Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 AM

27,383 posts, read 27,427,661 times

Advertisements

New jeans, actually I like mine kinda stiff, which lounge doing instead of dryer drying, helps.
Shoes, usually after s couple of days they feel 'broke in'.
No parking garage. I prefer the ones at the airports instead of leaving my car parked in the sun, but it costs more than I choose to spend, so.....
No, I don't do restaurants with formal tie shirts or formal dress up, I'm a small ma and pa coffee shop kind of person.
Thanks for the questions, have a great day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,715,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven;Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? If they don't feel/look good when I try them on then I don't buy them.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? A couple f days.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? No.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? No.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? No.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? No.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ?

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Rarely.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? Coins...at least it did the last time I used a meter which was a little over 3 years ago.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Rarely.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Yes and Yes.

Just for Fun:
Have you been to an event or restaurant with...
coat-check service/cloakroom? A long time ago.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?Yes.
valet parking A long time ago.
[URL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloakroom#Attendants[/url]

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol)
1934: Birth of author Joan Didion (The Year of Magical Thinking)
1944: Birth of actor Jeroen Krabbé (The Fugitive, Ocean’s Twelve)
1952: Air pollution & fog create the Great Smog of London which lasts for several days, causing thousands of fatalities
1955: Start of the Montgomery AL bus boycott, after the arrest of Rosa Parks
1958: Britain’s first motorway (controlled-access highway) opens, the Preston By-pass
1968: Birth of actress & comedian Margaret Cho (Face/Off)
1976: Birth of actress Amy Acker (Angel, Alias)

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
National Sacher Torte Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life.”
-John Stuart Mill

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today
Thanks, cloven.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
[quote=cloven;46404706]Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? Six months maybe. But when I lived in NYC I used to buy used jeans in a store that sold only used jeans.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? I buy mine through the mail and it usually is about a week.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? No, but I am collecting a pile of clothing, shoes, etc. to take to a charity store next week.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Not in many years, they seem to last as long as the sneakers or boots.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? Heaven forfend.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? No. I have to say that returning an item here seems to be greeted with a lot of suspicion by the stores.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? More than ten years.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? I think they only accept money.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Once or twice a week.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? There are two garages. One only has a machine and no attendant on the premises at all. The main garage dispenses a ticket when you pull up to the entrance and you pay at a machine (money only), but there is an office right by the entrance and exit.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? Many times
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? A few times, I got to the point where I was so sick of a jacket and tie that I began avoiding places and events that required one.
valet parking ? Only one, about 50 years ago in FL.

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloakroom#Attendants

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman When I started listening to Rhythm n Blue in the early Fifties, this man was an incredible experience. He face belongs on Mt. Rushmore.
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol) My grandmother was president of the WCTU in her town...a fact that seems almost bizarre at this point.
1934: Birth of author Joan Didion (The Year of Magical Thinking) Interesting book, worthwhile read for almost anyone, I think.

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day - Yeah, every day!
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Thought for the Day:
“There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life.”
-John Stuart Mill

Early this a.m. I came across a quote along similar lines...

They are best off who know that they do not know.
They are worst off who claim to know but do not.

Lao Tzu

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today

...and an end to the days of rain, enough already.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,659,114 times
Default Monday Monday

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? a couple wearings
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? forever
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? necklace
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? yes
you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? no

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? yes
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? store credit (Costco)

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? once or twice a year
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? coin or credit card
How often do you use a parking garage ? frequently
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? both

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? yes
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? no
valet parking ?[/b][/color] yes

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol)
1952: Air pollution & fog create the Great Smog of London which lasts for several days, causing thousands of fatalities
1958: Britain’s first motorway (controlled-access highway) opens, the Preston By-pass

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-John Stuart Mill

[/quote]

Old 12-05-2016, 06:15 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,458,483 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? Haven't worn denim in years.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ?
I don't recall any breaking in.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? Nothing I can think of.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Many times.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?
I remember a fad years ago on sneakers. Maybe it's still done. Sneakers in stores these days look to
have very bright laces. I don't have any though.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Wrong flavor of juice.
Exchanged.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Not often.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? Usually coin operated.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Once in a while.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Booth or dispenser.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ?
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?
valet parking ?

Have a resplendent day.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:55 AM

36,452 posts, read 16,059,117 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? Not long
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? They are immediately comfortable or I don't buy them.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ?
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? No
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? No

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Not for a long time.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Not very often, only when in California
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ?
How often do you use a parking garage ? Only at the airport.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? No
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? No
valet parking ? Couple of times

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 AM

7,384 posts, read 5,498,327 times
]Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? A couple washings
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? A few days
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? Yes, some clothes
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? No
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? I have a pair of walking shoes with light green laces.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Not lately.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Never. We don't have them around here anymore
How often do you use a parking garage ?
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ?yes
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? Yes
valet parking ?
. Yes

Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 AM

14,818 posts, read 8,151,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ?
N/A - I don't wear Jeans nowadays.
Usually they are okay from the beginning.
Yes, a few things.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ?
Yes, but it has been awhile.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?
I had pink jogging shoes with pink/gray shoe strings.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? No, not in awhile.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Almost never, it's been years and years
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? ?????
How often do you use a parking garage ? Very rarely.
Both

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? Yes
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?

Yes valet parking ? Yes

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-John Stuart Mill

ditto!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? I remove the tags and wear them immediately with no problem.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? It they fit, right away.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? I threw out a pair of house shoes this morning. The leather tops and insides were still in great shape but the Chinese made soles were broken with chunks falling out.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? I have this year.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? I think so.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Not recently.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? I think that would be in New Orleans in the 1980s.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Most often at airports when I traveled.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? They varied.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? The only time I recall was in the mid 1960s when I assisted my then future wife in checking coats at an Elks Lodge dance at Clovis, NM. That night I met members of the band Fireballs (Sugar Shack, Bottle of Wine, Torquay,. ..) when an intoxicated Elk member backed his car into a big snow bank and I helped a couple of the band members push him out of it.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? See below.
valet parking ? Yes. Once at a restaurant in Sedona, AZ, a few of us had just come out of the field and wanted to get something decent to eat. Obviously we weren't dressed for the occasion and the restaurant literally told us "to leave." They were gracious enough to return our rental car to the front door and escort us to it though.

Thought provoking questions Cloven on this Monday morning. Thanks.

I have visitors coming in for the holidays so I may not be around CD for a few days.

Here's a lesson about house guests. If you want to have family visit you, don't live in New Orleans, Washington D.C. or any other interesting and touristy place. Buy an old rundown west Texas farm where there is nothing to see but wind and dirt. You'll have more visitors at more times than you can shake a stick at.

It's odd that it took me a lifetime to figure this out. I like family members as house guests.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,237,092 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? The ones I wear don't really need to get worn in.
About a week or so.
Yes, a pair of undies and a pair of socks, that developed holes in them.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ?
No
No
Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ?
Haven't had to return anything lately.
Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? It's pretty rare that I do. I usually use garages when I go somewhere with meters; I haven't parallel parked since my driver's test.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? Most accept coins. A few places now have these kiosks which print a receipt that you display on your windshield instead.
How often do you use a parking garage ? About once or twice a month.
Every one I've ever used has had a ticket dispenser where you pay at a machine before you return to your car.
Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? The restaurant I work at has a coat room, although it's rarely used for that purpose. It's mostly a storage room.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? No
valet parking ? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics