Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

I am up against the clock. I was let go from my job in August and I have been unsuccessful at finding anything. I have interviewed alot but I don't think I am doing to well. I think my morale is being sucked dry due to the job search process and it's "showing up" in my interviews. I just get sick and tired of begging people for a damn job. I am more than qualified for any job I apply for it's just a painful process. I am totally out of money and this time next week could be moving out of my place. I did not even pay this months rent. I gotta find something fast for 2 reasons. 1) I need to work and 2) I am just tired of this rollar coaster ride. I was going to start my business 3 years ago and never made the move. I am not saying things would be rosey, but atleast I would be doing something that I loved doing and possibly controlling my income since it was only going to be a 1 person homebased business.

I was thinking about getting a couple of part-time jobs and say to hell with trying to get the salary and benefits package that I need. And focus 100% on getting my business going!! I am sick of this stuff I have a Finance degree and lots of skills and my service business is related to Finance and sales. I am up against the wall and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I did have one job offer but they decided not to move foward(bastards). This is the second time I have been laid off(fired) since 2001. I hate corporate America!!!

Can anyone offer any advice/ I can't even sleep at night anymore. I gotta make something happen fast!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I’d go for the part time jobs as a temporary fix to help pay the bills, keep resumes going out for that special full time job you’re qualified for. And in the meantime look at what it takes to become self employed and move slowly into that area if nothing permanent.

I wish you well, there are many others in the same situation ~ so don’t give up hope.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I personally would take any job I could get my hands on if I had no money,but I would continue to send out resumes and more than likely when you least expect it a job offer that you prefer will come through. And like AksarbeN said I would slowly move onto your own business.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
The above two posters covered it all! Be sure to go to temp agencies too - they can have you working the next day. This rough patch will be past, soon enough

Old 04-12-2008, 05:21 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
Take a deep breath. Great advice from Aksarben.

NEVER EVER give up on your dream! You'll get there.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
With the way the job market is these days, regardless of what sjills you have, just grab whatever gets tossed your direction. Heck, I wanted full time, at the wage I was making before (or at least close to it) but after 2 months of unemployment, finally was offered a 30 hr week job at half the salary, but its a paycheck, better than a zero. A 2nd part time job might not be too bad if it was temporary, or until full rime comes available somewhere).

Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Good advice by all. I can't add anything more.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Just a thought. A lot of companies now do all new hires as part time or temp. This way they can see who will work and who wont. If you do a good job they move you to permanent. If you dont they can get rid of you with out all the legal stuff. Saves them from having to jump thru hoops to fire some goldbrick. My Huz's old company has always done this.

Maybe you could find a temp job in your field. Show them what an asset they would get if they hired you permanently. Even if they dont hire you permanently you wil be building on your network of job contacts. JMO. But the more people who know you and what kind of job you do the better. It has been my experience that all things being equal , people always chose the person they know over an unknown. Good luck. Try not to get discouaged.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,272 times
apply everywhere u can and u might get a job. im working 3 jobs cuz i applied every where i work at hollywood theaters and mcdonalds and jack in the box

Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
I wish you and everyone else in your position the very best, good luck in whatever choices you make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics