Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times

Advertisements

I have been following this story about Emily Gillette who was breast-feeding her child on board a Freedom Airlines flight which had been delayed three hours. A flight attendant had ordered Gillette off the flight when she refused to cover herself with a blanket as the stewardess had asked her to. Gillette had been sitting in a window seat in the back of the plane when the stewardess approached her as she breast fed and her breast was not exposed apparently. Delta Airlines, which owns Freedom Airlines, apologized afterwards and the flight attendant has been "disciplined"..
But this brought up a question in my mind. I've seen women breast feed in public many times and it's usually pretty discreet. You don't see much, plus, it's natural and everyone knows a baby is much healthier when provided his or her mother's breast milk.
What I was surprised with though in this case was that the child being breast fed by Gillette is 2 years old... I thought that was a bit strange. What is the usual age that mothers stop breast feeding their babies? 2 just seemed a bit old to me. Am I wrong? What is the thought on that?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
My wife stopped when the kids hit 1.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
I think I've read somewhere that many parents follow the "...If their old enough to ask for it, they're too old..." approach. To me that seems to be a pretty reasonable.

I think both my sister and I were eating solid (or regular) food only, before our 1st birthday.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
When a baby is bottle feed, you stop giving them formula at 12mo.
I was always told to introduce the cup early (water). This makes it easier for a baby to go from a bottle to a cup. So...........

Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Things have changed a lot in the last few decades so who knows what's proper anymore? BUT I do think the woman should've had enough sense to cover herself properly. I believe you stated that the attendant merely asked her to cover herself up.

When I was a child in the 50s, I was given whole cow's milk. At that time, introducing solids into the child's diet was encouraged very early. I began eating mashed potatoes and pudding by 6 weeks.

During my child rearing years (the 70s), my Dr. encouraged me to introduce solids at about 6 weeks also. I was told they should be giving up the bottle by one year. Now there are theories out that we messed up the digestive system of our children for giving them solids too early. Personally, I feel it's one of those situations. (BLAME YOUR PARENTS) Forget about all the pop and junk food they've eaten for 30 years. They're having digestive problems and it leads back to the first year.

While I'm on a roll here, again in the 50s people were encouraged to have their children pot trained in the area of one year old. Of course, there were always accidents for several months later, but it can be done. I followed that same suggestions. Now there are studies that suggest we caused psychological damage to our children because they should not have to worry about going to the bathroom until they are three years old

Sorry about the rant. I've been accused by my child of bad parenting because of both of those things.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
I just found this on my local news website.

Oregon mothers nurse babies as show of support for traveler

Portland,OR (AP)- Most say breast feeding is a natural thing to do and is heathy for a baby.

But some dont think mothers should be allowed to do- breast feed in public areas. So up to 40 mothers nursed their infants near a Delta Air Lines ticket counter Tuesday at Portland International Airpoort.

They did it to show solidarity for a women ejected from a Delta flight in October. Emily Gillette refused to cover herself while breast feeding her baby on the airplane.

Today a number of demostrations were held at major U.S Airports.

The Portland mothers say its wrong to think that mothers must cover their breast and babies while nursing in public.

They say that it makes infants hot.
and it interrupts the eye contact that builds a bond between mother and child

Old 11-22-2006, 09:57 AM

164 posts, read 353,290 times
Default breast feeding

I've had 4 kids, and my youngest is 2. I believe one year is about the time mothers stop nursing. However, there are studies that show breast milk is so beneficial that nursing into toddlerhood is a good thing, and that society just hasn't caught on to it. Like MoMark, I've never encountered a woman breastfeeding in an inappropriate way. Even without a blanket, it's pretty easy to be discreet since the baby's head blocks most of the view. And if this woman on the plane was by the window, she probably wasn't that visible to many people. Plus, it's not a sexy feeling or a sexy image, so neither the mother nor the public are really thinking in those terms, which I think helps to keep the whole thing discreet and natural. There are still some who don't get it, but I think generally things are improving. Here in California, it's against the law to interfere with a woman breastfeeding in public. (Those crazy Californians!)

As far as Jammie's "rant" - I think you are so right about how things change over time re baby care, and how mothers are made to feel that they gave inadequate care to their child just because the thinking has changed. I'm still a mom of young children, but I can already see the "blame" I will receive when my children are adults and they do things differently with their kids!

With each child I've had, I've become more convinced that the "old school" way of doing many things was best. Less is better. Sure, there are lots of improvements, I don't deny that. But so much of baby care now is nothing more than marketing, and the creation of baby products that aren't necessary. For example, my sister in law believes that children should use the toilet when they are ready, even if that is age 4, because they shouldn't ever be upset and they are in charge of their own bodies. She's read several books that say so. Personally, I think the diaper people got together with the mental health people, and together they created books and diapers to enourage that thinking because it makes money. Another example - diaper bags. I stopped carrying a diaper bag when my oldest was 6 months. Instead, I used a larger purse (but not huge) and carried 2 diapers, travel wipes, burp cloth, and pacifier (I nursed, so no bottle, but a bottle would have kept for a few hours). In the car I kept a spare change of clothes and blanket. 4 kids - never a problem. Not once. But women walk around with diaper bags loaded down with crap they don't need, which I think is depressing for the woman because you feel less mobile and "mommie-fied." And the baby doesn't need stuff because the outing itself is stimulating to the senses. Plus when you have a baby, you're usually only out for a few hours, not all day. But the baby industry has us believing that we need everything, so we all buy it.

Sorry - guess I started my own rant ....

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I breatfeed both of my children. One I did until she was 6 months but supplemented w/ formula. She readily took both and that was great for babysitters, the church nursery, etc. She did have some kind of digestive problem and it was not just w/ the formula. She SPEWED!!! All the time. When we finally ditched the breastfeeding and went to just a plain formula not the soy she was fine. So all of those things about soy being better and such did not follow true w/ her.

My other child took to breastfeeding so well right off that the nurses at the hospital joked if she could give lessons. Well, 5 days later, she refused. Gee, thanks kid. It was me not her that ended up being the problem. With her I used the Carnation Good Start as I was told by a nutrional expert that it was just as good as the others and much cheaper and the only reason doctors don't recommend it is because Nestle does not give samples to the doctors. LOL!!! No problems for her on it at all.

When my oldest went for her one year check up the doctor asked if I had already put her on whole milk. HUH? No. They told me I could at 11 months. Same goes when I started asking other moms, they all got the same thing from their doctors. Well, tell us that beforehand. We could have saved a ton of money on formula. Now my youngest had a full set of teeth at one year and was eating solids early.

When I was breastfeeding I did not like doing it in public and did not. Even in private I was discreet. Guess I'm more modest . I understand there is nothing sexual about it or anything but I believe it is just proper. If we took it to the extreme that it is perfectly natural so are a lot of other things. I don't care to see some man doing perfectly "natural" things in public.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I have no problem with a mama breastfeeding in public, so long as it is discreet. A blanket may or may not be necessary; it depends on how the mother does it, or how much the baby may be wiggling around, to the point of overexposure. I breastfed my two children in public, on occasion, but I always used a light blanket to cover myself, (I also tried to find an empty room or at least a quiet spot, where possible). I didn't want to be embarrassed, by accidentally exposing myself, particularly with a man in the room, nor did I want anyone else to be overly uncomfortable. Not everyone is used to seeing a woman breastfeed, and ladies need to take this into consideration, when out in public. That is not to say that other folks out in public need to get Puritanical about it. Simply put, a little common sense and compromise on both sides would do wonders.

As to age, I would have to agree with ColdCanadian...if the child can ask, they are too old, in my opinion, (and, by age two, most children can ask. So, personally, I think that would be a good age to stop, if one hasn't already weaned their child). After all, I don't think too many people would be comfortable seeing a toddler pulling at his mother's breast. It would probably be best for those who want to continue breastfeeding beyond this time, to do so at home. My step-daughter breastfed each of her four children until they were around a year old, give or take.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Well, I do know of some women that were proud of their attributes and were NOT discreet no matter where they were. I've seen some women openly breastfeed w/ no manner of being discreet about them. Sitting in the middle of a crowded mall or the table of a busy restaurant with bare breasts while you get ready to feed, change sides, whatever is not appropriate. I've seen it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics