Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe smokers are ashamed of or dislike their addiction?
Yes 17 34.00%
No 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times

Advertisements

I probably don't know enough smokers to have a fair sampling for determination. All the smokers I know are not ashamed of their habit and generally don't care how it impacts those around them.

Many years ago, a family member had a heart attack and told the doctors that she does not smoke (a blantant lie). She even dared to put her hand on the Bible and swear she would stop if she recovered from the heart attack. I was the one that picked her up upon discharge and was forced to give her a cigarette before we left the hospital parking lot. So much for that promise. She smokes about 4-5 packs a day and there are no signs of it slowing down. She will disregard people's rules about smoking in their house or vehicle. I don't know if she realizes (or cares) that it absorbs into cloth and is very hard to remove. I've had to get rid of gifts because of the odor. This is part of the reason I've stopped using Ebay.

Fortunately, other smokers I know are not as brazen about their smoking. The rest at least step outside or refrain from smoking around non-smokers in the area. I never make a huge deal about it, but I have asthma and cigarette smoke is one of the irritants that can cause an attack. I just politely remove myself from the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
5 packs a day? brokencrayola? are you serious? I thought my two pack a day habit was bad...
My habit was 3 packs. I don't believe I would have had time to smoke 2 more packs.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 AM

10 posts, read 15,852 times
.....ALL smokers are ADDICTS......who actually wants to put money into other peoples pockets, while making yourself ill, shortening your life, smelling bad, putting off potential partner people of the opposite sex in the love stakes, making your clothes smell bad, your house and car stink, your breath rank, your teeth brown, your fingers nico-stained, making potential employers side-step you,....your taste buds dulled, ................!!!!????

Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreteavicar? View Post
.....ALL smokers are ADDICTS......who actually wants to put money into other peoples pockets, while making yourself ill, shortening your life, smelling bad, putting off potential partner people of the opposite sex in the love stakes, making your clothes smell bad, your house and car stink, your breath rank, your teeth brown, your fingers nico-stained, making potential employers side-step you,....your taste buds dulled, ................!!!!????
Nobody starts smoking (or drinking or any bad habit) with that mindset. Of course it would be easy to stop if they could fast-forward to all the negative stuff.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreteavicar? View Post
Yes, they are addicts! You are absolutely correct. When I started smoking at the age of 13, it wasn't known what ingredients were in cigarettes; we just accepted that it was safe even though our lungs told us otherwise. Cough, cough! I live with a smoker. Well, ex-smoker as of yesterday! Wish him luck, please, this is not going to be easy for him but I can already see after one day that there is a very slight improvement in his breathing. He probably doesn't realize it yet though.

I smoked for 35+ years, at the end 2ppd. When they added FSC to cigarettes I started looking for a safer alternative. First, it was roll your own tobacco but the whole time I was researching ecigs. See, I never intended to quit but the first day with my ecig was the last day I smoked a cigarette. I've been vaping now for over 3 years. I've read accounts of former smokers who had suffered with COPD that are now using ecigs and no longer dependent on inhalers and who are seeing improved results in their breathing tests. One man told me his breathing was so much improved that his doctor released him from yearly testing.

OP, not all smokers are ashamed of the habit. They just want another fix and won't consider that they are harming those they live with. Nicotine, like caffeine, is a stimulant, yet the delivery method for nicotine can be deadly and for my entire life we've accepted that delivery method. That is no longer the case for millions of people who have given up cigarettes for an ecig. If you want to quit smoking and find you can't, maybe it's time for you to try an ecig too!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I quit about 5 years ago (after 23yrs) and I was never ashamed of smoking. I swore as long as I lived,even if I couldn't stand the smell anymore after I quit, I would never harp on anyone for smoking. What they want to do with their life is their choice, and as long as it's legal it doesn't bother me.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 AM

189 posts, read 326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
It became unpleasant to smoke. You had to sneak around so the boss didn't see you, you had to stand outside the building, where everyone could comment on your horrible habit. It was to the point that you'd skip having a cigarette and eat something instead. Whatever psychological and anti cigarette warfare game they played, it worked but I'm not unhappy over quitting. I could never afford the 7-8-9 dollars a pack they cost here anyway.

Same for me. Smoking became such a chore and cost that it wasn't worth it anymore. I felt crappy all the time, felt like I was sneaking and lying because I couldn't smoke at work. I'm a teacher and I wouldn't dare smoke while out around town because I was scared my students would see me.

It's been 8 years though and I still miss it sometimes.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Ashamed? No.

Bothered? Yes.

I was a very heavy smoker until I took up vaping. I loved smoking but hated the costs, both financial and physical. But I loved that nicotine.

And still do. Now I vape around 28% nic and save tons of money.

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about smoking. People driving drunk or whilst texting are far more dangerous than any second hand smoke that dissipates into the air ever could be.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Perhaps ashamed wasn't the best choice of words, but I'll keep it in there, because I see that some people actually were. Interesting responses so far though. I believe smoking is down in numbers today compared to just about any time in the past, I wonder what's driving down the numbers today?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Easy answer: Cost.

When 0bama signed SCHIP and tax on cigs skyrocketed, the ecig market exploded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics