group of warehouse workers huddled outside smoking on their break. They looked so cold and isolated. And they all had a "hard" look about them.

They looked anything but happy.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
It became unpleasant to smoke. You had to sneak around so the boss didn't see you, you had to stand outside the building, where everyone could comment on your horrible habit. It was to the point that you'd skip having a cigarette and eat something instead. Whatever psychological and anti cigarette warfare game they played, it worked but I'm not unhappy over quitting. I could never afford the 7-8-9 dollars a pack they cost here anyway.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:23 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
5 packs a day? brokencrayola? are you serious? I thought my two pack a day habit was bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics