Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM

13,015 posts, read 19,002,704 times

Advertisements

Smartphone yes. Internet, no. I need it for work. And when I was out of work I needed it to search for work. Maybe after retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,284,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Ashley, that reminds me of an outdoor concert I went to, where I saw three teens girls taking at least half of the concert's time taking obviously staged and fake "look at us acting crazy" fake poses/selfies....just essentially staged, not really taking a pic of something already organically happening......this went on the entire concert, of which they seemed to be there just to document the same on Facebook/Instagram...
This may account for the fact that most of these photos look as if the subjects were saying "oink" instead of "cheese."

Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,303,528 times
I don't own a smartphone. Well, technically I do have a Blackberry - this is provided as a perk by my company. But it's not really a smartphone (it's not the latest BBs that are attempting to mimic latter day iPhones and Android phones). People are always surprised - "but you're so technically savvy..."

I say my technical savvy is the reason I DON'T have a smartphone.

Internet? I don't think it would benefit me to do so. I use the internet for news, current events, paying all my bills, doing most of my shopping, a few of my hobbies, some of my communication, a lot of my work, and a lot of my entertainment.

A friend of mine recently ditched his smartphone and minimized his online presence (outside of work). I asked him if everything was okay when he ceased to exist on Facebook - this shows my bias, my flawed assumption that if someone is withdrawing there might be something wrong - and he told me he was reading Who Owns the Future? by Jaron Lanier and decided to make some positive changes.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,686,858 times
I dont have a smart phone, and only got cable when my MiL came to live with us. She paid for it to feed her QVC addiction.
The best, most productive part of my life, I didn't have a TV, didnt even know what shows were on except when the newspaper might run a story on them. "Who shot Jr", "Luke n Laura" etc, etc . . . lol
My retirement dream is to move to a cabin in the woods and not have any of the stuff we 'need' right now . . . No tv, no internet, nothing

Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,113,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ie, the photo looks great on the computer on FB but when you print it out to put it in an 8X10 box frame, you see distortions that weren't there in the original. I think it's because a compression occurs in the FB upload.
FB is not the only way to share photos with family. If you are sharing them for people to look through and print out the ones they like, you would be better off going through Walgreens photos, shutterfly, drop box, etc. I always use drop box since I already have it on my phone and computer to save any picture I take. I then can create a link and email it out to any friends/family who are interested in printing out the pictures.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,760,111 times
I often wonder if I could do this. I would love to cut off cable TV, internet and cell phones (think of the $aving$ !!!) but I can't imagine living totally without them. I know. Ridiculous.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,093,232 times
Could I do it? of course, but I have no desire to

Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,131,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Interesting pick of situation because that is not so perfect.

Ie, the photo looks great on the computer on FB but when you print it out to put it in an 8X10 box frame, you see distortions that weren't there in the original. I think it's because a compression occurs in the FB upload.
I'd classify that as an unintended consequence of a non-tech savvy person making a mistake. Anyone that's done digital prints before knows to start with the original uncompressed image if available.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,209,592 times
I would never be able to get my work done in a timely manner without the net. The amount of research that goes into a healthcare IT implementation would be very difficult if not impossible to do without the tools the web has given us.

Also, I'd have to go to the bank, and buy stamps to pay my bills. Yuck.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,889,921 times
Websites about chucking such technologies as the internet...

Sure. I could. But why?

I'm not afraid of change. I'm not upset with technological progression. And I do not idealize the past (and, invariably, people only idealize that part of the past with which they grew up - almost never the more distant past - and, after all, the things of their childhood were cutting edge the time).

I have a mobile phone. Why? It's convenient, not because most people have one. Do I use the internet on it? Very rarely (ie, less than once/month) - that most people do so far more often does not matter to me. Do I use the internet? Yes, daily - because I like it. Do I have cable TV? No, nor a dish, and the fact that most people have one or the other means nothing to me.

People act like they're helpless to live as they wish. They need to quit whining about doing what everyone else does. Don't like it? Then stop doing it! And please, stop being a martyr about supposedly having to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics