Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times

Advertisements

I love my Wife dearly, but..truth be told...I can be telling her something very important and she will just interrupt me and talk over me as though what she had to say (probably about Oprah) was more important than what I was saying. When she is done she doesn't even acknowledge that I was talking and that she interrupted me.
Ever try to follow a conversation with a bunch of females? They all talk at the same time yet know what the others are saying. Since we already have a thread entitled "Is it true that men don't listen?" I figured it would be fair to start this one.
Come on guys, we may be outnumbered but let's give it a shot!...don't be chicken!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Ok I'll join in, my wife does do that but I just figure if she doesn't get it out right then and there she will forget to tell me something important. On the other hand most guys that talk over me are just doing it to one up me...just my opinion....there i'm all done sucking up...lol

Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 AM

MODS NOTE:

Why was this thread moved out of other topics?

An identical thread asking if men listen is still there, and I started this one as a humorous response.

Had I known this I would not have started the thread?????

UncleBatz

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
I love my Wife dearly, but..truth be told...I can be telling her something very important and she will just interrupt me and talk over me as though what she had to say (probably about Oprah) was more important than what I was saying. When she is done she doesn't even acknowledge that I was talking and that she interrupted me.
Ever try to follow a conversation with a bunch of females? They all talk at the same time yet know what the others are saying. Since we already have a thread entitled "Is it true that men don't listen?" I figured it would be fair to start this one.
Come on guys, we may be outnumbered but let's give it a shot!...don't be chicken!!

Well, in my case, it was a little different with the woman I'm now with. In fact, I am (was) guilty of being the blabbermouth with her. One night she called me out on it. I am one of those who does like to talk when I'm comfortable with who I'm with. So, I tried to smooth things over by telling her that the reason I over-talked her was because she was so easy to talk to. That didn't fly too well, and I have made a deliberate effort to listen to her more. And I'm not being a chicken about it here. The fact is, she was right, and I'm just being honest enough to admit it. But even though she has higher degrees in education than I do, I'm still MUCH smarter than she is!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, in my case, it was a little different with the woman I'm now with. In fact, I am (was) guilty of being the blabbermouth with her. One night she called me out on it. I am one of those who does like to talk when I'm comfortable with who I'm with. So, I tried to smooth things over by telling her that the reason I over-talked her was because she was so easy to talk to. That didn't fly too well, and I have made a deliberate effort to listen to her more. And I'm not being a chicken about it here. The fact is, she was right, and I'm just being honest enough to admit it. But even though she has higher degrees in education than I do, I'm still MUCH smarter than she is!
Ah herd dat!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
I come from a long line of interrupters. My parents are notoriously interrupt anyone with some funny antidote or memory. They have no idea they do it. I wasn't even aware they did it until a was about 20 and attempted to tell them good news at the dinner table and one of them interrupted and then they both went on, not realizing they didn't hear my story.

Even now, I can call them with another great story about my day or their grandchild and they interrupt and we talk for sometime and say goodbye and I then realize I didn't get to tell them what I called them for.

I rarely get a word in.

I, ever my parents daughter, didn't realize that I too interrupted until about 10 years ago, so now I concentrate on not interrupting anyone and apologize when I do. I've come a long way.

Perhaps it is a behavior your wife learned by being interrupted within her own family.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
I don't think we can completely generalise about sexes here - although my mum is a world class interrupter, my boyfriend is a close second if we have wine and haven't caught up all week. :-)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its not a girl thing, its a manners thing no?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
Yes! It's a manners thing.

My MIL will ask me a question that requires more than a yes or no answer and when I attempt to answer her - and I'm not long winded, mind you - she will interrupt what I'm saying to talk to my husband. I got to the point where when she would ask me a question I would ask her if she really wants to know.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
Bunky:
I started this thread as a humorous response to one entitled "Do men really listen?". I thought it would be funny to put the shoe on the other foot...BUT...some Mod decided to move the thread out of Other Topics to Relationships where it just isn't working. It is too serious here and it was meant to poke fun.
UncleBatz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics