Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times

Advertisements

This got started in a Christmas thread, someone commenting about getting expensive lure caught in whatever lies somewhere down in the water....

My main story about fishing is that my dad would always try to teach us how to fish on family camping trips. We'd end up with a few tiny unidentified fish that a more experienced fisher would toss back! It was kinda sad but we loved the old man for his honest attempts to be a traditional father. He just didn't have the instinct for it.

Well, with all that failure under our belts, the 4 of us kids have collectively done exactly ZERO fishing in the last 20 years (at least.) I love the IDEA of doing it, but Dad kinda gave us the impression it wasn't so fun and certainly didn't pay off .

Now, let's hear from the REAL fishermen/women out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,259 times
The only fishing story that comes to mind for me is about my husband and daughter. My husband likes to fish and wants our boys to like it too. But they are too active to sit and wait for a bite. But my daughter can sit patiently all day long.

So one time, while camping, they went off to fish. She was catching one fish after the next. About 50 feet away was a man trying so hard to catch just one. And here is this little girl, 10, who is just catching and releasing all these fish. He came over and asked my husband what bait she was using. My husband was using the same kind too, but he only caught a few.

That just makes me laugh. You could hear him grumbling "she caught another one"

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
...here is this little girl, 10, who is just catching and releasing all these fish. He came over and asked my husband what bait she was using. My husband was using the same kind too, but he only caught a few.
Hurray for kids! Sometimes they just have that magic touch. Fishing is part skill, part art. She had the secret ingredient that can't be taught so easily, whatever that might be. I sure wouldn't know cuz I can't catch a fish to save my life!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM

47 posts, read 58,584 times
Well, I dated an angler (large-mouth bass fishing mostly)for a long time. He was always fishing a tournament, checking out a new lake or something. One weekend he decided to just "go fishing" - no pressure of the tour - just go fishing. So.....we load up and head to Lake Palestine (east TX). Early the next morning we hit the water and found a nice cove to begin the day. Of course, I was on the back flipping deck while he was up front operating the trolling motor. In other words, I'm getting "used" water. I never said a word - just fished. He was having zero luck up front and I hadn't had many strikes with the spinner bait HE had chosen for me so I changed over to a 1/2 oz. rattle trap - white with a red head. He told me that was completely wrong for the area, depth, sky cover - it was just plain silly for me to use this lure according to him. But it wasn't long until I was getting bites and reeled in a nice bass. We always practiced catch and release so he'd come to the back and offer to unhook the thing just so he could check it out. He never cracked a smile or said anything positive. I kept using the rattle trap and he kept using the spinner bait. I continued to get fish. He continued to get nothing :-) After a while I see him head to a tackle box where he digs in and pulls out a red rattle trap! He ties it on, cast it out a couple of times and got it hung up in some tree branches just under the surface - maybe 4 to 5 feet down. He could not get the thing lose and refused to cut the line. All the while, I'm just fishing. And laughing on the inside. My Mr. Pro :-) I see him peeling off his clothes down to his boxer and in the water he goes! He must have went under 10 times but he finally got that lure! :-) He climbed back into the boat (I even helped him). Well, he was through with THAT fishing spot. He was gonna move to a a better location. He pulls the trolling motor up, gets behind the wheel and trys to head off and the boat isn't going anywhere - he's high centered on a stump! I never heard such cussing :-) He's goes back and forth and back and forth but nothing. Finally, back into the water he goes - under the boat, to the back of the boat and he finally rocks it loose. He speeds off towards the dock - completely ignoring the fact that we're in an area thick with trees - all of a sudden you hear this "whomp" and then a "whooshing" sound and we're slowing down. And slowing down....and slowing down. He trims up the motor up and he's lost his brass prop! By this time I'm about to pee my pants - he's stompin' and cussin' and promising to whip every a$$ in the county! :-)

He never caught a fish that weekend.

We never went on a "just fishing" trip again.

He now lives...somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics