Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of silent movies, and old movies in general. The best of the silent movies, are still very watchable. My favourites are 'Greed' (1924) directed by the great Erich von Stroheim, 'The Crowd' (1928) directed by King Vidor, and 'Birth Of A Nation' (1915) directed by the magnificent D W Griffith. This is a difficult to watch film in some ways. The casual racism from 100 years ago, is embarrassing to watch today. But, Griffith was a genius, and was the first to tell a story with devices still used now. Close ups, fast cutting, flashbacks......... he is forgotten by most today, but not by old movie fans.

A few later studio bosses, like Louis B Mayer at MGM earned a fortune exhibiting 'Birth Of A Nation.' It's probably, allowing for inflation, the highest grossing film ever. The money Mayer earned from this film, helped him, among with others, form MGM in the 1920s.

I also love American films of the 30s and 40s. It seems astounding, the movie stars of this period are unknown to the young. Once household names like Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, and many others, are drifting into history. But the best movies made at that time, are still very watchable. They were fascinating personalities, and had, what were known as 'Vehicles' written especially for them. What movie star of today wouldn't like the same? These people, under contract at the major studios, would make about four films a YEAR. Hard to imagine nowadays. These studios were actual factories, and the product they made were films.

I had the great good fortune to meet three of the major movie stars of the 30s and 40s. They did not disappoint me, and I remember them with great fondness. James Stewart, Ingrid Bergman, and Mickey Rooney live on in my memory. I will never forget meeting these great movie stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,236,823 times
Today's Question:
Are you a fan of any of the following kinds of movies:
Silent?
Black & white?
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films?
Art films?
"B" movies?
Computer animated movies?
Other?
I'm not a movie fan.

Bonus Question:
Is there a movie character you identify with, or just love?
Not really
If so, who, and why?

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your comapnion?

I would take whoever in my house would want to see a movie. As for snacks, I'd probably get a big bucket of popcorn. I'm not sure what we would see, the movies around here are quite expensive. But we are getting a dollar theater soon, although I'm not sure when that place will finally open, it's been under construction for months.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times
Mornin. Okay, if my laptop ever posts the Official Qs, just ignore them and stick with these.
Again I apologize. Computer problems are such a bummer. I'm having some with my laptop lately, too, and it's very frustrating.

Today's Question:
Silent? Sure. I think they're fun!
Black & white? Yep. Doesn't matter to me, in most cases, whether the film is B&W or color.
Colorized black & white? No. I'd rather they leave the B&W films as they are.
Foreign films? Yes.
Art films? I'm not sure which ones fall in this category; not sure whether I've seen one or not.
"B" movies? I don't know what a B movie is.
Computer animated movies? Yes. I enjoy these.
Other?

Bonus Question:
Is there a movie character you identify with, or just love? Inspector Clouseau.
If so, who, and why? That character just cracks me up!

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your companion? Buttered popcorn and Diet Coke or water.

Hope your day goes well everyone! Happy Hump Daaaaaaay!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 AM

38,945 posts, read 22,950,840 times
Today's Question:
Silent?
Black & white? <--Certain ones
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films? <--Certain ones
Art films?
"B" movies?
Computer animated movies? <--Many of these
Other? Comedies, as long as they're not profane.

Bonus Question:
Is there a movie character you identify with, or just love? Sorry, nothing comes to mind.

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your comapnion? Probably my work partner and his wife, since I know they're movie buffs. We'll get a bunch of bon-bons.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:26 AM

24,510 posts, read 26,056,201 times
Today's Question:
Silent?
Black & white?
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films?
Art films?
"B" movies?
Other?
Documentary, action.

Bonus Question:
No one in particular.

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your companion?
I'd take The Super Chief, get a large buttered popcorn and a couple of drinks.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 AM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Today's Question:
Silent? At one time, not now.
Black & white? Yes, especially thrillers like Hitchcock's.
Colorized black & white? Some are okay.
Foreign films? No.
Art films? No.
"B" movies? Some are hilarious.
Computer animated movies? No. .
Other?

Bonus Question:
Is there a movie character you identify with, or just love? Nope.

If so, who, and why? n/a

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your companion? Not a movie fan these days, so I'd give the passes away to someone who'd appreciate them.

Hope your day goes well everyone! You too....

"Happy Thanksgiving" to everyone.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM

16,907 posts, read 16,152,039 times
fried chicken for din-din tonight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin.

Silent?
Black & white?
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films?
Art films?
"B" movies?
Other

Nope, nope, hell nope, nope, hell lordy nope, don't know what that means, nope and none.

~ Animal stars.

If so, who, and why?

~ I love them because I love the animals.

If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your comapnion?

~ I have nobody to go with me.

Hope your day goes well everyone!
Thanks and happy-sappy gravy trains to everyone!

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-26-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 10:19 AM

715 posts, read 1,235,389 times
Today's Question:

Silent?
Black & white?
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films?
Art films?
"B" movies?
Other?
Yes to all of these. Being a film major in college, I had to watch every single kind of these. I can't remember how many times I had to watch Un Chien Andalou and Chinatown. I swear, Chinatown is the modus operandi for great filmmaking, according to the film school I went to. Hey, I like Chinatown though. Film school introduced me to Fellini and a beautiful film called Nights of Cabiria. Also, Kubrick...another great one. I also dig Hitchcock. Whoops, going off topic of films.

Bonus Question:
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure. I really liked the characters in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr). Their interaction was great. Also Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason's characters in In Bruges.

If so, who, and why?
I am a fan of great dialogue and in both instances, all the characters have fantastic interactions and both have great stakes involved with their relationship.

Just for Fun:
Oh boy. I'd take FH. He and I snack on a giant bucket of popcorn every time at the theater. It's his favorite snack. I'd also say probably Twizzlers and a bag of Snickers.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,215 times
Today's Question:
Silent? No
Black & white? Not a big fan but I enjoy some
Colorized black & white? Ditto
Foreign films? Started to get into foreign films more since living in Finland because they show more foreign films on the telly (I can't remember ever seeing any on the telly back in England) although it is a bit hard to understand them when the subtitles are in Finnish - much easier if I can read the subtitles in English. And I enjoy a lot of Finnish films, even without subtitles nowadays.
Art films? Some
"B" movies? Some
Computer animated movies? Some
Other?

Bonus Question:
Is there a movie character you identify with, or just love? Not really. I do love a lot of characters but none in particular.

If so, who, and why?

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your comapnion? I'd take my best friend and get some pic n mix and fizzy pop

Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,872,415 times
Today's Question:
Silent?
Black & white?
Colorized black & white?
Foreign films?
Art films
?
"B" movies?
Other? Musicals/Performing Arts such as Phantom or Rent, Mystery/Suspense

Bonus Question:

If so, who, and why? Atticus Finch, George Bailey come to mind first.

Just for Fun:
If you won 2 free passes to a movie at your favorite theater, including all the movie snacks you want, who would you take, and what tasty treats would you buy for yourself and your companion? Grand daughters & whatever they'd like for snacks.

I'm on another loaned laptop, watching the snow fall & needing to start cooking for tomorrow! Happy day, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics