Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,411,118 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday January 23, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ?
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ?
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ?

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ?
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ?
If so, which size/color/shape ?
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ?

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ?

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ?
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ?

Today in History:
1849: Elizabeth Blackwell becomes first woman to earn a medical degree in the US, from Geneva Medical College
1928: Birth of actress Jeanne Moreau (Jules and Jim, La Femme Nikita)
1944: Birth of actor Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner, Ladyhawke)
1950: Birth of actor Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver, Stargate SG-1)
1957: Inventor Fred Morrison sells the Pluto Platter Flyin-Saucer, forerunner of the modern "Frisbee", to toy company Wham-O
1960: The bathyscaphe Trieste (first vehicle/seacraft to reach the Challenger Deep section of the Mariana Trench) & its crew of two travel to a record-setting 35,797 feet under the Pacific Ocean
1963: Birth of actress Mariska Magdolna Hargitay (L&O: SVU)
1964: Ratification of the 24th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting levying of a “poll tax” in federal elections
1997: Madeline Albright becomes the first female (US) Secretary of State
2003: Last signal from Pioneer 10, a NASA space probe launched 30 years earlier to study Jupiter

Today’s Word:
munificent /myo͞oˈnifəsənt/ (adj.): Financially generous, giving, philanthropic.

Today Is:
National Handwriting Day
National Rhubarb Pie Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower middle-

Thought for the Day:
“…it is the duty of a newspaper to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”
-Finley Peter Dunne, paraphrased in the 1960 film “Inherit the Wind”

Wishing you a day that offers up a bounty of joys and delights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 AM

44,737 posts, read 62,007,820 times

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ? 63
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ? From different travel destinations we've been too.
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? Grandkids photos.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ? Many.
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? Sometimes.
If so, which size/color/shape ? 2" and 3" squared, various colors.
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ? Home, work is a naugghty word around here.

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ? No.

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? Yes.
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? Yes, both.

Wishing you a day that offers up a bounty of joys and delights You too cloven.

Last edited by wit-nit; 01-23-2017 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,135,011 times

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ? A few.
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ? A mix ...
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ?
Mostly kids stuff and a picture.
Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ?
If so, which size/color/shape ? Different sizes and colors.

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ?

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1849: Elizabeth Blackwell becomes first woman to earn a medical degree in the US, from Geneva Medical College
1957: Inventor Fred Morrison sells the Pluto Platter Flyin-Saucer, forerunner of the modern "Frisbee", to toy company Wham-O
1960: The bathyscaphe Trieste (first vehicle/seacraft to reach the Challenger Deep section of the Mariana Trench) & its crew of two travel to a record-setting 35,797 feet under the Pacific Ocean
1964: Ratification of the 24th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting levying of a “poll tax” in federal elections
2003: Last signal from Pioneer 10, a NASA space probe launched 30 years earlier to study Jupiter

Today’s Word:
munificent /myo͞oˈnifəsənt/ (adj.): Financially generous, giving, philanthropic.

Today Is:
National Handwriting Day .....
National Rhubarb Pie Day

Thought for the Day:
“…it is the duty of a newspaper to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-23-2017 at 12:52 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 AM

21,699 posts, read 8,838,121 times

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count)?
It would be hard to say because, along with regular fridge magnets, I also have a set of German language magnets that you can use to create sentences.
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses?
Again it would be hard to say because the business magnets got chucked in the trash right away, and I couldn't even estimate how many there have been.
My guess is that I have probably received more than I've bought. Just recently I received a set of vintage San Francisco-themed magnets as a Christmas gift.
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door?
No, although I have done that in the past.
Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen)?
Yes, several.
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes?
Not as often as I used to, but I still use them.
If so, which size/color/shape?
Various colors; mostly rectangular. I have some shaped like my first initial which were a gift from a friend. Because of the shape, they're not very practical.
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places?
Home

Bonus:
Yes, they are an ingredient in my Christmas cake recipe, and they are also good in salads.

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee?
Yes, as long as you don't stand too far away from me when you throw it.
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong?
Yes, both. I love table tennis, but I'm awful at badminton.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:20 AM

11,435 posts, read 9,371,802 times
Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ?

Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ? - Only one is a business - the CO-OP across the street from me.

Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? - No

Extra Credit:
- My backup pen is from my bank. My second favorite pen.

Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? - Sometimes

If so, which size/color/shape ? - Most are yellow and standard size,

Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ? - I do not use often but I always have them on hand - both places.

Bonus:
- Yes, Trader Joe's sells them. They also sell a good mix of raisins which I buy sometimes.

Just for Fun:
- Haven't done it in a while but sure.

Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? - Badminton - not since mid-teens. Ping-pong - last time was when I was in my early 20s.

Thanks, cloven.

Happy Monday to all!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 AM

16,772 posts, read 17,540,394 times
Hello cloven and all.

Today’s Question:

We have quite a lot- well over 50- from various places that we used to visit. We haven't been getting them for years now as the new fridge is not magnetic. They're on a board in the utility room.

Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ?

Almost all are travel ones from the US, Europe and elsewhere.

Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? No.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ? Quite a few.

If so, which size/color/shape ? Mainly small ones which act as page markers, but also square ones in various colours.

Bonus:

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? Haven't for a while, but yes.

Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? Both. Actually table tennis was my main sport for many years and I played at a pretty decent level.

Thanks cloven.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:42 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,708,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ? 55
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? No.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ? Many. I used to collect cool pens from doctor's offices.
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? Yes.
If so, which size/color/shape ? All. For the larger I pick the lined ones.
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ? Both but mostly work.

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ? Nope.

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? Fair enough but I don't like to run.

Thanks, Cloven.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:17 AM

14,972 posts, read 8,283,067 times

Today’s Question:
About a dozen I think.
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? No...not any more.

Extra Credit:
Yes, several.
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? No
If so, which size/color/shape ?

Bonus:

No....I like regular raisins though.

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? Yes.
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? Yes, I can, but not very well.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,876,086 times
Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ? Not more than a dozen
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ? Mostly made myself with sand dollars, starfish, smallish rocks
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? Not on the door, but on the side of the fridge. Pics of grands, artwork and notes from grands, pics of our farm.....

Extra Credit:
There might be a couple, but not that I use often.
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? More at school than at home.
If so, which size/color/shape ? Square, rectangular.... Yellow, pink, some have a K on them.
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ? ^^^^^

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ? Have & like them.

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? Well, I can but it is surprising when it goes where intended.
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? Yes to both. We have badminton set up on the lawn in the summer; had a ping-pong table set up in an apartment at the farm long ago.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Handwriting Day
National Rhubarb Pie Day

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Finley Peter Dunne, paraphrased in the 1960 film “Inherit the Wind” !!

Wishing you a day that offers up a bounty of joys and delights Thanks, cloven!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 AM

126,449 posts, read 19,226,394 times

Today’s Question:
How many (if any) fridge magnets do you have (roughly-it needn’t be an exact count) ? I have at least 9 or 10 magnets
Were they ones you bought/chose yourself-or ones that were given to you, either by friends or businesses ? from businesses and from travels
Do you have artwork or photos on (outside of) your fridge door ? Yes I have pictures in magnetic clear frames

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pen which advertises a company/product (other than brand name of the pen) ? Not at the moment
Do you use Post-It (sticky) notes ? Sometimes
If so, which size/color/shape ? square ones in a package of different colors like pink,blue,green,yellow,orange
Do you use them at work, at home, or both places ? at home

Bonus:
Have you tried golden/yellow raisins (called sultanas or currants in different countries) ? Yes I tried them and I use them in many recipes

Just for Fun:
Can you throw-and/or catch-a frisbee ? No I cannot
Have you played badminton or table tennis/ping-pong ? Yes to both and I especially like table tennis

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Handwriting Day
National Rhubarb Pie Day

Today’s Picture: Your colorful maze is beautiful

Thought for the Day:

Thank you cloven and a good Monday to everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics