Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,131 times

Advertisements

I have never refused but I have been called in the past and when questioned been dismissed due to my personal feelings about drunk drivers. I have served a year on our county grand jury in addition to being called and served on Federal jury duty, our local magistrates jury and our county jury. I have served on criminal and civil trials.

Our state no longer uses voter registration to pull juries. We now choose jurors from the state's drivers license records.

I was disillusioned long ago when I served on a jury and found, the jury of one's peers not to be very dependable. First criminal case I served on, one lady was missing her soap operas, another lady was so concerned with getting supper cooked for her husband, a man was worried about his work piling up at the office. I was really excited about justice and the great American way to only find out people can sit through a trial and then let others on the jury influence them in their verdict decision making. I am stubborn and if I feel they are guilt or not guilty I don't give in, I sit through the trial, listen and take notes as each juror should do and then I will listen to other jurors when deliberating but I will not give in just to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
No, there is no law saying I MUST sit. But, yes, technically, you're right -- the court(s) refused me. Wise of them, wasn't it? And I haven't been registered to vote the past few years (I've been registered in the past -- but I haven't voted in the past 35 years -- maybe not consistent enough for you? LOL), but I was registered in the past -- and, yes, for the first few times I had to jump through the hoops. Then the court simply quit calling me -- I think they knew it was a waste of everyone's time.

And I don't know where you live but where I used to live -- no one ever 'sat around for a couple of days' anymore -- unless it's a BIG case and projected to be a long one. However, one does have to check in, by phone, 2-3 times a day. In my home state and in the state I retired to.

Am I cynical? You bet. And if you're not -- you live in La La Land. Have you actually lived in The US the past 40 years? You think our vote really counts -- on anything? LOLOLOLOL
They quit calling you because you haven't voted in 35 years. You are no longer on an active voting list.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,037,319 times
Quote:
I'm not sure this belongs here, but I can't see another place it would go.

Have any of you refused to sit as a juror on a criminal case because you couldn't so because you didn't agree with the state or federal justice system?

I have refused to sit for a criminal case so often in the past 20 years, I no longer get called.

To me, there is a different 'justice' system if you're white or non-white, rich or poor. And I was a court clerk for almost 30 years, so I got a chance to see the criminal justice system 'up close and personal'. And I have never been able to, in good conscience, sit for a criminal case.
Thats OK, there are plenty of racists in America who are happy to have their opinions heard rather than yours. Your sitting out helps them convict more black people, to them you are a rockstar!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,525,120 times
Quote:

Have any of you refused to sit as a juror on a criminal case because you couldn't so because you didn't agree with the state or federal justice system?

I have refused to sit for a criminal case so often in the past 20 years, I no longer get called.

To me, there is a different 'justice' system if you're white or non-white, rich or poor. And I was a court clerk for almost 30 years, so I got a chance to see the criminal justice system 'up close and personal'. And I have never been able to, in good conscience, sit for a criminal case.
Quote:
No, there is no law saying I MUST sit. But, yes, technically, you're right -- the court(s) refused me. Wise of them, wasn't it? And I haven't been registered to vote the past few years (I've been registered in the past -- but I haven't voted in the past 35 years -- maybe not consistent enough for you? LOL), but I was registered in the past -- and, yes, for the first few times I had to jump through the hoops. Then the court simply quit calling me -- I think they knew it was a waste of everyone's time.

And I don't know where you live but where I used to live -- no one ever 'sat around for a couple of days' anymore -- unless it's a BIG case and projected to be a long one. However, one does have to check in, by phone, 2-3 times a day. In my home state and in the state I retired to.

Am I cynical? You bet. And if you're not -- you live in La La Land. Have you actually lived in The US the past 40 years? You think our vote really counts -- on anything? LOLOLOLOL
I know some public defenders who would tell you that you are part of the problem. Honestly, do you think the justice system will get better if people who doubt its fairness refuse to sit on juries? smh . . .

Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You realize also you can also simply not register to vote (I think most states get their jury selections from voter registration records), and that seems to match your cynical viewpoint on the court system if you truly wanted to be consistent.
Using your method kind of defeats the point - since you still have to show up at the courts to see if you are selected for a trial and waste a couple days in the courthouse anyways, right?

Otherwise, you don't "refuse" to sit, that's misstated. The courts have simply deemed you not elegible to sit for a juror based on the reasons you gave. They refused you.
Here they use voter registration, utility records, and DMV as well. They will get you one way or another.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,620,020 times
I think jury service is an important part of our civic duty. I have sat on one jury in my adult years, took it seriously and enjoyed the experience.

My opinion is that anyone who tries to get excused from jury service should not be eligible for a jury trial for themselves in the future. Seems fair to me. If they do not think it is worth their time to serve on a jury, than any legal procedure they ever might become involved in should be required to be bypass a jury trial and be decided by a judge.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:16 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,009,482 times
The last time I was called for jury duty I was in Europe at the time. I called the jury clerks office to request to be excused. I was told only the judge could excuse me and I had to show up in person on the day of the trial to get excused. The clerk went onto say if I failed to show up a warrant for my arrest would be issued. So my company flew me home where I sat for the entire week without my group getting called and then flew back to Europe. I lost $2,000 in wages and my company spent almost $4,000 flying me home and back.

Turns out Alaska fills their jury pools from people that apply for the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend. If you fail to show up for jury duty not only might they issue an arrest warrant but they also report you the the Alaska Permanent Dividend for fraud investigation to see if you really meet the residency requirements.

For me it was cheaper and way less of a headache to simply quit applying for the dividend.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 AM

22,486 posts, read 12,029,286 times
I have a medical condition that prevents me for sitting hours on end especially without proper back and neck support. Where I live, I have received several jury duty questionnaires. The first couple of times I got one I checked the block that stated I was the main caregiver for my minor child, which was true. I figured that was the end of that but they sent me a summons. That involved spending time on the phone and faxing a letter---sigh!

Then I developed my medical condition. When I once again got a jury questionnaire, my doctor wrote a note stating that I was unable to sit for long periods. That should have had them leave me alone permanently. I wish! Last year, I got another jury questionnaire. So...I ended up having to call and ask why, despite having this condition, I was sent the questionnaire. The woman on the other end of the line told me that they could be charged with discrimination if they didn't send out questionnaires to those with documented medical conditions. So...once again, I had to send another fax.

I don't understand. We live in one of the fastest growing areas of the country yet it seems that the same people keep getting pestered over and over again.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,035,266 times
Quote:

This seems like a contradiction to me, because I would think if that is your viewpoint, you might actually want to be seated on a jury that, if not for you, would wrongly convict someone just for being non-white or poor. You could have made a difference to that one starfish.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,353,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I understand you have been jaded by the experience of seeing just laws applied unjustly and unjust laws applied against minorities, while others get a pass. However, did you ever consider that by refusing to participate in the judicial system that you are potentially letting some bigot take your place on a jury?

If you really feel strongly about justice, wouldn't it be better for you to participate, and simply refuse to vote for a conviction, or are you just using opposition to an unfair and unjust system as an excuse to not participate?
I agree. If you want to fix a problem, be part of the solution: serve as an honest and conscientious juror who considers the arguments of both sides before deciding whether the government has met its burden of proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics