Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in the most recent Economist entitled: No woman, no cry!

Professional criers are hired for funerals in the Congo. They should be professional enough to elicit tears from the other mourners as well.

Ostentatious grief is tied up with a traditional belief that the dead linger long after their pulses have stopped. "We believe that the dead person is not dead, they are watching us like a film. If you do not cry they will be angry." Angry ancestors are known to come back and disrupt the lives of their progeny. And it's shameful for a family member not to cry at a funeral. Their insouciance my be interpreted as a sign they might be responsible for their death with witchcraft. One of the trained mourners is to elicit tears in others.

But the criers are expensive, to hire ten women for a week of mourning costs $1500, and these criers also expect food, drink and transport costs.

How about you? Do you cry easily? Even if it's not for a family member? Would this be the type of job you might be interested in?

Me? Huh! I've only cried when I lost one of my ferrets. And not family members!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
well, not "professional", but there are traditional criers in AA USA churches.
they attend EVERY funeral and "do their thing" for their church and brethren.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Interesting article in the most recent Economist entitled: No woman, no cry!

Professional criers are hired for funerals in the Congo. They should be professional enough to elicit tears from the other mourners as well.

Ostentatious grief is tied up with a traditional belief that the dead linger long after their pulses have stopped. "We believe that the dead person is not dead, they are watching us like a film. If you do not cry they will be angry." Angry ancestors are known to come back and disrupt the lives of their progeny. And it's shameful for a family member not to cry at a funeral. Their insouciance my be interpreted as a sign they might be responsible for their death with witchcraft. One of the trained mourners is to elicit tears in others.

But the criers are expensive, to hire ten women for a week of mourning costs $1500, and these criers also expect food, drink and transport costs.

How about you? Do you cry easily? Even if it's not for a family member? Would this be the type of job you might be interested in?

Me? Huh! I've only cried when I lost one of my ferrets. And not family members!
I dont cry easily.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Irish communities in the 19th century usually had particular women who performed the same function. They were not hired, but they were deferred to and expected to supply a fitting performance and recitation over the deceased. Of course they got choice food and drink. There is a considerable literature on this.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Professional mourners, also called moirologists, are actors hired by family members to grieve at funerals and wakes. Professional mourning is not a new job. In many cultures it has been around for thousands of years. It dates back to China’s Emperor Wu of Han in 100 BC. People were paid to mourn in ancient Greece and Rome as well. In ancient Egypt, the number of mourners at the funeral represented the person’s status in the community. This created a big opportunity for professional mourners.
Thousands of years later and this unique job still exists!
While this profession has somewhat disappeared in recent times, it is slowly regaining popularity – especially in certain cultures. The result is that professional mourner jobs are increasing.

Job description:
To be a successful Professional Mourner aka Moirologists you must be an outgoing, confident, punctual, and respectful conversationalist. You must be professional and discrete as you are playing a large part of a complete stranger’s final send-off. And of course, you must be a superb actor with the ability to cry when needed.
In the UK a growing company called Rent A Mourner dominates this niche.
If you do find a professional mourner job, you can expect to make $30 to $120 per funeral. Funerals typically last 2 to 3 hours – making it possible to attend two funerals per day!

Trivia:
Professional mourner Hu Xinglian comes to work with a full sound system, multi-color spotlights and the six members of her band.
She and her brother perform elaborate costumed dance numbers before Liu performs her signature wail, crawling toward the coffin and pleading with the deceased loved one — whom she never knew, of course — to come back home.
https://money.howstuffworks.com/10-u...eve-exist2.htm

In the U.S., the Golden Gate Funeral Home in Fort Worth, Texas hires boisterous extras to get the tears flowing at its flashy "home-going celebrations".
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...ever-tv-407382

Old 03-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Irish communities in the 19th century usually had particular women who performed the same function. ....There is a considerable literature on this.
https://www.libraryireland.com/artic...1-31/index.php

Old 03-02-2019, 08:55 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Interesting. I cry easily when something touches me emotionally. I could probably make a fortune as a professional crier! *ha*

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Interesting. I cry easily when something touches me emotionally. I could probably make a fortune as a professional crier! *ha*

Going to put you on a list of people to attend my funeral!

Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM

This thread is aging, like the rest of us. But I just came across this book in a pile of magazines from Ireland.

Death and the Irish: a miscellany
Salvador Ryan, editor
Wordwell Ltd. (Dublin, 2016)

Wordwell Books: Archaeological and Historical Books Ireland

Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Huh. I suppose I could think particular thoughts to get myself going, but I don't want to. Makes me all snotty, gives me a headache. I don't figure that gross, ugly crying with a lot of loud nose blowing is the effect they're hoping for...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics